ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa for elderly parents - Implication of new rule. Help

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Praveena1
Newly Registered

Visa for elderly parents - Implication of new rule. Help

Post by Praveena1 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:36 am

Hi,

I was planning to apply for dependent visa for my elderly parents, under the "Adult dependent relatives" route, once I get the ILR in August.

The new rules state that: "Non-EEA adult dependent relatives must, as a result of age, illness or disability, require long-term personal care: that is help performing everyday tasks, e.g. washing, dressing and cooking;" (Refer Page 28 of FM:SOI)

1. My parents are elderly and I do provide them financial assistance, and me and my brother are based here in UK. According to this new rule, it is not possible to bring them over. Is that so?

2. Also, the SOI does not clearly state the start date of implementation of these rules, i.e. do these come in force on 9 July 2012 or in 2013?

If this is the case, the only hope is applying through the family visit route?

Please advice.

Many thanks
P

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:43 am

1. Financial support alone is not enough under the new rules.
2. The soi clearly states the new rules will apply from 9 June.

The family visit route only allows them to visit, not to live or settle here.

Praveena1
Newly Registered

Post by Praveena1 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:22 am

Greenie wrote:1. Financial support alone is not enough under the new rules.
2. The soi clearly states the new rules will apply from 9 June.

The family visit route only allows them to visit, not to live or settle here.
Hi Greenie,

1. I do understand that financial support alone is not enough under the new rules. That is the reason, I did put up the whole question.
2. I suppose you are talking about 9th July not 9th June, but even 9th July is not mentioned anywhere regarding implementation of this particular rule. Could you please tell me where exactly it is said?

Yes, I do understand that "family visit" allows only visit (as the name suggests). I can understand that you are trying to help, but please don't misunderstand that users posting queries here are stupid enough to not differentiate between visit visa vs settlement visas.

My query was that since this appears to be a closed route, is family visit visa the only option of inviting my parents to stay with us for a little while every year?

Thanks

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:37 am

Sometimes it is not possible for someone responding to a query to determine the level of ignorance (or as you term it, stupidity) of a person posting a query.
A simple statement of fact shouldn't be misconstrued as a taunt or insult or a misunderstanding.
Praveena1 wrote:Could you please tell me where exactly it is said?
Appendix E.
Should I judge your level of ignorance because you missed noting a fact despite having read the document and respond in the manner that you have? Won't be appropriate, right?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:45 am

Yes I mean 9 July. Throughout the document there are references to the changes taking place from 9 July, with the exception of the changes to the language requirements for settlement which will apply from October 2013. Page 69 confirms that the changes to the adult dependent relatives rule apply from 9 July.

I do not assume that members are 'stupid' however your question regarding family visit visas being the only hope was not clear and given that you had missed the clear references to when these rules change, I thought it best to clarify.