ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

passport impounded

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:09 am

There is no suggestion by the op that they considered the cancelled passport to be fake on the grounds that it was cancelled. In fact she suggests that the Nigeria embassy in Greece issued fake passports.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:46 am

Neither the OP nor UKBA has said anything about who is the source of the fake. And it is unclear if UKBA is even right.
atike237 wrote:The refusal letter goes like this:
"in support of yr application you have provided a document wich u claim is yr previus passport. We have carried out officials checks and have received confirmation that this doc is not a genuine passport. A non genuine doc does not satisfactorily establish yr identity and nationality. I am not satisfied as to yr true identity. I am therefore not satisfied that u r related as claimed to the EEA principal. I therefore refuse yor EEA permit....."

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:45 am

But there is no reference to any suggestion that they think it is fake purely because it is marked as cancelled which is what the previous poster has presumed.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:02 am

I agree. Basically there was no decent description of why UKBA thought the passport was not valid.

atike237
Newly Registered

Post by atike237 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:09 am

presido007 you are right, my husbands pas was also "canceled without prejudice". At the time Nigerians who issued passports at the nigerian embassy in Rome never had any problem latter. But i know many people thad had problems bec of the passports issued by the embassy in Greece.
I am also confused it is not clear to me what "not genuine" means.
Thanks to all of you!
We will try to apply again now that greece is still within the euro zone.
Maybe after the elections next week i will be considered an illigal immigrant :wink:

presido007

Post by presido007 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:38 pm

Greenie wrote:But there is no reference to any suggestion that they think it is fake purely because it is marked as cancelled which is what the previous poster has presumed.
when something is not Genuine, what other word could you use for that thing if not FAKE.

I know what I wrote.

talking about Nigerian Embassy in Greece issuing fake passport, how did you know the information is true, it doesn't make sense that an embassy will issue fake passport, that is rediculous.
Last edited by presido007 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

presido007

Post by presido007 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:51 pm

atike237 wrote:presido007 you are right, my husbands pas was also "canceled without prejudice". At the time Nigerians who issued passports at the nigerian embassy in Rome never had any problem latter. But i know many people thad had problems bec of the passports issued by the embassy in Greece.
I am also confused it is not clear to me what "not genuine" means.
Thanks to all of you!
We will try to apply again now that greece is still within the euro zone.
Maybe after the elections next week i will be considered an illigal immigrant :wink:
atike237, believe me your spouse's old passport is geniune, the UKBA don't know what they are talking about. if you re-apply, please write a letter and let them know that the passport is geniune and how come the old passport was geniune when he had his Greek visa on the same passport and I believe he had some other visas on the same old passport and now somebody is telling you the passport is now fake. if it is fake, how did he apply for the e-pasport in Greece, because it is not possible to apply for a new passport abroad without presenting the old passport with a valid RC of that country on the old passport, I think, this guys at UKBA are messing around with your application. you need to write them a serious cover letter.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:25 pm

presido007 wrote:talking about Nigerian Embassy in Greece issuing fake passport, how did you know the information is true, it doesn't make sense that an embassy will issue fake passport, that is rediculous.
It is easy to imagine this. An individual or a group working at the embassy want to make some more money. They might do any of the following (and I am sure there are other possibilities if you are a creative bored rogue embassy employee):
- steal blank passports and then issue them (I have heard of this before)
- get fake blank passports, but put the details into the national passport database. They might be able to even print the personal details on the same kind of machine they use for normal passports

Since we do not know why UKBA claims the passport is not genuine, this is all speculation.

presido007

Post by presido007 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:18 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
presido007 wrote:talking about Nigerian Embassy in Greece issuing fake passport, how did you know the information is true, it doesn't make sense that an embassy will issue fake passport, that is rediculous.
It is easy to imagine this. An individual or a group working at the embassy want to make some more money. They might do any of the following (and I am sure there are other possibilities if you are a creative bored rogue embassy employee):
- steal blank passports and then issue them (I have heard of this before)
- get fake blank passports, but put the details into the national passport database. They might be able to even print the personal details on the same kind of machine they use for normal passports

Since we do not know why UKBA claims the passport is not genuine, this is all speculation.
we need to be careful when we post "I HEARD OR THEY SAID" without facts.
I still want to know why a nigerian citizen will not want to get a genuine national passport when they know they are entitled for one, except that person is not a Nigerian and wanted a nigerian passport.

