ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bank account with family permit

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Laura721

Bank account with family permit

Post by Laura721 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:53 pm

I am unfortunately banking with Natwest. I want my husband to either have a separate account with them or a joint one with me, whichever is easiest really. So I go in, and they tell me they will only accept him if his visa is 6 months or more, his now expires in November.

Why should we have to wait until he has his RC to open an account for gods sake?

Laura721

Post by Laura721 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:31 pm

Anyone got any advice on this? I really don't appreciate this post being moved, it may be settling in but is based on the typical problems of a family permit, ie. banks not understand what it is.

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:06 pm

Some bank staff make up the rules as the go along as I found out recently when trying to add spouse to account. I expect they just did not have a clue about the family permit, try visiting a different branch and if you go nowhere ask to see the manager. Also get him added to your council tax bill that goes a long way to get them realising he is resident!
One bank told me that spouse had to be resident 3 years before he could be added - by then he will be Brit Cit so that is ridiculous.
pennyless

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:22 pm

I agree with the previous response. I know someone else on a Spouse visa who opened an account at Natwest, but they had asked for her NI number at the time. I would try another branch.