ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Housing and council tax rules

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

john1974
Newly Registered

Housing and council tax rules

Post by john1974 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:17 pm

Hi :D
I am new here trying to read the threads, to find my problem but carnt see a real answer so hope someone can help :?:
When partner moves in and i a british person go to the Housing and council tax to try and get the discount carrying on as i claim benefits E.S.A i was on income support, when i tell the council i have partner with no recourse to public funds, do you carry on getting HB/CTB, i see you say they need to look again and your claim and not claim for partner but they say to me they claim is in my name and they have to add partner onto to my claim, does this mean they are treating us a couple hence how can they just give benefit to one person if there is two of you?
can someone please try to explain this as i dont understand it, I get benefits in my name only for the E.S.A no problem its the HB/CTB when they say they have to add partner and dont understand that i am asking for a single rate when i have a partner
any advice please thanks

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:13 pm

As I understand it, the claim needs to be made by just you, but the income for both of you needs to be disclosed, and the amount of the benefit needs to be based on the family, not counting your spouse.

Any children in your household?
John

john1974
Newly Registered

Post by john1974 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:31 am

No childern just partner, but the council say they have to add partner by law to my claim as there living there, and when i said i only wish to claim the sinlge person rate, they said single, when you are a couple, they dont seem to understand this, they say if your a couple or if anyone comes to live with you they are added to your claim and its worked out either as a partner or a non dependent, how do i explain this to them as partner has no National insurance number either? thanks

john1974
Newly Registered

Post by john1974 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:35 am

John,my partner has made the claim in her name only, as she was getting it before i moved in, its just how they work it out, they dont seem to be able to say wether she is getting any extra benefit for me being there, they say well she was getting the full rate before as she ill on E.S.A so dont worry, then they say but we have to inform you this could have an effect on any further immigration status you go for at another date, this is why we keep asking them, they say dont worry it'd your wife to be who is the named person and we keep saying but we dont want to take any extra for me being there..... oh it goes round and round, any advice john thanks