ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

TWES QUERY - Please Reply-Urgent

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Lotus
Newly Registered

TWES QUERY - Please Reply-Urgent

Post by Lotus » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:01 pm

Dear all

Situation as follows:

TWES WP - 48 months nearing expiry!!

Question:

Due to the recent changes of 4 to 5 rule and the introduction of new 5 year TWES WP, is it not the moral obligation of the HO to grant an extra year for all the current 48 months WP holders? (if applied for an extension by the Employer for the existing TWES WP)?

Just asking,

Thanks alot

Lotus

Smit
Member of Standing

Post by Smit » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:57 pm

As far as I am aware, time spent under the TWES category does not count towards ILR. Sorry.

Lotus
Newly Registered

Post by Lotus » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:28 am

Thank You for your reply, Smit,

Well, I am just looking for an extra year inorder to complete my training. I have heard that the minimum period for training for the TWES according to its rule is 5 years. However at the end of the training, the Employee has to go back to his/her Country of Residence.

Therefore, looking at my case, having completed 4 years of my training, if my Employer wishes to employ me for an extra year inorder to complete the 5 years minimum training according to TWES rule, will
the HO allow this?

Thanks again for the reply. Any other expert reply will be much appreciated.

Regards

Lotus

Smit
Member of Standing

Post by Smit » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:05 pm

If you are required to be trained further so that you can gain a professional qualification, your employer may lodge an extension application for an additional year as the maximum time that may be given under TWES is 5 years.

The Home Office has discretion on whether or not to grant the extension for the additional year.

After that, you are required to leave the UK for at least 2 years before another work permit application can be made.

Lotus
Newly Registered

Post by Lotus » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:16 pm

Thats Correct Smit!!

That is what I have recommended to my Employer as the Employer still wants me to complete the training.

I hope the HO is not that fussy about this.

Thanks

Lotus

Mafia

Post by Mafia » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:02 pm

The guidance notes do state that the TWES permit is issued up to five years although it is possible to extend beyond the five year period subject to certain criteria.

Firstly, Work Permits (UK) would normally expect the permit holder to complete the training in the shortest possible time and secondly, individual concerned is normally allowed up to two attempts (or possible attempts) for each exam. I understand that Work Permits (UK) do occasionally extend TWES permit for the third attempt when the failure is marginal.

The TWES was/is a popular route for overseas students to train as accountants in the UK. Using this route as an illustration, if the candidate needs the extra “year” to resit his/her exams when a normal candidate would have completed the qualification by now then Work Permits (UK) is likely to reject the application for extension. On the contrary, if the additional time is required to gain post qualification (i.e. all exams have been completed) experience with the view of obtaining a practising certificate, then the application is likely to be considered more favourably.

Good luck.

The Mafia … :twisted:
Providing alternative opinions ... for better decisions.