ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU national Maternity Allowance and become Homeless

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

chippy
Newly Registered

EU national Maternity Allowance and become Homeless

Post by chippy » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:09 am

Hi there my wife is a Czech national and Im a South African national. My wife came to the UK in May 2011. She started working self employed as a nanny and also for an employer. She became pregnant and gave the correct notice to her employer to go on maternity pay and is currently getting maternity allowance.

The property that we live in is build without planing permission and Ealing council want us to move out. We went to see a homeless prevention advisor and he told us that we are not eligible for any Homeless help from the council.

The reason is that my wife is not currently working but on Maternity Allowance. She is 9 months pregnant and is due on the 22 July. Is it correct that a EU national don't retain their rights as a worker when they are off work because of pregnancy and getting Maternity Allowance?

Thank You

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:13 pm

I think it is because she has not been employed for 2 years. As far as I am aware, an EU citizen has to be working for 2 years prior to receiving assistance or housing from the local authority.

Can you rent privately with the help of housing benefit?