And this idea that embassy employees steal blank passport and print somebody information to it is just not true, AGAIN WE NEED TO BECAREFUL WHEN WE SPECULATE THINGS THAT ARE NOT TRUE ON THIS FORUM. I dont know which country you are from but I know, NO embassy of any country have a machine that prints blank passports in their offices, because your finger prints and digital photograph and other information are taken and the embassy sends these data back to its home country, where it will then be verified before your passport is printed and sent back to whichever embassy that made the request. so the there is no embassy in the world that print or have blank passports in their offices.

I rest my case.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:52 am

presido007 wrote:NO embassy of any country have a machine that prints blank passports in their offices
As you said, you need to be careful in what you state.

This might be true today as e-passport are complex to issue and require special machines for that. But 5-10 years ago, embassies did have blank passports (I know this as a fact for at least a few countries including EU ones). I once got a full passport issued for my son in 20 minutes.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:55 am

presido007 wrote:I still want to know why a nigerian citizen will not want to get a genuine national passport when they know they are entitled for one, except that person is not a Nigerian and wanted a nigerian passport.
Nobody has suggested that the OP does not want a genuine Nigerian passport. In fact it is clear from the description that they already have one, and it has been returned to them by the embassy.
presido007 wrote:And this idea that embassy employees steal blank passport and print somebody information to it is just not true, AGAIN WE NEED TO BECAREFUL WHEN WE SPECULATE THINGS THAT ARE NOT TRUE ON THIS FORUM.
Sorry you are wrong. See http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... le1138809/ and http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2 ... _brit.html are but two examples easily found by google.
presido007 wrote:I dont know which country you are from but I know, NO embassy of any country have a machine that prints blank passports in their offices, because your finger prints and digital photograph and other information are taken and the embassy sends these data back to its home country, where it will then be verified before your passport is printed and sent back to whichever embassy that made the request. so the there is no embassy in the world that print or have blank passports in their offices.
It is only very recently that passport printing has been centralized in a number of western countries. USA, Canada and UK come to mind. I know at least one country that completes passports in the embassy from the applicants details. Note that blank passports are always produced in the home country, but they have been and often still are printed with the name and birthdates and other information in the embassy.
presido007 wrote:I rest my case.
OK, thank you! But not really.

atike237
Newly Registered

Post by atike237 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:04 pm

1. 10 years ago there was no machine printing passports in the embassy of nigeria in greece. I am pretty sure they still dont have one. My husband traveled back home to issue his new e-passport. The old one was issued by the embassy in athens.
2. In 2010 a group of nigerians came in Thessaloniki and invite the nigerian community to a meeting. They introduce themselves as staff of the nigerian ministry. For 3 days more than 100 happy people filled applications and payed money in order to start the procedure for an e-passport. once the "staff" left our city nobody saw them again and nobody got his passport done bec of them!
Presido007 take a look at that: http://www.emsgr.org/apps/blog/show/184 ... ho-are-we-

Peace

presido007

Post by presido007 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:37 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC and atike237, dont get me wrong, I am not saying there are no fake passports or fraudulent people who will pretend to be who they are not just to collect money from people in false pretence, my point is

1. why will a citizen of a country not apply for a geniune passport of his or her country at the right place (embassies or immigration office as the case may be) since he/she is entitled for one?

2. I disagree that an employee of an embassy will issue a fake passport to a citizen of that country, when the citizen can easily apply question 1, except the applicant is not geniune or acting out of ignorant.

Now, I rest my case (finaly this time) LOL :)

Jambo, I was talking about e-passport on my post, just to clerify what I wrote.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:16 pm

presido007 wrote:I am not saying there are no fake passports or fraudulent people who will pretend to be who they are not just to collect money from people in false pretence, my point is

1. why will a citizen of a country not apply for a geniune passport of his or her country at the right place (embassies or immigration office as the case may be) since he/she is entitled for one?

2. I disagree that an employee of an embassy will issue a fake passport to a citizen of that country, when the citizen can easily apply question 1, except the applicant is not geniune or acting out of ignorant.
I agree with (1). Unfortunately there are bad apples that work at embassies also, so (2) and the part marked in bold can happen. Most people working at embassies are good people, but not 100%

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:50 pm

atike237,

Have you reapplied? How did it go?

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:54 pm

atike237, did you get the visa?