ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confusing Situation

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bairesluv
Newly Registered

Confusing Situation

Post by bairesluv » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:58 pm

I am an American citizen. My boyfriend was born in Northern Ireland. He lived in England and Scotland and then settled in Dublin. He is a British citizen.

Now, if we get married, and live in Dublin, what are my options? Can I become an Irish Citizen? Can I become a British Citizen? Or would he need to be Irish for the first one (which he can claim)? Or would we need to live in Britain for the second one?

And would this make it more difficult for me to work in either Ireland or Britain?

Any help would be appreciated.

-N

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:45 pm

I think you'll find that your boyfriend is an Irish citizen. Information on Irish citizenship here

You won't be eligible for British citizenship without settling in the UK for three years - details in Guide AN - here
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:08 am

ppron747 wrote:I think you'll find that your boyfriend is an Irish citizen. Information on Irish citizenship here

You won't be eligible for British citizenship without settling in the UK for three years - details in Guide AN - here
To add to what Paul has posted:

- If OP's boyfriend was British at birth and has never held an Irish passport then he's "entitled" to citizenship rather than legally a citizen. A deliberate grey area, one suspects. However if he obtains an Irish passport then he is deemed an Irish citizen from birth.

- For those married to Irish citizens, legal (under UK law) residence in Northern Ireland counts for naturalisation purposes

- The Irish take a long time to process naturalisation applications. Two years or more is a typical current timescale (much longer than for British citizenship).

- If a decision is taken to settle in Northern Ireland, then sponsoring for a UK visa under UK rules rather than EEA rules will provide a quicker pathway to British citizenship.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:45 pm

Your question is primarily about citizenship, which is going to take 3+ years no matter what. Citizenship does not happen fast.

To apply for UK citizenship as spouse of a UK citizen, you need to be living in the UK (including Northern Ireland) for at least 3 years.

It raises an interesting possibility. The Irish (still do?) give citizenship to some babies born in Northern Ireland, on the basis that it is/was (approximately) Irish territory. Maybe if you are married to an Irish citizen, then time residing in Northern Ireland also counts as time in Ireland and therefore time towards the residence requirement of Irish citizenship. In which case you could live in northern Ireland and then apply for both Irish and British citizenship. Just an idea...

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:59 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote: It raises an interesting possibility. The Irish (still do?) give citizenship to some babies born in Northern Ireland, on the basis that it is/was (approximately) Irish territory.
They used to give it to all babies born in Northern Ireland where the child or parents wanted it. But from 1.1.2005 there are new rules regarding the Irish or UK immigration/citizenship status of parents that must be met as well, for children born from that date.

Maybe if you are married to an Irish citizen, then time residing in Northern Ireland also counts as time in Ireland and therefore time towards the residence requirement of Irish citizenship. In which case you could live in northern Ireland and then apply for both Irish and British citizenship. Just an idea...
That's actually true - but only for those married to Irish citizens. Persons not married to an Irish citizen cannot use residence in Northern Ireland as a basis for Irish naturalisation.