ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Family Migration: New rules to be introduced from 09-Jul-12

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:05 pm

As long as you possess a certificate that recognises your marriage / civil partnership under the law(s) of the country where the marriage / civil partnership was solemnised, you are fine. That certificate is good enough under UK law too.

For any further specific queries regarding your application, please continue in your existing topic.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

KD1

Post by KD1 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:08 pm

I think I've understood the posts on this thread correctly but to be absolutely sure - there is a statement in the table on page 69 of the Statement of Intent document that says:

Scenario
Before 9 July 2012 you were granted entry clearance, leave to enter or leave to remain as the partner of a migrant under the Points Based System, or you have applied for this and are awaiting a decision.

Arrangements applicable
The immigration rules in force before 9 July 2012 will still apply you from 9 July 2012. From October 2013 you will need to pass the Life in the UK test and a B1 level English speaking and listening qualification to qualify for settlement.

As per this, for my wife (currently on a dependent Tier 1 visa since October 2009) the probationary period pplicable for her will still continue to be 2 years when we go for our PEO appointment on the 3rd of August and she only needs to show a Life in the UK test pass certificate.

That sound about right?

Regards

NMck

Re: New Rules

Post by NMck » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:46 am

Greenie wrote:
irshad01 wrote:In respect of these new rules if a couple have been married for 3 years and the spouse has not been able to apply due to the age restriction which has now been lifted. would they still be subjected to the new rules or would some form of discretion apply as they now have two children and also have met each other during the course of their relationshiop whilst waiting for the spouse to reach 21 years of age.
No there will not be any discretion and indeed the age restrictions changed some months ago. If you can't meet the financial requirements then i understand the application would be considered under the 10 year family route. If the children are British note they won't increase the income threshold.
Can someone clarify something for me?

What is the "10 year family route"?

Many thanks.

beatboy

Post by beatboy » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:18 pm

The rule changes are not as bad as they could have been (particularly the salary threshold and still allowing third party accommodation support). I like to think this that the letters we wrote to our MPs and the fuss we made has helped, so well done to everyone who got involved!

One thing that is still not too clear to me is the sponsoring (or not) of any dependent children. I am a British citizen (born in the UK) and if I have children outside of the UK, are they entitled automatically to a British passport in that country of birth and thus don't have to be sponsored nor be part of the extra income requirement?

BobbyUKENG

Re: Lawful long residence changes

Post by BobbyUKENG » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:44 pm

Sameer - please let me know the status on ten years ILR? Is it changing to 15 years?

I'm confused, please let me know so that I get updated with the new rules and also can you please post the link which points to the 10 years rule.
Thanks in advance

BobbyUKENG

Re: Lawful long residence changes

Post by BobbyUKENG » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:46 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
sameer2012 wrote:According to new rules effecting from 09 July 2012 lawful residence also changes from 10 to 15 years.
According to the policy on page 5 paragraph 2/3.
Is it true.
No, the paragraphs you refer to relate to deportation.
Sushdmehta,

Many users are saying that ten years ILR is been changed to 14 years, Is it true?

Please confirm and can you please post the link so that I can update myself.
Thanks in advance

sog2k7
Newly Registered

Post by sog2k7 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:45 am

Sorry if my question has already been answered - I couldn't find this information anywhere.

Do the new rules (9/July/2012) affect spouses of EEA citizens who wish to apply for a Residence Card? For example, a south american wife of an Italian citizen who would like to apply for a Residence Card after 9/July/2012?
Last edited by sog2k7 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:55 pm

No

sog2k7
Newly Registered

Post by sog2k7 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:57 pm

Casa, thank you.

Is there any official communication about this matter (EEA's and the new rules)? The documents that I read weren't very clear about it.

arsenalsri

Post by arsenalsri » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:01 pm

I'm on Tier1 General and due for my ILR in June 2013. My current leave expires in Feb2013, so I will be going for an extension later this year. My question is as I'll be applying for an extension after July 9, will the new rule for dependent apply? I've been in the UK since Jun 2008 and my wife joined me in Nov 2008. As we will be applying for an extension after July 9 will she be eligible for ILR in June 13 along with me or will we have to wait till Nov 13.

