ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

DVLA Provisional licence

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

john1000yahoo
Newly Registered

DVLA Provisional licence

Post by john1000yahoo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:59 pm

I'm in Tier 2 Work Permit. If I need to apply provisional licence, do I need to send my (Indian)passport and biometric card as well by post to DVLA?

Alternatively, is there a way to apply at a local DVLA office, without sending the passport?

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:37 pm

Yes the post office offer a service where they will check your documents and certify them to be true and send copies of these docs off instead or originals :wink:

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/counter-ser ... ng-service

john1000yahoo
Newly Registered

Post by john1000yahoo » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:45 am

Customers are advised to ensure that this service will be acceptable to the intended recipient
DVLA, will they accept it?
Also, I guess this document checking is only for the British Citizens and not for the foreign passport holders.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:39 am

john1000yahoo wrote:
Customers are advised to ensure that this service will be acceptable to the intended recipient
Also, I guess this document checking is only for the British Citizens and not for the foreign passport holders.[/quote
you guess wrong. They are not verifying the authenticity of the documents just confirming the copies are true copies of the originals.

Sahib

Post by Sahib » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:12 pm

When i applied for provisional 3 years ago at DVLA local office, they asked me to give them original passport which they then sent to Swansea office. I also handed them next day special delivery envelope with my application.

My understanding is, document checking at local office is only for British Citizens but i would advise you to personally visit local office and ask them.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:26 am

Anyone can have document checking done, provided you pay the fee and it's available at the DVLA office where you apply. It's not exclusive to British citizens. I had it done at DVLA in Wimbledon.

skano
Newly Registered

identity check copies for dvla

Post by skano » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:30 pm

Hi mulderpf, did you send you ID checked copies to DVLA?

I called them and they said they don't accept it !

skano
Newly Registered

only valid visa

Post by skano » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:21 pm

DVLA is saying they can't even accept passport if the valid visa is in BRP, so sending BRP is the only option

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:28 pm

Greenie wrote:
john1000yahoo wrote:
Also, I guess this document checking is only for the British Citizens and not for the foreign passport holders.[/quote
you guess wrong. They are not verifying the authenticity of the documents just confirming the copies are true copies of the originals.
Greenie are you sure this is correct for a Licence application the website clearly says this:
DVLA also accepts the following documents as confirmation of your identity. Unlike the digital passport though, you'll need to send your identity document with your application:
full valid current passport
biometric residence permit (formerly known as the identity card for foreign nationals)
UK certificate of naturalisation
Do not send in your passport if you need it within the next month. If this is the case you should consider delaying your licence application until you can send it with your passport to DVLA.

Post Office® branches
You can apply for your licence at a Post Office® with your application, identification, photograph and any required fee. A clerk will check your application to be sure that all sections have been filled in correctly and send it to DVLA. They may also need to send your identification depending on what you use with your application

It appears that the original passport of a Non UK passport holder does need to be sent. Has anyone done it without sending their passport?
pennyless

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:19 pm

pennylessinindia wrote:Greenie are you sure this is correct for a Licence application the website clearly says this:
DVLA also accepts the following documents as confirmation of your identity. Unlike the digital passport though, you'll need to send your identity document with your application:
  • full valid current passport
    biometric residence permit (formerly known as the identity card for foreign nationals)
    UK certificate of naturalisation
Do not send in your passport if you need it within the next month. If this is the case you should consider delaying your licence application until you can send it with your passport to DVLA.
Post Office® branches
You can apply for your licence at a Post Office® with your application, identification, photograph and any required fee. A clerk will check your application to be sure that all sections have been filled in correctly and send it to DVLA. They may also need to send your identification depending on what you use with your application

It appears that the original passport of a Non UK passport holder does need to be sent. Has anyone done it without sending their passport?
I got my provisional licence around 3 years ago, & recall reading the same guidance you mention above at the time on the directgov website. My interpretation of the above at the time was that foreign passport holders had to send one of the above documents. As the only one out of the list I had at the time was my passport, I had to send that. Note that I did get my passport back within 2 weeks via Special Delivery as I enclosed a return envelope.