ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier-1 general applicant can eligible to do full time PhD

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

UK_1927
Newly Registered

Tier-1 general applicant can eligible to do full time PhD

Post by UK_1927 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:22 pm

Hi Seniors,

My husband is currently on tier-1 general which he got in September09. he has completed his Msc in Cancer Pharmacology in 2008 & now he has been offered PhD in cancer with stipend (non taxable) from Liverpool University.

Tier-1 general applicant can eligible to do full time PhD? Can he use his stipend (non taxable) income to get earning point while he extends his further stay on tier-1 general visa?

Your help is highly appreciated!!!!!!

Thanks in advance

pkumar
Member of Standing

Re: Tier-1 general applicant can eligible to do full time Ph

Post by pkumar » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:51 pm

Please check as i have read that you are not allowed to STUDY on tier 1. you have to convert to student visa.
Remember Tier 1 is not PR. So i would play it safe and make sure with seniors and other forums

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:04 pm

pkumar wrote:Please check as i have read that you are not allowed to STUDY on tier 1. you have to convert to student visa.
Remember Tier 1 is not PR. So i would play it safe and make sure with seniors and other forums
I am a 100% positive that dependants of tier 1 holders can study (not sure about tier 1 holders themselves). Just in case, you may want to contact HO by email (better to have written communication).

gordon

Post by gordon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:43 pm

No, one can't use the stipend to claim earnings points, as stipends are 'unearned sources of income'; see Appendix A, item (i).
16. Earnings do not include unearned sources of income, such as:
(a) allowances (such as accommodation, schooling or car allowances) which are paid as reimbursement for monies the applicant has previously paid,
(b) dividends from investments, unless it is a company in which the applicant is active in the day-to-day management, or unless the applicant receives the dividend as part of their remuneration package,
(c) property rental income, unless this constitutes part of the applicant's business,
(d) interest on savings,
(e) funds received through inheritance,
(f) monies paid to the applicant as a pension,
(g) expenses where the payment constitutes a reimbursement for monies the applicant has previously outlaid,
(h) redundancy payment,
(i) sponsorship for periods of study,
(j) state benefits, or
(k) prize money or competition winnings, other then where they are directly related to the applicant's main profession or occupation.
UK_1927 wrote:Hi Seniors,

My husband is currently on tier-1 general which he got in September09. he has completed his Msc in Cancer Pharmacology in 2008 & now he has been offered PhD in cancer with stipend (non taxable) from Liverpool University.

Tier-1 general applicant can eligible to do full time PhD? Can he use his stipend (non taxable) income to get earning point while he extends his further stay on tier-1 general visa?

Your help is highly appreciated!!!!!!

Thanks in advance

luisfigong
Newly Registered

Post by luisfigong » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:14 pm

I'm not sure that is completely right. The PhD stipend is an earning and not a reimbursement, so I think one can use that to claim points for earning. Compare points 13 and 16 of the Appendix A. Stipend can be defined as a student salary. I think sponsorship for studies, while you are infact an employee is not a guaranteed part of the total remuneration package, hence can be considered unearned (subsistence). Any other insights?

risingsun
Newly Registered

Post by risingsun » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:50 pm

UK_1927 wrote:Hi Seniors,

I am not very sure, but as far as I have read, the purpose of Tier 1 is for attracting highly skilled ppl to work in UK, but not for study. And for any full time study, a students visa would be necessary.

Hence for my opinion, he may not be allowed to do a PhD on Tier 1.

But would request seniors to answer this question more firmly.

Also, would suggest to browse UKBA site for concrete information.

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:40 pm

Study can be done on Tier-1 as long as person is able to maintain himself in the UK and also meet all requirements at the time of extension.

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:55 pm

chetanojha wrote:Study can be done on Tier-1 as long as person is able to maintain himself in the UK and also meet all requirements at the time of extension.
Correct

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:36 pm

That is right, if he can earn enough points at the time of extension, it is fine. But if not, then it would be trouble and switching to a student visa at that time might be an option. I think no problem in continuing study with Tier 1.
chetanojha wrote:Study can be done on Tier-1 as long as person is able to maintain himself in the UK and also meet all requirements at the time of extension.

UK_1927
Newly Registered

Post by UK_1927 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:38 pm

I still need to know that Can he use his stipend £14000 (non taxable) income to get earning point while he extends his further stay on tier-1 general visa?

Thanks for all your help

manojk005

Post by manojk005 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:43 pm

UK_1927 wrote:

I still need to know that Can he use his stipend £14000 (non taxable) income to get earning point while he extends his further stay on tier-1 general visa?

Thanks for all your help
Information from UKBA website are as follow,

Unearned sources of income that we will not consider as previous earnings include:

expenses (such as accommodation, schooling or car allowances) that reimburse you for money you have previously spent;

dividends from investments, unless it is a company in which you are active in the day-to-day management, or unless you receive the dividend as part or all of your remuneration package;

income from property rental, unless this forms part of your business;

interest on savings; funds that were inherited;

money paid to you as a pension;

expenses where the payment reimburses you for money you have previously spent;

statutory redundancy payment;

sponsorship for periods of study;

or state benefits.

For details you can look into their website at

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... /earnings/

I suspect that you can not show stipend as salary. Also, there will be two proofs you have to show.

If your husband is employed as Research associate/assistant and regulary get salary slips showing Tax and NI payment then you can include them.

To my knowledge, university pays this as stipend to reduce their tax liability as they do not have to pay anything extra to government like employer NI.

manojk005

Post by manojk005 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:44 pm

UK_1927 wrote:

Thanks for all your help
Information from UKBA website are as follow,

Unearned sources of income that we will not consider as previous earnings include:

expenses (such as accommodation, schooling or car allowances) that reimburse you for money you have previously spent;

dividends from investments, unless it is a company in which you are active in the day-to-day management, or unless you receive the dividend as part or all of your remuneration package;

income from property rental, unless this forms part of your business;

interest on savings; funds that were inherited;

money paid to you as a pension;

expenses where the payment reimburses you for money you have previously spent;

statutory redundancy payment;

sponsorship for periods of study;

or state benefits.

For details you can look into their website at

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... /earnings/

I suspect that you can not show stipend as salary. Also, there will be two proofs you have to show.

If your husband is employed as Research associate/assistant and regulary get salary slips showing Tax and NI payment then you can include them.

To my knowledge, university pays this as stipend to reduce their tax liability as they do not have to pay anything extra to government like employer NI.