Thanks for your help.

arsenalsri

Post by arsenalsri » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:20 pm

A quick search on the forum after my earlier post and I think I found the answer to my question. Paragraph 96 in this document I believe is relevant to me. I would be great full though if anybody can confirm that to me.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:03 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

sam2106

Post by sam2106 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:07 am

lol, a must read!
vinny wrote:The New Rules.

accablues
United Kingdom

so what will to couples living outside uk!!

Post by accablues » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:42 am

hi all, not sure where to get info from .. but what will happen to couples living outside uk??

does that mean the husband or the wife have to first move back to UK alone, start earning and only then apply for spouse visa ??

plz can somone shed some light on this

thanks

pothuri.naveen
Newly Registered

Post by pothuri.naveen » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:29 pm

NPKILRApp
Newly Registered

Post by NPKILRApp » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:47 pm

wormintrude wrote:Thanks. Taking a look at it now!
I'm in UK from last 5 years and palanning to apply for ILR in August for my self and my dependends.

My spouse came 6 months latet after I came. She stayed in UK for 4.5years . We got married 6 year beofre back in India.

Could you please guide me if I can apply ILR to both of us at time or do I have to wait to finish my wife - 5 stay in UK...?

harv
United Kingdom

Post by harv » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:08 pm

NPKILRApp wrote:
I'm in UK from last 5 years and palanning to apply for ILR in August for my self and my dependends.

My spouse came 6 months latet after I came. She stayed in UK for 4.5years . We got married 6 year beofre back in India.

Could you please guide me if I can apply ILR to both of us at time or do I have to wait to finish my wife - 5 stay in UK...?
My understanding would be:

- You apply for your ILR and at the same time get an FLR for your wife
- Once your wife got an FLR you can apply for her ILR straight away subject to the English language criteria

Experienced forum members should be able to give you the 'correct' advice, as I am not the most experienced in this area.
Feb 2012 - Spouse Visa - New Delhi
Mar 2012 - Documents collected - VISA Granted
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Apr 2015 - Applied for Naturalisation
Nov 2015 - Naturalised

transpondia-2011

Post by transpondia-2011 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:47 pm

harv wrote:
NPKILRApp wrote:
- Once your wife got an FLR you can apply for her ILR straight away subject to the English language criteria
Question. On which basis would the wife qualify for ILR straight-away?

harv
United Kingdom

Post by harv » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:20 pm

transpondia-2011 wrote:
harv wrote:
NPKILRApp wrote:
Question. On which basis would the wife qualify for ILR straight-away?
Since the wife came on a dependent VISA in the UK and already lived over 2 years. Once given on FLR, she automatically meets the minimum 2 years criteria. If the two years criteria is not met she also meets the NEW 5 years criteria.
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Nov 2015 - Naturalised

transpondia-2011

Post by transpondia-2011 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:27 pm

harv wrote:Since the wife came on a dependent VISA in the UK and already lived over 2 years. Once given on FLR, she automatically meets the minimum 2 years criteria. If the two years criteria is not met she also meets the NEW 5 years criteria.
Thanks, I understood the wife can settle under Paragraph 319E, but do not get why the spouse needs another FLR if they already have leave to remain as a PBS dependent?

NPKILRApp
Newly Registered

Post by NPKILRApp » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:21 am

transpondia-2011 wrote:
harv wrote:Since the wife came on a dependent VISA in the UK and already lived over 2 years. Once given on FLR, she automatically meets the minimum 2 years criteria. If the two years criteria is not met she also meets the NEW 5 years criteria.
Thanks, I understood the wife can settle under Paragraph 319E, but do not get why the spouse needs another FLR if they already have leave to remain as a PBS dependent?

