ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of status; HSMP to Student

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Mrs Khan

Change of status; HSMP to Student

Post by Mrs Khan » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:34 pm

Is it possible to change a status from HSMP to student. Mean a hsmp visa holder; if accepted in College/ university can change status?

lanr3e

Post by lanr3e » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:36 am

There's nothing in the immigration rules that suggests that you can't and there's nothing in the rules that suggests that you can either. I think it's going to be considered outside the rules at the discretion of the case worker. You will have to pay international fees and prove that you will be able to sustain yourself without recourse to public funds and you will not be allowed to work more than 20hrs a week.

Think properly before you apply.

yodiyokun
Member of Standing

Post by yodiyokun » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:03 am

Finally, the big question is that.....
According to the immigration rules... you must show intent to return to your homecountry.

You cannot satisfy that requirement simply because you came in on a route that leads to settlement. How do you convince the HO that you no longer want to make UK your permanent place of residence?
My bow has been renewed

Ang
Newly Registered

hsmp to student

Post by Ang » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:32 am

Did you come into the UK on a students visa and then switched into hsmp?
If so have you ever travelled outside the UK on ur hsmp visa?

According to a paragraph from an immigration article: (My lawyer did not even know this :)

If you plan to do another course after you change category eg into SEGS, HSMP etc (excluding visitors visa)
you can only switch back to student status
inside the UK if you have not travelled
outside the UK during your visa. If
you do travel in and out of the UK, you will
have to return home to apply to return to the
UK as a student.

I can also testify that this is the case from experience as at August this year unless the rules have now changed.

If yur last entry into the UK was on a students visa then, it shdnt be a problem switching back to students again!

You can always call the home office to confirm this.

Hope it helps

Mrs Khan

Post by Mrs Khan » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:04 pm

I came under HSMP scheme and after trying for 6 months didnt get a job so got admission in a hope to UK education which will help me to get a job.
My query is can i swicth from HSMP to student while i am in UK or do i need to go back to my home country to apply for a student visa.

webhunter
Member of Standing

Post by webhunter » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:32 pm

I think this is really a strange case and most people thoughts out here might be pure speculation. The best bet would be to write your query to HomeOffice. Usually they reply with the accurate information based on the rules they have.

My wild guess is, you might be given a student visa only if you meet all the requirements of a person who will be applying for a student visa (ignore that you ever had a hsmp). And the second thing you may want to verify is, whether an in-country switch from HSMP to Student visa is possible? There might be a possibility that you may to return to your home-country and get entry-clearance.

So there you go, too many questions than answers. Try emailing to HomeOffice and please let others know of your findings.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:45 pm

It is defenitely worth to try in case you have no other Option.

I also see the very valid point from Yodiyokun

"you must show intent to return to your homecountry" So prepare an aceptable reason for this.

Pantaiema

yodiyokun wrote:Finally, the big question is that.....
According to the immigration rules... you must show intent to return to your homecountry.

You cannot satisfy that requirement simply because you came in on a route that leads to settlement. How do you convince the HO that you no longer want to make UK your permanent place of residence?

Mrs Khan

Post by Mrs Khan » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:57 pm

The most convincing reason i can or i would give is that Inconsistant immigration policies for Immigrants in UK. Under new rules i don't feel confident that I can get a settlement in UK therefore will get a UK qualification and go back to my country where job prospects will be good if i am holding a foreign Degree.

webhunter
Member of Standing

Post by webhunter » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:42 pm

Mrs khan,

Though the idea is good, you may want to be extremely careful, as to how you phrase that in your application. Because you dont want to blaming them while hoping to get an approval from them ( though in a different category).