ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice needed

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

amk_05
Newly Registered

Advice needed

Post by amk_05 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:08 pm

I am currently on PSW visa which is due to expire on Sep 2013, I got admission in a Masters programme which is due to start in Sep 2012. So my question is should I switch to Tier 4 before starting my course or can I start my course on PSW and switch it later?

Thanks in advance!

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:14 pm

what course did you do to get PSW?

amk_05
Newly Registered

Post by amk_05 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:24 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply. I graduated with BA Hons degree in July 2011.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:27 pm

there is no restriction on PSW migrants studying, however some tier 4 sponsors are reluctant to enrol PSW migrants (or indeed migrants with other times of work visas), so you should ask them.

amk_05
Newly Registered

Post by amk_05 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:34 pm

I've asked the institution and they said that I can study on PSW if I want to, but it's better to switch because as PSW has been closed and they were not sure what future policies will be regarding this. Thanks again.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:43 pm

the closure of PSW will not have any effect on whether you can switch. how much time have you spent studying at degree level in the UK on tier 4 or pre-tier 4 student visas?

amk_05
Newly Registered

Post by amk_05 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:05 pm

3 years on pre tier 4 student visa.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:18 pm

I don't think they are likely to change the switching rules for PSW to tier 4 just because PSW has closed. It is probably to your advantage to remain on PSW if you can as this won't count towards your time studying at degree level in the UK on student visas. You also won't be restricted to only being able to work 20 hours a week during term time (although you might find it is hard to do this if you are studying a masters anyway). Also once you switch from PSW you obviously can't switch back and if for any reason the course doesn't work out for you then you'll be left on a tier 4 visa that could be curtailed.

amk_05
Newly Registered

Post by amk_05 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:53 pm

the cap was my main concern as well, because I want do a Ph.D. after my masters but I guess it will not matter as it's usually 3-4 years long and with my undergrad degree and masters I am only left with one or at the most two if I do my masters on PSW. Further more I was going through the Tier 4 application form and came across these questions:
D1.Did the student obtain entry clearance or a visa at the start of their current stay in the United Kingdom?

D2. Where did the student obtain entry clearance or a visa before travelling to the United Kingdom?

D3. Please enter the reference number on the entry clearance or visa which can be found in the student’s passport or travel document.

Now I got my PSW visa in UK and I am not sure how to answer these questions, if I were to apply. And also regarding D3 I only have BRP.

I really appreciate your replies. Thanks (Sorry for such a long post :( )

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:07 pm

The limit is different if you are studying a PhD (8 years) but if you can save some time by studying on PSW then you should.

regarding your questions on the tier 4 form

D1 - D3 I presume you got entry clearance for your orignal tier 4/student visa - so you would put these details

amk_05
Newly Registered

Post by amk_05 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:38 pm

Thanks for your reply. Regarding D1-D3, that's exactly what I thought but it says current stay that is what got me confused as my current stay is on PSW. :?

amk_05
Newly Registered

Post by amk_05 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:04 pm

I would again confirm this situation with the university. However if I am to switch to Tier 4, I have one more question(sorry for being so annoying) the thing is, currently I am working on part time basis so do I have to leave my job when making the application, or can I continue with my work as my application processes.

Thanks in advance!!

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:31 pm

amk_05 wrote:Thanks for your reply. Regarding D1-D3, that's exactly what I thought but it says current stay that is what got me confused as my current stay is on PSW. :?
yes it's not that well worded but that's what it means - you 'stay' started when you entered the country.

whilst you are waiting for a decision on your application you can continue to work according to the conditions of your PSW leave. I really don't know why you would switch though!

amk_05
Newly Registered

Post by amk_05 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:57 pm

Thanks for all the input I don't want to switch I just wanted to be sure of everything just in case, I'll just double check with the university again. Thanks again for your help I really appreciate it :)