ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 visa longer than work contract?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

barbie1

Tier 2 visa longer than work contract?

Post by barbie1 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:25 pm

I applied for Tier 2 employer sponsored last year when I still had a couple of months left on my post study work permit, therefore they issued me with a visa 3 months longer than my current work contract. The job will renew the contract for 3 more months (coincidence) so can I stay on the current visa to work for them or do I need to apply again (I'd rather not) since in the letter of sponsorship the end date would be 3 months before visa expiry?

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:57 pm

In this situation the advice UKBA give is that you can continue working while you have valid leave, and beyond the work end date stated in the CoS, provided it is the same job for which the CoS was issued in the first place.

barbie1

Post by barbie1 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:12 pm

manci wrote:In this situation the advice UKBA give is that you can continue working while you have valid leave, and beyond the work end date stated in the CoS, provided it is the same job for which the CoS was issued in the first place.
Thanks very much for the reassurance :)

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:16 pm

If your employer is also concerned about the situation ask them to phone the UKBA Employer Helpline (0300 123 4699) to confirm what I said in my post.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:07 pm

barbie1 wrote:Hi,

I have been working in the same position initially using a post study work permit for a year and the next year by gaining a Tier 2. After 2 years, they renewed my contract for a further 5 years. Could you let me know if the new CoS application will cover an unbroken 5 year period? What is the maximum duration a CoS can be issued for?

Thanks!
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:07 pm

Even if the CoS specifies a period of engagement as 5 years, the leave will be granted in line with the immigration rules.

245HE. Period and conditions of grant

barbie1

Post by barbie1 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:11 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Even if the CoS specifies a period of engagement as 5 years, the leave will be granted in line with the immigration rules.

245HE. Period and conditions of grant
That wasn't quite my question...My work contract is 5 years, will the CoS be the same please? Or can it only be 3 years at a time?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:32 pm

That is entirely up to the sponsor .. what they want to specify as the period of engagement / sponsorship when requesting the CoS.

There is no requirement (legal or otherwise), that I know of, for the sponsor to issue a CoS that mirrors the period of contract. And also, whether a CoS is issued with a period of sponsorship / engagement that mirrors the contract period or less or more is irrelevant as you will need a new CoS to apply for extension irrespective of the "duration of a previous CoS".

barbie1

Post by barbie1 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:08 pm

sushdmehta wrote:That is entirely up to the sponsor .. what they want to specify as the period of engagement / sponsorship when requesting the CoS.

There is no requirement (legal or otherwise), that I know of, for the sponsor to issue a CoS that mirrors the period of contract. And also, whether a CoS is issued with a period of sponsorship / engagement that mirrors the contract period or less or more is irrelevant as you will need a new CoS to apply for extension irrespective of the "duration of a previous CoS".
Right so there is a big confusion at work about this and I just wanted to clear my head.

The team that deal with preparing the CoS paperwork at my work place replied to me that there is a 3 year UKBA rule as the maximum period allowed to apply for a CoS. As you can imagine I'd have liked them to issue a 5 year one as it is always a hassle to apply again (although not the end of the world) but wanted to double check with you the above...

barbie1

Post by barbie1 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:52 pm

If you are already in the UK under Tier 2 (General), you can apply to extend your permission to stay in this category. If we approve your application, we will extend your permission to stay by another 2 years, or the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus 14 days, whichever is shorter.

Does the above mean that regardless of the CoS covering 3 or 5 years, my Tier 2 visa will be for only an extra 2 years anyway? If that is the case would I be allowed to extend my Tier 2 a third time having a valid work contract and by making a fresh CoS application in 2 years time?

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:03 am

Your work contract is an arrangement between the contracting parties, you and the company. The Immigration Rules are the law of the land. Because of this it would be unwise for the company not to make the work contract subject to your immigration status.
Does the above mean that regardless of the CoS covering 3 or 5 years, my Tier 2 visa will be for only an extra 2 years anyway? If that is the case would I be allowed to extend my Tier 2 a third time having a valid work contract and by making a fresh CoS application in 2 years time?
How long the period of grant will be when you apply for an extension is set out in Immigration Rule 245HE and, in a more digestable format, in the Tier 2 Policy Guidance, paragraph 182:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... idance.pdf

barbie1

Post by barbie1 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:05 pm

meh