ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dependant Visa Maintenance funds

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

santoshmuppidi
Newly Registered

Dependant Visa Maintenance funds

Post by santoshmuppidi » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:54 pm

My wife will be applying for Dependant visa application from outside UK (main migrant has been in the UK for >12 months on Tier1 general visa).

I am maintaining £800 pounds in my account since last week.

Is the amount in my account enough for my wife to apply after 3 months? As I had gone through the policy guidance and it sates £533 for each dependant if (main migrant has been in the UK for >12 months on Tier1 general visa).

Also my visa is due for extension in March 2013 and when my wife would apply for dependant visa - main applicants visa will be < 6months...will this be any problem? I had not witnessed throughout the policy guidance that a tier1 migrant should posses a visa > 6 months for his dependant to apply

Please help me with information

silent_warrior
Member of Standing

Post by silent_warrior » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:48 pm

A maintenance amount of £800 should suffice for what you need to show for the 3 months period and you would not have a problem if your visa is less than 6 month validity.
Last edited by silent_warrior on Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:04 pm

Since June 14 (i.e. - for any application made on or after 14-June):

the 800 has changed to 900, and
533 has changed to 600, and
1600 has changed to 1800.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

santoshmuppidi
Newly Registered

Post by santoshmuppidi » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:31 pm

"sushdmehta"]Since June 14 (i.e. - for any application made on or after 14-June):

the 800 has changed to 900, and
533 has changed to 600, and
1600 has changed to 1800.

Thanks sushdmehta,

To confirm once again. It is only my wife who is applying for the dependant visa from India. I will be in the UK when she applies for the same

In this case maintaining £ 600 for 3 months should be alright isn't it?

Thank you in advance

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:15 pm

santoshmuppidi
Newly Registered

Post by santoshmuppidi » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:05 am

Bank account for maintenance funds
One may open or maintain bank account(s) in any regulated bank anywhere in the world in any of the following combinations:

Adult dependent = Sole account in own name or sole account in main applicant's name or joint account.
Child dependent = Sole account in own name or sole account in main migrant's name or joint account with main migrant or joint account of parents.

One may use a single bank account or use multiple bank accounts (in multiple countries) to satisfy the maintenance funds requirement.

Term deposits
Whether term deposits or similar instruments are accepted as evidence of maintenance funds must be checked with local visa application centre / British High Commission. For queries on this issue (term deposits (FDs) and similar), please post in this topic.

How much to show?
Joint application (migrant + dependant) from within UK when main migrant has been in the UK for >12 months) = 900 for self + 600 for each dependant.
Joint application (migrant + dependant) from within UK when main migrant has been in the UK for <12 months) = 900 for self + 1800 for each dependant.
Dependant application from outside UK (main migrant yet to arrive in UK or has been in the UK for <12 months) = 1800 for each dependent.
Dependant application from inside UK (main migrant has been in the UK for >12 months) = 600 of each dependent.

Appendix E - Maintenance (funds) for the family of Relevant Points Based Systems Migrants wrote:
(e) Where the Relevant Points Based System Migrant is applying for entry clearance or leave to remain at the same time as the applicant, the amount of funds available to the applicant must be in addition to the level of funds required separately of the Relevant Points Based System Migrant.

which essentially means that, as per law, if the dependant is applying for leave to enter or remain separately then there is no need to show evidence of 800 pounds (for the main migrant) in addition to the 1600/533 pounds for each dependant.

What I understand from the above highlighted phrase is
If Dependant application is from outside UK (main migrant has been in the UK for more than 12 months)

Maintaining £600 for each dependent should be alright and the main migrant need not maintain £800 if he/she is in the UK while the dependant is applying from outside UK

Correct me if I am wrong?

Thank you

silent_warrior
Member of Standing

Post by silent_warrior » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:58 am

Hello 'santoshmuppidi', Apologies if my information provided was misleading. Please read the thread below and you will get the answer to your query.

In short £600 should suffice as maintenance funds
Last edited by silent_warrior on Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:11 pm

silent_warrior wrote:Hello 'santoshmuppidi', Apologies for the misleading information in my above post. The maintenance funds requirement is now changed and it requires you to show maintenance funds in addition to the funds required for the main applicant

So in your case it would be £900 (main applicant) + 600 (single dependent applicant).

Read the guidance notes for dependents appliying outside the UK. It is clearly mentioned in the section for Maintenance Funds
PBS Guidance Outside UK
The link you have provided is not "PBS guidance Outside UK" but a document titled "Guide to supporting documents", which is not the ideal document to read or understand or interpret the immigration rules or policy guidance. There is an element of ambiguity (still) in the policy guidance on the matter but the immigration rules make it clearer.
Last edited by geriatrix on Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:15 pm

santoshmuppidi wrote:What I understand from the above highlighted phrase is
If Dependant application is from outside UK (main migrant has been in the UK for more than 12 months)

Maintaining £600 for each dependent should be alright and the main migrant need not maintain £800 if he/she is in the UK while the dependant is applying from outside UK

Correct me if I am wrong?

