ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Wrongly classified as EU student

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jlolololo
Mood:
Ireland

Wrongly classified as EU student

Post by jlolololo » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:32 pm

Hello,

Hope someone can help:

My husband is a non EU citizen (citizen of an African country, lived whole life there). We live there together. I am a dual Irish UK citizen.

My husband is going to study in the UK in September, and filled in the fees assessment questionnaire from his chosen uni. They have written to him informing him that he is being classified as an EU student for fee purposes. Neither of us can understand why as he meets none of the criteria.

The fee difference is 9000 UK pounds.

We are going to contact them tomorrow as it seems that they have made a mistake. Has anyone heard of this happening before or know why this could have happened? My husband filled in the fee assessment accurately.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:42 pm

tuition fees will i pay the home or the overseas rate

Are you saying that you think he should be paying the overseas rate?

jlolololo
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jlolololo » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:46 pm

Yes, sorry that wasn't clear from my initial post.

We have budgeted for the overseas rate as that is what we believed he would be due to pay.

The letter he has received states he is being classified as an EU student, now we're confused - is this an error, or does he qualify as an EU student (he meets none of the criteria).

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:50 pm

What will you be doing in the UK? E.g. Working, studying etc? How long have you lived outside of the EU?

jlolololo
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jlolololo » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:11 pm

He'll be studying and working, I'll be taking care of our kids.

Been out of EU since November 2009.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:23 pm

jlolololo wrote:He'll be studying and working, I'll be taking care of our kids.

Been out of EU since November 2009.
Is he studying in England - I have assumed he will be?

They have *probably* assessed him as an EU student under category 3 of the link I have posted above, on the basis that he is the family member of an EU national who is in in the UK as a self-sufficient person (on the basis that he will be working and therefore supporting you). Although you were not resident in the EU since Nov 2009 they may have classed your absence as temporary and therefore that you meet the 'special provision' criteria as they consider thatt you were ordinarily resident in the EU for the 3 years prior to the course.

If you are unsure by all means ask them how they came to their assessment. If the assessment is correct your husband would be able to apply for a tuition fee loan to pay for his fees, although if you have the money you may just prefer to pay the fees without taking out the loan. I would be surprised if the difference we £9000 given that UK/EU students now pay a minimum of £7k a year at English universities.

jlolololo
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jlolololo » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:48 pm

Thank you Greenie, that is all very helpful. Yes, he will be studying in England.

The overseas fees for the course are 16,000, and for EU students the fees are 7000, so quite significant for us if he does indeed qualify as an EU student.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:54 pm

jlolololo wrote:Thank you Greenie, that is all very helpful. Yes, he will be studying in England.

The overseas fees for the course are 16,000, and for EU students the fees are 7000, so quite significant for us if he does indeed qualify as an EU student.
you are being honest (and sensible) by asking them to clarify -as if they make a mistake the could ask him to pay the higher amount, however I would imagine they have assessed him as falling under that category, but I could be wrong.

jlolololo
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jlolololo » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:18 am

Hi Greenie,

Thought I would let you know that the university wrongly classified him - they have changed his status to overseas now.

Thanks for your help!

rlow68

student fee

Post by rlow68 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:22 pm

jlolololo wrote:Hi Greenie,

Thought I would let you know that the university wrongly classified him - they have changed his status to overseas now.

Thanks for your help!
They were not wrong initially, he was charged the european/home rate because he married an european citizen, but since you asked them and they realised or by letting them know you already planned for international rate and you can afford to pay there is no need to extend the home rate as this can be extended to others who are in difficulty in respect of their fees.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: student fee

Post by Greenie » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:08 pm

rlow68 wrote:

Thanks for your help!
They were not wrong initially, he was charged the european/home rate because he married an european citizen, but since you asked them and they realised or by letting them know you already planned for international rate and you can afford to pay there is no need to extend the home rate as this can be extended to others who are in difficulty in respect of their fees.
The OP has not been living in the Eea in the three years prior to the course hence why the husband is arguably not eligible for EU fees.

rlow68

Re: student fee

Post by rlow68 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:43 pm

Greenie wrote:
rlow68 wrote:

Thanks for your help!
The OP has not been living in the Eea in the three years prior to the course hence why the husband is arguably not eligible for EU fees.
then that is the rule if it is in England but different in Scotland. Good luck to you and your partner

jlolololo
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jlolololo » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:26 pm

Hi rlow68,

The university corrected their classification before we had the chance to contact them. When we asked for clarification they sent evidence that they had already taken steps to rectify their error, and were apologetic.

Thanks!