ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

visas for family with newborn baby abroad

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

frustratedbrit

visas for family with newborn baby abroad

Post by frustratedbrit » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:52 pm

I am a UK national currently living in the UK, with a temporary, well-paid contract job. I have a Vietnamese wife (married 15 months ago). She has a son from a previous marriage, and is currently pregnant with our child. She was previously living in the UK under a 6-month visitor visa, and returned to Vietnam when it expired (whilst pregnant), but was unfortunately not awarded another visitor visa, and so is currently in Vietnam, due to give birth soon. It looks like my temporary job may get extended for many months, and as I don't want to give this up, we're looking to get visas to bring my family over to the UK.

Can anyone advise what the best route for us to follow is? I understand my baby will have an automatic right to be British (am I correct?), but how long does this process take? Should we be applying for visas now, or wait until the baby is born? What visas should we apply for? How long can we expect to wait before being allowed to live together?

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:00 pm

Your child will be British and will not need a visa if you apply for a British passport. You can't do this without a birth cert. and information from you per the application requirements. The UK in Thailand website will have relevant information about this. Expect a couple of months.

Your wife and her pre-existing child will require settlement visas. Expect up to three months.

frustratedbrit

Post by frustratedbrit » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:43 pm

Can we start applying for settlement visas now, or do we have to wait until after the baby is born?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:52 pm

Yes, you can.

The child when born will be British, so he doesn't need a visa. Your partner and the elder child are the ones who need the visa.

And if possible, apply before 09-Jul-12.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:09 pm

In countries where the laws relating to family may be considered vague you need to make sure you meet the standards laid down by the UK. In the case of a child that is your partner's but not yours, you would do well to examine the sole responsibility requirements and make sure you prepare the child's application accordingly.

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/policy ... 7/#header8