ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

after getting citizenship one must live in Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

knapps
Member of Standing

after getting citizenship one must live in Ireland

Post by knapps » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:26 pm

Just a query. Suppose, you get Citizenship of Ireland and then passport. Is there a requirement to live in Ireland for few years or you can live in any other EU country?

IRISH PHAROE
Member of Standing

Post by IRISH PHAROE » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:22 am

yes you are required to live in Ireland for the rest of your life otherwise the minister has the right to revoke your Irish citizenship if you live away of Ireland for more than 7 years.
to overcome this problem you have to go to the Irish embassy where you are living to sign a yearly declaration asking the minister to keep your Irish citizenship and give reasons for being away of Ireland.
peace on you

ardee

Post by ardee » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:45 am

IRISH PHAROE wrote:yes you are required to live in Ireland for the rest of your life otherwise the minister has the right to revoke your Irish citizenship if you live away of Ireland for more than 7 years.
to overcome this problem you have to go to the Irish embassy where you are living to sign a yearly declaration asking the minister to keep your Irish citizenship and give reasons for being away of Ireland.
There is no such law that you must live in Ireland in perpetuity. However , yearly registration is a new development by INIS which sounds reasonable anyway to keep track of those who have been granted citizenship.I have not heard of any one citizenship being revoked on the basis that he no longer lives in Ireland. As long as you have reasonable justification for living outside Ireland such as work there is no reason to entertain any fear.

IRISH PHAROE
Member of Standing

Post by IRISH PHAROE » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:33 am

ardee wrote:
IRISH PHAROE wrote:yes you are required to live in Ireland for the rest of your life otherwise the minister has the right to revoke your Irish citizenship if you live away of Ireland for more than 7 years.
There is no such law that you must live in Ireland in perpetuity. However , yearly registration is a new development by INIS which sounds reasonable anyway to keep track of those who have been granted citizenship.I have not heard of any one citizenship being revoked on the basis that he no longer lives in Ireland. As long as you have reasonable justification for living outside Ireland such as work there is no reason to entertain any fear.
Please note that you have been asked a question when you filled your naturalization application "if you will intend to live the rest of your life in Ireland or not"

also please check for form 5 of citizenship and read it carefully, you will find what I mentioned earlier is right

this is the link to download it
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Ci ... on%20Forms

[/img]
peace on you

knapps
Member of Standing

Post by knapps » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:01 pm

Yes, You always intend to live . Sometimes, circumstances changes What if someone in your family is sick and you have to stay with the person. Anyway, it is just a query not a real time situation

ardee

Post by ardee » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:33 pm

IRISH PHAROE wrote:
ardee wrote:

Please note that you have been asked a question when you filled your naturalization application "if you will intend to live the rest of your life in Ireland or not"

also please check for form 5 of citizenship and read it carefully, you will find what I mentioned earlier is right

this is the link to download it
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Ci ... on%20Forms

[/img]
Even though you filled Yes that you intend to live in Ireland after Naturalisation does not mean that you have signed to live in IRELAND for THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. Circumstances do change which is quite understandable by governmenment like you secure another job in a new country. It will be foolish for any one to expect that you will lose your citizenship just becos you relocated to a new country becos of work demand. When you have not been involved in any criminal matter. If you read the intent of the form you listed. If within 7year after Naturalisation you have not registered in any consular abroad to show your intention to keepm your citizenship then it could be revoked. Why would you not do that anyway. However, there is no law that you must live the rest of your life in Ireland.

IRISH PHAROE
Member of Standing

Post by IRISH PHAROE » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:01 am

What I'm saying is you are required to fill form 5 that's all
And working abroad is a very good reason for being away of Ireland to not be burden on the state in the current economic circumstances
Currently I'm in this situation
peace on you

IQU
Diamond Member

Post by IQU » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:02 am

yes you can live anywhere in the world.but you have to register with irish embassy.

jhbmike

Post by jhbmike » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:30 am

I currently live outside Ireland. I recieved my naturalization based on Irish associations. Would I need to register. I have registered once before at the consulate here but tbh, it is such a pain going down to do it.

On the form 5 it states the following
THIS FORM IS ONLY FOR NATURALISED IRISH CITIZENS RESIDING ABROAD, WHO WERE NOT GRANTED
A CERTIFICATE OF NATURALISATION AS A PERSON OF IRISH DESCENT OR ASSOCIATIONS.

does this mean I am excluded from having to complete this