ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language Requirement

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ecker
Newly Registered

English Language Requirement

Post by ecker » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:21 pm

OK, so i'm from New Zealand, i have a 4 year bachelors degree from Otago University, my family heritage is originally from Scotland and here i am trying to prove to the British i can speak english. Fip! what next, shall i give blood to prove my decent...

SO i have a letter from my University proving i have completed my degree however since it doesn't say 'which was taught in english' it is not any use to me.... I mean, what on earth does Home Office do with our 315quid on each application. You think it would cover the cost of a 5-10minute phone call to New Zealand to clarify the degree was taught in English. I mean bloody heck, what degree isn't taught in English in New Zealand.....
You would think they would have built up a good base knowledge of degrees around the world by now so that they knew which ones where taught in what language. Maybe add a clause that certain countrys where exempt from proving english language requirements and i know back home all Degrees from my university are taught in English.
anyway,
I understand why these rules are in place but it would seem there is no common sense involved. It wouldn't surprise if they refused an application because the letter from the university didn't state it was taught in english even tho the degree was from New Zealand. I mean, come on, think about it

This rule in my case means re-asking for another letter just so my University can reword the same thing. It seems absolutely silly in my opinion.

argghh, you can't beat the system..... i'm not even gonna try! I been trying to get the proof for this HSMP for ages now. Everytime i think i have it something else pops up and everytime they are always nigly annoying issues.....

Poms! :?

paramjit2k

Re: English Language Requirement

Post by paramjit2k » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:39 am

What is the query man!
ecker wrote:OK, so i'm from New Zealand, i have a 4 year bachelors degree from Otago University, my family heritage is originally from Scotland and here i am trying to prove to the British i can speak english. Fip! what next, shall i give blood to prove my decent...

SO i have a letter from my University proving i have completed my degree however since it doesn't say 'which was taught in english' it is not any use to me.... I mean, what on earth does Home Office do with our 315quid on each application. You think it would cover the cost of a 5-10minute phone call to New Zealand to clarify the degree was taught in English. I mean bloody heck, what degree isn't taught in English in New Zealand.....
You would think they would have built up a good base knowledge of degrees around the world by now so that they knew which ones where taught in what language. Maybe add a clause that certain countrys where exempt from proving english language requirements and i know back home all Degrees from my university are taught in English.
anyway,
I understand why these rules are in place but it would seem there is no common sense involved. It wouldn't surprise if they refused an application because the letter from the university didn't state it was taught in english even tho the degree was from New Zealand. I mean, come on, think about it

This rule in my case means re-asking for another letter just so my University can reword the same thing. It seems absolutely silly in my opinion.

argghh, you can't beat the system..... i'm not even gonna try! I been trying to get the proof for this HSMP for ages now. Everytime i think i have it something else pops up and everytime they are always nigly annoying issues.....

Poms! :?
Regards,

Pam Aujla

ecker
Newly Registered

Post by ecker » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:10 pm

Why must there be a query?
I wanted to make the point that the application specifics for the HSMP is excessively pedantic. Plenty of people meet the criteria to gain HSMP status but getting through the application process is a nightmare.
I was using the fact i was finding it hard to prove i could speak english as an example of this. If i can't speak english i'm not sure who can......

I'm sure Home Office use their pedantic application guidelines as a revenue gathering technique. I would love to view the statistics for how many applications are refused for small insignificant reasons. Also i wouldn't mind viewing a break down of why the application costs over 300quid especially since stage 2 in the process (FLR) costs another 300quid!! I'm just unsure why 650quid is required to approve something where its the applicants full responsibility to supply all the information. All the caseworker has to do effectively is tick a few boxes. They clearly use no decretion in there work as applications will be refused for not having 'taught in english' stated on a letter which was printed from an english speaking University in New Zealand/Australia. I mean come on, it doesn't add up!
Does anybody agree? Perhaps someone can point me in the direction of the statistics asked for above? although i highly doubt home office will publish them....i'm sure they wouldn't want to stop this easy money.
Perhaps there is someone that has worked within home office that could justify the costs of these applications, perhaps its reasonable? prove me wrong

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:23 pm

Indeed this sis a money making Practice.
-Remember IELTS is the British Product (Australia also join later)
In many countries IELTS is normally organised by ether British council (UK) or IDP (australia). All money thay get go back in the UK

- They clearly mention (forgot the document) that the money they get from applicants are used to combat fraud in immigaration so defenitely not only from HSMP. Of course, I agree if you say this is unfair because HSMP aplicanty's money should only for HSMP application and nothing else. But what could we say ?

Pantaiema

ecker wrote:Why must there be a query?
I wanted to make the point that the application specifics for the HSMP is excessively pedantic. Plenty of people meet the criteria to gain HSMP status but getting through the application process is a nightmare.
I was using the fact i was finding it hard to prove i could speak english as an example of this. If i can't speak english i'm not sure who can......

I'm sure Home Office use their pedantic application guidelines as a revenue gathering technique. I would love to view the statistics for how many applications are refused for small insignificant reasons. Also i wouldn't mind viewing a break down of why the application costs over 300quid especially since stage 2 in the process (FLR) costs another 300quid!! I'm just unsure why 650quid is required to approve something where its the applicants full responsibility to supply all the information. All the caseworker has to do effectively is tick a few boxes. They clearly use no decretion in there work as applications will be refused for not having 'taught in english' stated on a letter which was printed from an english speaking University in New Zealand/Australia. I mean come on, it doesn't add up!
Does anybody agree? Perhaps someone can point me in the direction of the statistics asked for above? although i highly doubt home office will publish them....i'm sure they wouldn't want to stop this easy money.
Perhaps there is someone that has worked within home office that could justify the costs of these applications, perhaps its reasonable? prove me wrong

manindergill

Post by manindergill » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:10 pm

I agree with ecker and Panteima.

No sense of a English Language requirement for FLR when people are showing 8/12 months of earnings for points.

Will any employee survive with any employer for such periods without a good proficency in English.

Now , an applicant will give IELTS on 1st application , again IELTS on FLR as IELTS valid generally for 2 years only (getting certificates from some good / government Universities in India is a near to impossible task, and requesting it from British, Australian, New Zealana, US Universities is like cracking a PJ on them). The Dean, officials may even get angry.

So a £ 95 revenue for British Council for each applicant every time one is appearing in IELTS.

Perfect Business Model :lol:

ecker
Newly Registered

Post by ecker » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:47 pm

Actually getting a letter from a New Zealand University is very easy. All it takes is one email and its a completely free service (and fair enough after 4 years of fees!!) a few weeks later it arrives in the post...
My point was that having to prove my degree was taught in English is rediculous. All degrees from new zealand are taught in English!!! I even took spansish 101 and that was taught in english......

This letter of proof is holding up my application and its frustrating......