ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Biometric Letter gives Invalid Barcode error at Post Office

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hsmp0804

Post by hsmp0804 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:01 pm

My biometric is due on 25th April (tomorrow), any updates about 25th after 23rd biometric cancellations?

Mine is at Croydon, just to confirm is it the right address for biometric enrolment services (same as in person application address)?

Lunar House, 40 Wellesley Road, Croydon CR9 2BY

kyborg99

Post by kyborg99 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:57 pm

Yes, it is the right address - went there last week - we reached there 40 minutes before our appointment and then were to wait for around 2.5 hours at the counuter for our Biometrics.

Some Tips:
- Reach 45 minutes earlier and get the token after the security check
- BM has dedicated counters in the end, Sit next to them please and wait for your token number to be called … for us this was a long wait
- Some of them staff r not experienced, after BM we were given a letter and asked to wait, Then someone asked us tht why we have been given that letter as they were not - We went back to ask to find out that the Letter should not have been given to us and the Staff took the letter back from us
Crux - If he hands you over a letter n asks u to wait - Confirm w him n return the letter to him
- After BM u ll have to wait another 20 minutes in front of the BM Cust Service Counter whilst they Verify that BM went through all right or not- for us it was Counter 10 (It will have a notice board kinda paper to tell u it’s the BM Cust Svcs counter)
- After u r done w the BM and u r waiting for it to be verified – don’t keep going to the counter every 5 minutes to see if its Verified or not - it ll annoy them - one of me fellow Asians was doing it - we got Verfied before them, so wait for 20 minutes before u go n ask them if its Verified or not
- They even call out ur token number after the BM - but they only do that once - so listen out for ur toekn number once BM is done - they ll call u tell u Verified or Not n u r free to GO
- Do take drinks/water/crisps w u to be at the safer side - vending machine there is not good

hsmp0804

Post by hsmp0804 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:18 pm

Thanks kyborg99. Your post is very useful....

hsmp0804

Post by hsmp0804 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:33 pm

Provided biometric at Croydon today, almost the same experience as kyborg99 with few exceptions

-Had appointment at 1.30 pm and was allowed to enter only at 1.00 pm (not before.
-After security checks, got token, went to the dedicated biometric section, on the end of the hall and waited there for 60 mins
-tiken number got called, provided finger prints and they took a photo and was told to wait outside the token number to be called again.
-Waited 35 minutes and token number called, in another counder in the front and the lady told, you are free to go :-). On asking she said, biometric is completed and verified.

Was wondering, they didnt give any receipt for my successful biometric submission which I can keep as a proof.

kyborg99, did you get any? In PO biometric submission, my wife had got a receipt with the amount paid.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:34 pm

hsmp0804 wrote:Provided biometric at Croydon today, almost the same experience as kyborg99 with few exceptions

-Had appointment at 1.30 pm and was allowed to enter only at 1.00 pm (not before.
-After security checks, got token, went to the dedicated biometric section, on the end of the hall and waited there for 60 mins
-tiken number got called, provided finger prints and they took a photo and was told to wait outside the token number to be called again.
-Waited 35 minutes and token number called, in another counder in the front and the lady told, you are free to go :-). On asking she said, biometric is completed and verified.

Was wondering, they didnt give any receipt for my successful biometric submission which I can keep as a proof.

kyborg99, did you get any? In PO biometric submission, my wife had got a receipt with the amount paid.
they don't give you a receipt when you go to the PEO for biometrics.

sweets182
Newly Registered

Post by sweets182 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:02 am

timesofindia wrote:Have you emailed AppointmentExceptions??

I am getting standard emails from appointment exceptions..

------------

Thank you for your enquiry.

The UK Border Agency is aware of an error with a small number of barcodes on enrolments letters and is working to resolve this problem as a matter of urgency. I am sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

Once your barcode has failed to scan at a Post Office you can not enrol your biometrics at a Post Office. Unfortunately when a Barcode fails, it will fail consistently even when a new letter is issued. This I why we are not able to issue a new letter in your wife’s case.

We will be in touch very shortly about the next steps.

Thank you
Appointment Exceptions
Hi, how long do they take to reply? Cos I mailed them & it's 2 working days I didnt receive a reply yet.
I called the UKBA again today and they me another email id BRPError@homeoffice.gsi.co.uk.... The person on phone didn't even note my Name or reference number, just asked me to mail them instead. I wonder why he didn't address this on phone like they replied in other cases as per this forum...

This is really crazy... I m also trying to book an online appointment now rather than waiting for their reply which never comes.

timesofindia

Post by timesofindia » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:35 pm

sweets182 wrote:
timesofindia wrote:Have you emailed AppointmentExceptions??

I am getting standard emails from appointment exceptions..

------------

Thank you for your enquiry.

The UK Border Agency is aware of an error with a small number of barcodes on enrolments letters and is working to resolve this problem as a matter of urgency. I am sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

Once your barcode has failed to scan at a Post Office you can not enrol your biometrics at a Post Office. Unfortunately when a Barcode fails, it will fail consistently even when a new letter is issued. This I why we are not able to issue a new letter in your wife’s case.

We will be in touch very shortly about the next steps.

Thank you
Appointment Exceptions
Hi, how long do they take to reply? Cos I mailed them & it's 2 working days I didnt receive a reply yet.
I called the UKBA again today and they me another email id BRPError@homeoffice.gsi.co.uk.... The person on phone didn't even note my Name or reference number, just asked me to mail them instead. I wonder why he didn't address this on phone like they replied in other cases as per this forum...

