ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Health cover for elderly mother

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sarwat
Newly Registered

Health cover for elderly mother

Post by sarwat » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:06 pm

Hi,
My mother is coming for 6 mths and I am confused which Medical insurance I should take for her? Also I am told that she needs to register with a private GP as well. Any guidance please.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:09 pm

She needs cover for anything that is deemed not to an accident or emergency in an ER. If she has pre-existing conditions that need treatment in the UK, she will need to make sure she is covered for those. Most, if not all, insurance will not cover pre-existing conditions. You may have to pay out of your own pocket.

Visitors are not allowed to enter or stay in the United Kingdom to receive free medical treatment from the NHS. Except for treatment given in a hospital's accident and emergency department, you will be charged for any treatment you receive. You should ensure that you have enough medical insurance to cover your stay

sarwat
Newly Registered

Post by sarwat » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:14 pm

Many thanks for such a prompt reply. I am a doctor myself so I know she is not eligible. Problem is that I dont know which insurance company to go with and which Private Gp to choose. Can any one who has had a similar situation share their experience please so to guide me how to book one. Thanx

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:27 pm

You don't need to register with a private GP unless you really want to. Is she actually undergoing any treatments now or are you just trying to cover her in the event of something (as yet unforeseen) happening while she is in the UK? The latter falls under the category of emergency, which is not a problem.

sarwat
Newly Registered

Post by sarwat » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:32 pm

Thanks for reply.
She is healthy but she is 71 so I am worried. I phoned a medical insurance complany and they said Registration with a private gp is must before medical insurance.
I am only worried about her age and tthen she will be here for 6 mths and the fact that being a doctor I cant provide health care to my own mother is very frustrating.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:35 pm

Okay, if the insurance co. need it you should do it, but the UKBA don't require her to do this. However, I think they may be referring to having an exam before they issue cover (I could be wrong).

sarwat
Newly Registered

Post by sarwat » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:38 pm

Yes Insurance company has asked me to get registration with GP.
I am just looking if someone has had a similar experience, can they plz share it.
Thanx