ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

5-8yr time limit, some confusions, can someone help plz?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mh409
Newly Registered

5-8yr time limit, some confusions, can someone help plz?

Post by mh409 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:15 pm

Hello People,

I have been following many of the threads here for many of my doubts over last years.

Now, after this recent changes of involving 5 years and 8 years limits, i am getting confused about my next application.

Here is my scenario:

I spent 5 years and 8 months on Student Visa (Pre-Tier4 rule and Tier4 rule)
Then currently I am on PSW , due to end in Nov 2012.

I am planning to commence PhD from September 2012. Usually, PhD research is planned for 3 years in uk. Now, how that matters for my visa application?

8yr minus 5yr 8 months would mean I will be eligible for further 2 yr 4 months of study. Does that mean I am not eligible for student visa application?

Can someone please advise me?

Getting tensed now.

-mh409

pokhreligautam

Re: 5-8yr time limit, some confusions, can someone help plz?

Post by pokhreligautam » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:49 pm

mh409 wrote:Hello People,

I have been following many of the threads here for many of my doubts over last years.

Now, after this recent changes of involving 5 years and 8 years limits, i am getting confused about my next application.

Here is my scenario:

I am planning to commence PhD from September 2012. Usually, PhD research is planned for 3 years in uk. Now, how that matters for my visa application?

8yr minus 5yr 8 months would mean I will be eligible for further 2 yr 4 months of study. Does that mean I am not eligible for student visa application?

Getting tensed now.

-mh409
Hi Mh409,
Actually you have to complete your PHD within within 8 years being on TIer 4 student visa but the information on UKBA is rather vague that it does not specify whether the time limit includes the pre-tier 4 student Visa or not. you should seek a professional opinion from the senior members on this forum or immigration advisor.
Good luck
krishna
Krishna

quantum1
Member of Standing

Post by quantum1 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:44 pm

Here is my scenario:

Getting tensed now.

-mh409
There is no time limit on studying for a PhD, so you are safe. The rules are clear and time spent on pre-Tier 4 student visa is included in calculating the cap.

quantum1
Member of Standing

Post by quantum1 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:57 am

quantum1 wrote:

Here is my scenario:

Getting tensed now.

-mh409
There is no time limit on studying for a PhD, so you are safe. The rules are clear and time spent on pre-Tier 4 student visa is included in calculating the cap.
Sorry, I was wrong. You are right, If you complete your PhD after 8 yrs, they will refuse a visa.
Those Tier 4 (General) students studying for a PhD at a Recognised Body or at an HEI
providing that on completion of the PhD, the time spent in Tier 4 (General) student category
will not exceed 8 years. If, as a result of the application for an extension of leave, the time
spent in the category would exceed 8 years, the extension application will be refused.

Deviser

Post by Deviser » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:25 pm

mh409 wrote:8yr minus 5yr 8 months would mean I will be eligible for further 2 yr 4 months of study. Does that mean I am not eligible for student visa application?-mh409
Rules are clear. If you wont gonna complete your PhD within 8 years limit, you LTR application will be refused.