Thank you
I do not like re-confirm something that I have taken pains to write about in detail but, given the inaccurate interpretation in the post above, I am compelled to.

Your understanding is correct. If you search the forum you'll find many posts confirming the same.

silent_warrior
Member of Standing

Post by silent_warrior » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:30 pm

sushdmehta wrote:There is an element of ambiguity (still) in the policy guidance on the matter but the immigration rules make it clearer.
Agreed! But I still have query and have been struggling to find it. Where exactly on Immigration Rules does it state the when dependent is applying separately the maintenance funds have to be in addition to the funds required by the main migrant. Though i know it makes a mention when dependent and main applicant apply together

That's why I based my comments on the guidance policy and It is mentioned more clearly in the Guidance notes.

More advise from you on this would be definitely helpful
Last edited by silent_warrior on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

village

Post by village » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:41 pm

pls read line 45..... it clearlysay if main applicant is in uk for more than 12 months there isno need for main application to show 900...just dependant 600 is enough

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... olicy1.pdf

silent_warrior
Member of Standing

Post by silent_warrior » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:01 pm

village wrote:pls read line 45..... it clearlysay if main applicant is in uk for more than 12 months there isno need for main application to show 900...just dependant 600 is enough

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... olicy1.pdf
Comments deleted as query has been resolved below
Last edited by silent_warrior on Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:31 pm

silent_warrior
Member of Standing

Post by silent_warrior » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:53 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Example 1
Example 2
Thanks sushdmehta

So the applicant will only be required to show £600 right? Is that what you meant before in your earlier post. Because that's what I mentioned in my previous post and I thought you mentioned that it was 600+800 as the OP questioned you.
Because I always knew it was £600 if applying separately.
Not sure why the confusion arose. So I guess this was just a misunderstanding
Conclusion: Maintenance Funds for separate Tier 1 dependent application is £600

Also Thanks for editing the Guidance - Tier 1 (General) Dependent application This will help many (though an extra line below How much to show? stating Dependant application from outside UK main migrant has been in the UK for >12 months = £600 would simplify the post even more..of course this is only a suggestion and can be ignored. Thanks once again!)

layman

Post by layman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:14 pm

I do not agree, in spite of example 1.

Clause 45 of the guidance documnet says,

He/she must show that he/she has £1800 for his spouse and a further £1800 for each child, in addition to £900 required for his/her own support

This is straightforward since this is for dependant applications at the same time as main applicant

Clause 47 says

If a family member applies separately from the Tier 1 Migrant, there must still be enough funds
to support each member of the family
. Therefore in the example above, if the family has a third
child, the main applicant has been in the United Kingdom for two years and the family applies
for leave to remain for the third child separately, they must provide evidence that they have an
additional £600 in available funds.

To me, it suggests that maintenance needs to be shown for the entire family staying in the UK and not only for the number of applicant(s), especially when applying for dependants separately.

If not so, people could potentially send separate applications for dependants(on different days within a week) with bank statements from the same account(one original, one print out + stamp, one duplicate, etc) and show that they satisfy maintenance requirements with just £900 balance for 3 months.

When I applied for my extension(without dependants) as main applicant, I just stated the maintenance funds are more than £800 (since the dependants could be with me or back in their own country). But when I applied for my dependants two days later by post, I gave the same bank statements, but stated that the funds are sufficient for my dependants + main applicant(since I would normally have to stay in the UK with them)

Or am I missing something?

g_sharma
Newly Registered

Tier 1 Dependent - Maintenance Fund

Post by g_sharma » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:32 pm

Hey Layman,

Logically you are right........ I think you have aplied via PEO then you applied via post for your dependent..........

I'm planning to apply Visa for my new Born by next month. Do I need to maintain the MF only for son or for the total family because as per the new policy guidance

Policy guidance on dependants of PBS migrants - Pbsdepedantspolicy1.pdf - Last Updated: 01 August 2012
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... dependants

47. If a family member applies separately from the Tier 1 Migrant, there must still be enough funds
to support each member of the family
. Therefore in the example above, if the family has a third
child, the main applicant has been in the United Kingdom for two years and the family applies
for leave to remain for the third child separately, they must provide evidence that they have an
additional £600 in available funds

Maintenance Requirement - I have been staying more than 2 years so

Myself : 900
Wife and Kid : 1,200 (600 X 2)
Total : 2,100

Is the above correct? or Do I need to maintain only £600 for my son? Please advise.

when i applied for my wife at first time from India i have shown M.F only for my wife (Indian bank account). but when i read the policy documents i m bit confused. Can any one help?

Is anyone recently applied for dependents?