ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Does new rules apply to me?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

humzah123

Does new rules apply to me?

Post by humzah123 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:14 pm

Hi

I am currently on PBS dependent visa (since April 2011) and my husband has ILR (granted Jan 2012). We did not know that I need to switch to FLR(M) so I remained on PBS dependent. My visa is valid till Feb 2013.

I need to travel to my home country due to family emergency so I understand that I will need to apply for spouse visa from there.

I now need to know that will new rules apply to me when I get spouse visa from my country (will apply after 9 July) OR as I became dependent before rule changes so old rules will continue to apply in my case?

Thanks

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:26 pm

Yes, the new rules affect you insofar that the new rules now permit you to apply for ILR (when you complete 2 years ) without first going through FLR(M). Others please feel free to jump in and correct me if I have interpreted the changes incorrectly.

However, there is unresolved debate as to whether this new concession can be used in situations where the PBS migrant gets ILR through long residence rather than the PBS.

humzah123

Post by humzah123 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:41 pm

Apologies I did not understand the answer correctly. Just to confirm I will have to wait 5 years before I could apply for ILR?

If that is the case then the period I have stayed on PBS dependent then will that be counted towards probationary period?

We have been married for over 5 years if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:46 pm

humzah123 wrote:Apologies I did not understand the answer correctly. Just to confirm I will have to wait 5 years before I could apply for ILR?
How do you deduce this from what I said? It's like something from a completely different topic!

The new rules are not only about increasing the residence periods for new applicants; there are also new (more generous) concessions for existing PBS dependants. It was the latter that I was referring to.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:49 pm

The question here, that I don't think anyone has a definite answer of as yet, is whether or not an existing PBS dependant making a new EC application as spouse of settled person / British citizen will be subject to the new rules.

IMHO, new rules will apply.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:54 pm

Whether the new rules apply to an EC application is not the only question here (but I think it will). The question I am raising here is whether she needs to make an EC application at all, rather than return on her existing PBS dependant leave and then applying for ILR after on completion of her two years residence. The new rules now permit PBS dependants to remain as PBS dependants and gong straight to ILR, rather than obliging them to apply for FLR(M). If they don't need to apply for FLR(M) and can stick with PBS (Dep), then why should they need to apply for EC, rather than sticking with PBS (Dep)?

5. For PBS dependents who do not qualify for ILR at the same time as the main PBS migrant because you haven't completed your two year probationary period:

- If you will complete your two years within the validity of your PBS dependent leave, you no longer need to apply for FLR(M), instead you will be able to apply directly for ILR on form SET(O) once you have completed your two years
- If your leave will expire before you complete your two years, you will need to apply for further leave on form FLR(M) and then for ILR on form SET(M) once you complete your two years. You will not be subject to the new minimum income thresholds but will be subject to the current 'adequate accomodation and maintenance' requirements.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:06 pm

Only those who complete their probationary period within the span of their PBS dependant leave will be exempt from switching to FLR(M), not every PBS dependant.

If PBS dependants travelling outside UK when the PBS migrant has been granted settlement / BC will not be subject to 321A(1) or any other such immigration rules, then OP may travel and return on her current (PBS dependant) leave.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:08 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Only those who complete their probationary period within the span of their PBS dependant leave will be exempt from switching to FLR(M), not every PBS dependant.
I know, I'm only commenting on the OP's situation.

humzah123

Post by humzah123 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:19 pm

Thanks for clarifying.

My PBS dependent visa will run out 2 months before completing the 2 years period.

I believe I will have to wait for new law to come in to force and then seek clarification on this?

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:21 pm

Well, that's a problem. However, the application outside the UK is much more onerous that the one inside the UK. If re-entry as a PBS migrant is permitted I would suggest take that one.