ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IELTS score less than 5.5 for extension, possible routes?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rk_2011

IELTS score less than 5.5 for extension, possible routes?

Post by rk_2011 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:42 pm

On Tier-4 for last 2 years, and prior to this studying as a student. Just 8 more months left in the MBA course and still to write dissertation. Finished all exams. Requiring an extension in June, but just took IELTS and score is 5.0 with some sections at 4.5. Need advice please on the following:
1) What is the current processing time for Tier-4?
2) If I applied, despite the 100% chance of rejection due to low IELTS, could I use the processing time, to sit for a second IELTS, hoping that score is 5.5 and above on all bands, and then re-apply with new IELTS score (>5.5) after UKBA sends rejection?
3) Can an applicant reapply in-country right after rejection? If so, how long does s/he have before he has to leave the country or re-apply or appeal? I assume there will be no grounds for an appeal in my case with the 5.0 IELTS score.
4) Would you recommend this route, assuming point (2) above is true? Or would you recommend I leave the country, sit for IELTS overseas and re-apply for an out-of-country extension? i.e. getting a uk extension 'rejection' in my ukba record, is it worth it?
Finally, (though no on cares) it is really unfair asking in-country students to re-sit english language tests for their visa extensions.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:01 pm

Are you studying at a university or a private college?

rk_2011

Post by rk_2011 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:09 pm

Private college. Just figured that college wont issue CAS with low IELTS?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:32 am

Till about 2 weeks ago, you were seeking to extend your Tier 2 leave. Today you are seeking to extend Tier 4 leave!!
rk_2011 wrote:I will be seeking an extension on my Tier-2 work-permit employment sponsored in sept 2012.
Then about 10 days ago, you had valid leave until September 2014. Now you say that your leave is due to expire in June!!
rk_2011 wrote:My current leave expires 15 Sep 2014.
What's the story?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

rk_2011

Post by rk_2011 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:34 am

Yup this for my sis and that was for myself. Thought mentioning specifics would be unnecessary.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:27 am

A private college cannot issue a Cas for a degree level course without a SELT at b2 level. If she applies without a Cas the application is likely to be rejected as invalid so she won't get a right of appeal. Perhaps she needs to pay a private tutor to get her English language up to the required standard. I struggle to see how she is able to study for an Mba when her English is apparently at such a low level.

rk_2011

Post by rk_2011 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:48 pm

Thanks. The other option would be to sit for the Pearson's test of english (PTE), before current leave expires, as this is also now accepted by UKBA for SELT B2 from what I understand. The results are available in 5 working days, but they say results are only available online so not sure whether providing a printout to UKBA would be sufficient?

And secondly, if the extension is made out-of-country, beyond the date of expiry of current leave, would this be classified as an extension or a fresh application for Tier-4?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:30 pm

rk_2011 wrote:Thanks. The other option would be to sit for the Pearson's test of english (PTE), before current leave expires, as this is also now accepted by UKBA for SELT B2 from what I understand. The results are available in 5 working days, but they say results are only available online so not sure whether providing a printout to UKBA would be sufficient?

And secondly, if the extension is made out-of-country, beyond the date of expiry of current leave, would this be classified as an extension or a fresh application for Tier-4?
if it's on the list and the college is willing to issue a CAS using this test then it should be accepted however if she can't get B2 in IELTS how will she suddenly be able to get it in PTE?

Fresh application.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:02 pm

rk_2011 wrote:Yup this for my sis and that was for myself. Thought mentioning specifics would be unnecessary.
Please make sure that when you ask a query on behalf of someone, you state so clearly.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:12 pm

rk_2011 wrote:This is for my sister who is in Tier 4 requiring extension for her MBA course ending January 2013. Her visa expires end of June, 2012. New rules require students to re-satisfy English language requirement, for which her recent IELTS score is below 5.5.

We are in a dire situation now, as a) there is no time left to write a second test, and b) making an out-of-country application means a fresh application whereas an extension would have been more straightforward.

Someone suggested, to buy time, some colleges (if an earnest request was made), could issue a conditional letter saying that a CAS will be issued when the student satisfies B2 level, and an application to UKBA for extension can be made with this conditional letter. During this time, the student can sit for the tests, pass them, and then get the CAS to send to UKBA. Can someone confirm if this is possible? Otherwise, please suggest alternatives?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:17 pm

who is this someone? A tier 4 application made without a CAS will be treated as invalid as this is a mandatory section of the form.

rk_2011

Post by rk_2011 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:04 pm

Thanks for moving to this forum as I wasn't sure where to post. This someone is a staff at a student visa consultancy firm.

I think it is really unfair for my sister who is about to complete her degree (finished her exams and now just has to submit her dissertation) has to leave UK suddenly because she doesn't have the english tests for a visa extension?

She was admitted to the hospital for an illness for more than a month during her vacation period during Christmas time, which is why she is requiring an extension now to complete her degree. We have extensive letters from doctors, etc. Could we take that route and explain to UKBA to grant the extra time to complete the degree? But then what about CAS and english? Her's is a special case and this rigid system that's in place now, i.e. CAS + english makes me unsure how to go about with this. Perhaps the experts here can recommend something.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:24 pm

I appreciate why she is having to extend but a student who has almost completed an MBA should be able to score at least B2 in a SELT (indeed currently this is the minimum level expected before the student embarks on the course, most universities have far higher entry requirements).

I would suggest she seeks advice from an experienced immigration practitioner a 'student visa consultancy firm' sounds dodgy to me. Applying without a CAS can just result in the application being rejected as invalid.

I dont understand why she can't make an application from abroad? Also if she only has her dissertation to do, then she may be able to start this from abroad. Has she spoken to her college about her options?

rk_2011

Post by rk_2011 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:06 pm

thanks!

Abdulw87
Newly Registered

Post by Abdulw87 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:06 pm

i ahve not yet completed my undergraduate and i let the course in the middle and came back to my country now i requested my university to issue me CAS, i asked them about english language requirement and they said that i dont need one because their assessments prove that i dont need an english level test and my english language understanding is at or higher than B2.

If your sister is already doing her MSc i dont understand why she would require an IELTS test in the first place.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:12 pm

Abdulw87 wrote:i ahve not yet completed my undergraduate and i let the course in the middle and came back to my country now i requested my university to issue me CAS, i asked them about english language requirement and they said that i dont need one because their assessments prove that i dont need an english level test and my english language understanding is at or higher than B2.

If your sister is already doing her MSc i dont understand why she would require an IELTS test in the first place.
because the sister is studying at a private college, and not a university. Universties can make their own assessment of English language, private colleges can't.

PSW WORRIES

re

Post by PSW WORRIES » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:09 am

Hey Guys, lets make it easy on this guy!

The best option for your cousin to take the Pearson PTE and she also needs to prepare for it adequately.

Buy the book on amazon, spend a few hours on it, get your self a mic and test your self repeatedly.

Revise and revise.

Before now, i was in the same situation. I needed to get on a course to complete the final stages of my ACCA, after i finished my Msc programme, because my results were not out, the private college demanded a proof of english language competency, just 4 days to my visa expiry.

Luckily i was able to book a sitting 2 days to my visa expiry and i went online and purchased the pte prep kit for just 10 pounds.

I prepared and wrote the exam and by 6 am the next morning, results were out and i scored 85 out of 90. There is an option for you to send the results straight to the UKBA and you can print out a copy to be sent along with your application.

Dont worry mate, there is still hope for your cousin.