Thank you very much for your support and comments, as per old rules My wife was entitled to apply ILR along with me.

New rules are not clear about minimum requirements to apply ILR for my wife.

She lives with me in UK from last 4.5 years and we got married 7 years ago.

My question is , does my wife required to live minimum 5 years in UK... to apply ILR ....?

Or 2 years stay enough to apply ILR.....?

Could you please add your comments for this...

sam2106

Post by sam2106 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:51 am

If she is the married dependant or the unmarried dependant of someone on PBS, and has accumulated 2 years minimum on this visa, she can convert to FLR(M) and then straightaway after getting the 2 years FLR(M) apply for ILR...but the rules has just changed...i don't know if she will be classed under the old rule ( if there is some exemption for her in the new rule) or when applying for FLR(M) she will have to meet the new rule and will be given 2.5 years leave first instance followed by 2nd instance of 2.5 years leave. If this is the case, then i presume, she will have to be on the PBS dependant visa and spouse visa for a combination of 5 years duration before she can apply for ILR , e.g however number of years she has been your PBS dependant + whatever more years she will need on FLR(M) to make it a total of 5 years.

Has she been your PBS dependant throughout last 4.5 years she has been in the UK?

Sam

NPKILRApp wrote:
transpondia-2011 wrote:

Thank you very much for your support and comments, as per old rules My wife was entitled to apply ILR along with me.

My question is , does my wife required to live minimum 5 years in UK... to apply ILR ....?

NPKILRApp
Newly Registered

Post by NPKILRApp » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:28 pm

sam2106 wrote:If she is the married dependant or the unmarried dependant of someone on PBS, and has accumulated 2 years minimum on this visa, she can convert to FLR(M) and then straightaway after getting the 2 years FLR(M) apply for ILR...but the rules has just changed...i don't know if she will be classed under the old rule ( if there is some exemption for her in the new rule) or when applying for FLR(M) she will have to meet the new rule and will be given 2.5 years leave first instance followed by 2nd instance of 2.5 years leave. If this is the case, then i presume, she will have to be on the PBS dependant visa and spouse visa for a combination of 5 years duration before she can apply for ILR , e.g however number of years she has been your PBS dependant + whatever more years she will need on FLR(M) to make it a total of 5 years.

Has she been your PBS dependant throughout last 4.5 years she has been in the UK?

Sam

NPKILRApp wrote:
transpondia-2011 wrote:

Thanks Sam ...

Yes, She lives with me in UK for last 4.5 years on PBS dependent...

harv
United Kingdom

Post by harv » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:51 pm

sam2106 wrote:If she is the married dependant or the unmarried dependant of someone on PBS, and has accumulated 2 years minimum on this visa, she can convert to FLR(M) and then straightaway after getting the 2 years FLR(M) apply for ILR...but the rules has just changed...i don't know if she will be classed under the old rule ( if there is some exemption for her in the new rule) or when applying for FLR(M) she will have to meet the new rule and will be given 2.5 years leave first instance followed by 2nd instance of 2.5 years leave. If this is the case, then i presume, she will have to be on the PBS dependant visa and spouse visa for a combination of 5 years duration before she can apply for ILR , e.g however number of years she has been your PBS dependant + whatever more years she will need on FLR(M) to make it a total of 5 years.

Sam

This is a kind of grey area due to the changes now. I remember reading that these changes will not effect existing VISA holders that come under this particular VISA scheme. However it seems like your wife may come under the 5 year scheme instead of the 2 years.

Looking at the detail posted I think 'NPKILRApp' is in a good situation. You can apply for her VISA once the full five years complete (just a matter of 6 months or so) to be on the safe side.
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Nov 2015 - Naturalised

Sal5UK

Post by Sal5UK » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:19 pm

Hi people,

Whats the amount of savings required in personal bank account to meet the new rules?

Thanks in advance..