ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Does the 3 yr legal residency period have to be continuous?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

unfair

Does the 3 yr legal residency period have to be continuous?

Post by unfair » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:42 am

I am married to a BC. We got married in April 2009. I have lived in the UK for 6.5 years all of which was legal. I got my ILR in February 2012. There was a period in 2009 when I would say I was technically illegal as I had exhausted my appeal process regarding post study work visa. My spouse visa application was with the HO while my appeal was in process. This application was submitted outside the rules. HO rejected my spouse visa the first time and by then I'd also exhausted my appeal for the post study work. Spouse visa was issued not long after.
I want to apply for naturalisation now but unsure of where I stand regarding satisfying the legal residency requirement. Shall I just wait till December when the 3 years since I was issued the spouse visa is up or can I apply now?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Does the 3 yr legal residency period have to be continuo

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:53 am

unfair wrote:Shall I just wait till December when the 3 years since I was issued the spouse visa is up or can I apply now?
Given the information, wait.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!