ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

changes?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

stefancamargo

changes?

Post by stefancamargo » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:36 pm

Today (13 June 2012) rules have been laid in Parliament which will bring these changes into effect, along with an impact assessment, a policy equality statement and a statement on the compatibility of the rules with Article 8.

Most of these changes will apply to new applicants from 9 July 2012.

The changes are part of the Government's programme of reform of the immigration routes and follow wide consultation and expert advice from the Migration Advisory Committee. The changes include:

introducing a new minimum income threshold of £18,600 for sponsoring the settlement in the UK of a spouse or partner, or fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner of non-European Economic Area (EEA) nationality, with a higher threshold for any children also sponsored; £22,400 for one child and an additional £2,400 for each further child;
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... -migration

Well, this is one change, and the one thats scares me the most. My wife is going to apply for a visa in August (I´m italian). I´m afraid not to meet the target of 18600 annual and I ask the details for you guys. This amount is for only one person ou for both of us, I mean, my income plus hers have to be more than 18600? cause she will be working too.
If the target is only for me, so I´ll have to work more than 65 hours per week if I earn the mininum 6 pounds per hour!!
So, can anybody explain this rule more precisely please??

Thanks in advance
Stefan

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:59 pm

If you are Italian (and not British) this change is not relevant. It only applies to British citizens.

stefancamargo

Post by stefancamargo » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:42 am

Thanks! but this is quite strange... why would a spouse of a british person have stricter rules than a spouse os an italian?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:14 am

Because in the UK, the UK government can apply domestic rules to their citizens. They can't do that to EEA nationals which are under the EU directives. It would be similar for Italians in Italy, French in France etc.

stefancamargo

Post by stefancamargo » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:39 am

I understand now. Thanks!

theuniverse

Post by theuniverse » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:35 pm

looks like it's better to be a national from another EU country