ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Queries about benefits / public funds

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

patman1

Queries about benefits / public funds

Post by patman1 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:54 pm

Hi
My partner has been granted a P.C.P Visa i am on income support and disability living allownace, housing/council tax benefit, when he arrives and i inform them of him coming how do i say to them he cannot claim any public funds without this damaging his chances of stopping on for F.L.R, im just not sure how i word it all can you please offer any advise as i wish to keep my claims if i can?
thank you

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:00 pm

All of this assumes you made the same declaration in order for the PCP visa to be granted? It will be pretty much the same assessment of your financial situation so whatever you did right last time (in what was a very difficult situation for a settlement application) you can do again.

patman1

Post by patman1 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:03 pm

HI
it was for Proposed civil partnership visa, i sent proof of everything on what i get in benefits my savings etc and partners savings, when his further leave to remain comes is that harder to get then? as he will be wanting this so he can find work thanks

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:06 pm

I am presuming he means how does he inform the benefits agency, not the ukba about his partner living with him?

I would suggest calling each relevant agency, i.e. Your local council for housing benefit and dwp for income support and dla and informing them about your change I
circumstances. You will need to say your partner has no recourse to public funds. They will ask about any income or savings he has. They may send you a form t
complete and ask you to send in evidence.

patman1

Post by patman1 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:07 pm

It was the wording on my benefit claim when i inform income support and housing benefit i need advice on, how do i word it that he lives with me but i dont wish for him to claim any extra benefit for him living with me thanks

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:08 pm

In being granted the visa, he has, effectively, been pre-screened and financially approved for settlement so unless something has changed about your circumstances there should not be any issues with the FLR(M) application. In general, the scrutiny for a settlement visa is more exacting than for a FLR(M) application. Obviously a different person will be viewing your means but if your circumstances were okay when you applied for the visa it should still be okay when you apply for FLR(M).
Last edited by Lucapooka on Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patman1

Post by patman1 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:09 pm

Thank you so much you have put me a ease, God bless you and this site.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:12 am

patman1 wrote:Hi
can you please advise if someone is applying for I.L.R and there partner is disabled and getting benefits due to there illness (income siupport and D.L.A)and they get enough to support them both and partners family send money each month around £120 pounds, and the partner is taking care of the other person as they have an illness and disabilitys, how will this be looked on when they apply for I.L.R, i mean they can show that after rent council tax and even food and bills are paid they still have over the £111.00 each week and that does not even include the money from family each month, i carnt see anything in the rules about having to work, i was told that they like you to work but again i cannot see this in the rules, but what about showing how you can support yourself etc?
any advice please
thanks
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:13 am

Be patient.
People will respond only if and when they wish to.

patman1

Post by patman1 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:52 pm

Hi
Sorry :cry: things make me panic when i dont get an answer
thanks again

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:58 pm

patman1 wrote:they can show that after rent council tax and even food and bills are paid they still have over the £111.00 each week and that does not even include the money from family each month
No problem then.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:00 pm

Having problems trying to claim housing and council tax benefit, i have explained that my partner is here for a marriage visa, now there saying the following

Housing benefit for couples where one has limited leave/Marriage visa.

A member of a couple who has limited leave (and so who would be ineligible for HB/CTB if they were single) but whose partner is eligible for HB/CTB (e.g. a British Citizen) can receive HB/CTB provided that their partner makes the claim. Partner here means a spouse/registered civil partner or a person who is living with them as if they are their spouse/civil partner.

For the claim to be valid both members must provide a national insurance number (or at least to have applied for one) As your partner has not supplied a national insuraance number i cannot grant your claim.

can anyone please give advise??, i have phoned them and said look you carnt work while on this type of visa and they said theses are the rules......
can you please offer any advise
thanks all

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:01 pm

What is your partner's nationality?

patman1

Post by patman1 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:07 pm

Hi
There from the U.S.A, american, its just i get full housing and council tax benefit right now and i wish to know where i stand when they arrive, i know i have to inform them the council but will i lose any benefit(s), i am really sick with worry here so much that today has been one of my lowest days, thinking if i have to pay full rent and council tax how will i be able to afford them to come here, i rent would be £74.00 a week and then the council tax, do you know if there on there visa to get married right now will i lose any housing and council tax benefit i get D.L.A higher rate care and mobility and Income support with the disability premiems etc and get £174 a week i'm sick with worry here, :( Thanks

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:09 pm

patman1 wrote:There from the U.S.A, american, its just i get full housing and council tax benefit right now and i wish to know where i stand when they arrive,
I am a bit lost here. Who all does "they" include?

