ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question about ILR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

zimbo_100
Newly Registered

Question about ILR

Post by zimbo_100 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:44 pm

Hi,

I have been resident in the UK for just over 2 years - first year on a working holiday visa, and then a year on HSMP. I have just renewed the HSMP for the next 4 years.
For the entire time I have been resident in the UK I have lived with my British girlfriend. My question is am I able to apply for ILR on the basis of having lived with her for 2 years even though I am on HSMP? Or does the 2 year living together rule only apply if you enter on a spouse-type visa???

Many thanks

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:04 am

The facts:

You can only receive ILR after 2 years of being with a British person if you have spent those 2 years either on a spouse visa or an unmarried partner visa.

Before you can apply for an unmarried partner visa however, you would have had to been living together with your partner for 2 years previously.

As it stands at the moment, you have another 4 more years to go before you get ILR if you carry on with an HSMP visa. (the 1 year you spent on a working holiday visa does not count towards ILR as this is not a settlement-type visa, and it takes 5 years to get ILR with an HSMP visa).

Although the 2 years you have previously spent with your British girlfriend do not entitle you to apply for ILR at the moment, it DOES entitle you to apply for an unmarried partner visa. After 2 years if being on this type of visa you will be able to apply for ILR.

Alternatively you could marry your British girlfriend and switch to a spouse visa. After 2 years of being on this you can apply for ILR AND you can immediately apply for British citizenship after you get your ILR because you would have fulfilled the requirements for naturalisation by virtue of being the spouse of a British citizen (those being 3 years residence in the UK, the holding of ILR status and being married to a British citizen).

In summary, you could carry on as you are now and wait another 4 years for ILR, or you could wait 2 years for ILR by switching to an unmarried partner visa or by getting married and switching to a spouse visa.

A word of warning though....if your relationship with your girlfriend deteriorates, it will put your unmarried partner visa or spouse visa at risk and it might not be so easy to switch back to an HSMP visa again if you need a rescue plan to remain in the country.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

zimbo_100
Newly Registered

Post by zimbo_100 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:25 am

Dawie, thank you so much for the brilliant break down of my options, that is such a help and you make it very clear what the possibilities are and I just need to decide the best.

Do you know what the effect of spending 1 year residing continuously in Australia, now at the beginning of my 4-year HSMP renewal would have when I then get to the end of the 4 years (assuming I return to the UK in a year, with 3 years HSMP visa left). As I understand it, the regulations allow you to spend up to 450 days outside the UK so this should not be a problem?

Anyway, thanks again for your help, I really do appreciate the time you have taken to respond with so much detail.

antontony

Post by antontony » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:04 am

Definately not !

The IDI say that you must not spend more then 180 days outside of the UK in 5 year period under your HSMP visa.

I discvered that information in the JCWI 2006 UK Immigration Law edition a few month ago.

Also, if you break your residence in the UK under HSMP visa for more then 3 consecutive months, you will not be granted ILR (Settlement).