ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Biometric Residence Permit (ILR) lost abroad -Re-entry to UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nur1981
Newly Registered

Biometric Residence Permit (ILR) lost abroad -Re-entry to UK

Post by nur1981 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:01 am

Hi,

I am an Indian national with UK Indefinte Leave to Remain (ILR). I am currently buisness trip to Gabon ( in west africa) for six weeks and while travelling from London I have lost my Biomertic Residence Permit Card somewhere enroute.

I have informed the home office about the same and they have canceled my permit to avoid misuse. They have asked me to get a temporary BRP Replacement Visa from nearest UK Visa application centre before travelling back to UK.

Now the problem is that the country where I am in (Gabon). there is no UK Embassy (Only consulate), and all the residents of this country are required to go to neighbouring country Cameron to apply for a UK Visa. )

While I am not a resident in this country as well as I would need a Cameron Visa to go there and get a UK visa, It is not possible for me to get a BRP Replacement Visa before travelling back to UK. The other option for me is to travel back to my home country India to get a Visa before returning to UK. (which will be very difficult and time consuming)

I contacted UK consulate in Gabon but have not had any sucesses in reponse to an e-mail or speaking over phone ( No one speaks English in UK Consulate - Only French !!)

Now upon contacting my solicitor friend back in UK, He cited me couple of cases where people have travelled back with lost visas but had the supporting Home office letter (given at the time of ILR) and police report for lost item etc. and, after some difficulty, they were finally allowed to enter the country. He thinks its risky but can be tried.

I would like to know if you have any exeprience in similar situation with lost UK visas and wether it is worth trying to travel back to UK and plead the case to immigration officer at Heathrow arrival...

I will have orignal letter granting ILR, orignal police report and a copy of old Biometric permit with me before I travel back to UK.

Any feedback, advise or sharing of exepriences would is most appriciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:49 pm

The main issue is not convincing an IO to let you in but to board th flight to the UK without a valid visa. How did you plan to overcome that?

nur1981
Newly Registered

Post by nur1981 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:18 pm

Jumbo,

Thanks for your response.

I have an old UK workpermit visa stamp in my passport with a validity date of May 2013, (although in reality I got ILR before that) I am planning to show that to Airline to let me board the flight, and then explain my self to the immigration officer upon arrival.

Also I would be flying from Libervile (Gabon) to London via Frankfurt and using Lufthansa airline.

I would appriciate any thoughts / comments

Nurali

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:06 pm

Then once you get to the UK border and explain the situation, you should be fine. It might take a few minutes for the IO to verify your details but once it is confirmed, you should be allowed to enter.

nur1981
Newly Registered

Post by nur1981 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:33 pm

Thanks again Jambo,

I am planning to carry following papers to support my case

1. Orignal letter I got at the time of ILR
2. Copy of lost Biometric Card
3. Orignal police report for lost item
4. BRP Replacement Visa form (in case they asked for it).

Do you think this shoud be sufficient ?

Thanks again for your help

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:32 pm

I believe it would be enough.

apple0

Post by apple0 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:54 am

Did it work entering the UK without the original BRP and without obtaining a single-entry visa?

Does anyone know how long it takes them to process BRP(RC)? What happens if the payment doesn't go through? Will they return the application as invalid or call for payment?

afcdon83

Post by afcdon83 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:56 pm

apple0 wrote:Did it work entering the UK without the original BRP and without obtaining a single-entry visa?

Does anyone know how long it takes them to process BRP(RC)? What happens if the payment doesn't go through? Will they return the application as invalid or call for payment?
Takes approx 10 weeks(best case these days) after submitting application. Otherwise expect it to take around 12 to 18 weeks. Mine took around 12 weeks after submitting application