You have mentioned one "proposed civil partner". So, who else have you sponsored?

patman1

Post by patman1 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:16 pm

So it's just one person i mean they as in one person, its just me not thinking how to type right as i'm in a bit of a mess right now with worry sorry, one person from the U.S.A, here on a marriage visa, and im just about to fill in housing council tax benefit forms telling them of my change and now at a worry that i will lose my housing an council tax benefit, sorry again for the confusion here, any advice pleaseeeeeeeeee :cry:

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:33 pm

As a British citizen, you may continue to claim the Housing Benefit and Council tax benefit that you are entitled to but you will not be entitled to an increase in these benefits because your partner will be staying with you. And, your partner cannot claim either of the two.

One cannot work when in UK as a proposed civil partner. Your partner may work when his FLR(M) application, subsequent to your civil partnership, is approved.

patman1

Post by patman1 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:41 pm

Hi
OMG :shock: , that's a big relief to me :wink: , you really have just taken about 20 years off me when you said i can still claim i thought i could not get anything at all, do you know how much i am likley to have to pay? for example like 25%? i just wonder if there is a rulling on the amount etc, once again let me say THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for telling me this i will be able to sleep a little better tonight now, and will this be like this until partner gets employment, in that i will have to pay something while they are here, i take it, it also applys to both rent and council tax? but if there is a % at least i will know what i have to find each week, my local council were rubbish all they said is well tell us of a change when and only when it happens then it will be looked at again they would not tell me anything else and i'm sure they must have know what is it, that i would have to pay etc, if you could advise me if you kinldey know of the amount etc, thanks again :wink:

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:57 pm

Sorry, can't help with the figures.
Have you contacted the Citizens Advice Bureau nearest to you for advice on the matter? If not, consider doing so.

patman1

Post by patman1 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:05 pm

Hi
Thank you, i will contact my local wefare rights for there advice, this last piece they said

Housing benefit for couples where one has limited leave/Marriage visa.

A member of a couple who has limited leave (and so who would be ineligible for HB/CTB if they were single) but whose partner is eligible for HB/CTB (e.g. a British Citizen) can receive HB/CTB provided that their partner makes the claim. Partner here means a spouse/registered civil partner or a person who is living with them as if they are their spouse/civil partner.

For the claim to be valid both members must provide a national insurance number (or at least to have applied for one)
DOES THIS MEAN I CARNT APPLY FOR BENEFIT UNTIL WE HAVE APPLIED FOR THE F.L.R AS THEY WONT ISSUE AN N.I.NO UNTIL F.L.R IS GRANTED OR CAN I STILL APPLY FOR BENEFITS FOR MYSELF NOW? we need to know because if we carnt we will have to apply for f.l.r straight away thanks

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:33 pm

The email seems to be in response to query on the lines of "can my partner who is under immigration control apply for HB / CTB" ... rather than to a query "Can a British citizen continue to claim HB/CTB that he is entitled to as an individual even when living with a partner in UK under immigration control"!

It is okay for you to claim any benefits that "you" as a British citizen are entitled to ... irrespective of whether you are living alone or with a partner who is under immigration control and irrespective of whether your partner is in the UK as a "proposed civil partner" or a "civil partner".

The one "benefit" that you are not be entitled to when you are living with your partner is the "single occupancy council tax discount" that one gets when living alone.

patman1

Post by patman1 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:04 pm

Thank you for taking the time to explain to me, you were of great help and have eased my mind a little
Thank you so much :)

patman1

Post by patman1 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:59 pm

The one "benefit" that you are not be entitled to when you are living with your partner is the "single occupancy council tax discount" that one gets when living alone
so how do i need to go about this please? do i still need to say i wish to claim as a couple then? if partner has no recourse to public funds
thanks

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:05 am

just wanted to ask if anyone knows, i get Income support for being disabled and paid with them are three disability premiums, i will lose one of them when partner comes to live with me, but i was told that even if i have a partner subject to immigration control i will have claim the couples premiums on my income support and my I.s will be paid as a single person? does anyone know anything about this at all? :shock:

heydo101
Newly Registered

Post by heydo101 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:12 pm

Bit late to the party here, but if this is any help, when your partner lives with you, you will lose ALL of your income support and disability top-up UNLESS you get non-income related ESA, which only lasts a year anyway.
So once you marry, they will have to support you. In the meantime, you should get all of your benefits until you live together. And if they have no work, you may still get all of your income support until they do work. You have to just apply and see what is decided, but they are getting very tight on that now.
As you get DLA, even when you've lost income support etc, you will get around £40 towards your share of the rent. You'll get this, regardless of whether you are entitled to any other housing benefit.
If you are physically disabled and have some adaptations to your property because of it, you will probably get your council tax paid for too.