This is really crazy... I m also trying to book an online appointment now rather than waiting for their reply which never comes.
Yes usually takes 2-3 days. When booking appointment try to book for all the applicants (not just for one).
There is only one permanent thing in life and that is change !!!

ups

Post by ups » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:16 am

So, I come back from work and am psyched to see a letter from UKBA at the doorstep - it is the biometric enrollment letter! Next morning, I am the first person into the post office as soon as it opens at 9AM. She takes the letter, tries to scan it - doesn't work. She tries several times, both barcodes. Nothing. She says - sorry the barcode is coming up as invalid, you will have to call them up for a new one. I was so annoyed... was already late for work so rushed to catch my train.

On the train, searched the forums and found out that it is a frequent occurrence. Was really annoyed that they couldn't even print a barcode right!

After some research, decided to call them first instead of sending an email and waiting. After 20 minute wait on the 0870 number, spoke to a lady who immediately told me my only option is to go to a PEO if barcode doesn't work. I took an appointment for the same day after 2 hours, and rushed to the Croydon PEO (as I was in a different part of the country).

Got there on time, through security and queue within 10 mins. Got the token and waited to be called. An hour passed, and they didn't bother calling my number - even though there were mostly idling on the biometric counters. Finally went inside and asked them when I can expected to be called, as 3 of the 4 biometric staff were just chit chatting. They then called their boss to ask why I wasn't called (though they could see my number in the queue). After speaking to their boss it was sorted out - and I was called after about 15 mins of having raised it with them. They couldn't explain why I wasn't called all this time.

After about 5 minutes of capturing the biometrics, I was told I can leave - though they had earlier said it may take 20-30 mins to verify. At least something happened quick.

The joys of dealing with the UKBA!

sandeep755
Newly Registered

Biometric Letter - Barcode Error

Post by sandeep755 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:54 pm

Hi Guys,

I am also a Tier-1 General Migrant, extension applicant. Few days back I received letter from UKBA for submitting biometric data. Unfortunately, the Post Office was not able to read the barcode and informed me to get another letter from UKBA. I have emailed them twice (in last 7 days) but have not received any response. Calling them is very painful, I tried several times and was kept on hold for more than 1 hr, and finally I disconnected the call.

Any idea how much time they take to response on email and what else I can do to speed it up.

Thanks,

layman

Post by layman » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:38 pm

Thanks UPS for pointing me to this post. Copied from my original post.
After my successful PEO application for my visa extension, I had applied by post for my dependants. Received the Biometrics enrolment letter for 3 dependants and went to the post office. Biometrics went fine for 2 dependants but the bar code was not scanable for my younger kid. Was asked to contact UKBA. Wrote an email to AppointmentExceptions@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk. They replied saying bar code cannot be re-generated and that I need to call Immigration Enquiry Bureau at 0870 606 7766 and they will book an appointment at an enrolment center.

All seemed well till this point. Tried 2 times and disconnected after listening to the music and the 'high call volumes' message for more than 30 minutes. Reached an adviser on the 3rd attempt after 20 minutes. Imagine my frustration when the adviser mentioned that the in-person enrolment for bar-code error cannot be done at the Belfast PEO(I live in NI) and that I need to go to one of the other PEOs in the mainland.

My kid is less than 6 years old so does not need to provide fingerprints. To travel to mainland just to take a digital photograph is to me gross waste of time and resources with the attached inconvenience. I have emailed UKBA for an alternative but going by how UKBA functions, I doubt if they will make any attempt to come at a pragmatic solution.

Now that I have vented some of my frustration, I will come to the questions.

Are biometrics mandatory for all below 6 children given that the application already has their photographs?
Do you know of any incidence where kids below 6 were exempted from biometrics?

While going through the information for other PEOs, I noticed this sentence in the Liverpool PEO information

Dependent children do not need to attend the office.

Does this mean dependent children(who are not applying) of adults who are applying in person OR dependent children listend on the main applicants form for PEO application?

Any other experiences due to bar code error on the enrolment letter?

mrjsg

Please advise

Post by mrjsg » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:09 pm

Hi all, I also have same problem. My kid's barcode does not scan at postoffice. I have also received second letter from UKBA today but again it did not work. please advise what should I do now?

layman

Post by layman » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:21 pm

Call 0870 606 7766 and get a PEO appointment for the biometrics

nilemarques
Member of Standing

Re: Biometric Letter gives Invalid Barcode error at Post Off

Post by nilemarques » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:57 am

[quote="kyborg99"]My child, wife and me got the Biometric Letter for our Tier 1 G extension and we went to Oxford PO for the same.

My kid and I were able to successfully submit the same, however the Biometric barcode on the letter did not work for my Wife ...it kept returning Invalid error.

I called the 0870 call centre and they said they have raised a case with the Head Office and I will have to wait now.

... anyone else experienced a similar issue please? If yes, what did you do? How did you get it resolved please?

Thanks in advance
Kartik[/quote]

Hi, same happened to me. I called the UKBA number on the letter and I was actually given an appointment to go to Croydon 2 days later where I had my daughters bio's done. This was back in July.

jojo14
Newly Registered

Biometric Letter gives Invalid Barcode error at Post Office

Post by jojo14 » Fri May 09, 2014 8:43 pm

Hi

im finally decide to seek some advice and joined... i have being in the uk for 14 years (asylum and not claiming any form of benefit) finally.
#last year july 2013 after taking out a judicial review the HO promised to see to my case within 4 months
#after the 4 months(november) the HO did not contact me or my solicitor about m case
#end of february a protocol letter was sent to them .
#since then i have received two biometric letter that the barcode has not work at any post office i took it to.

any advice about m case in general or anyone being through similar road, would be welcomed

thanks

Poojasharma81
Newly Registered

Post by Poojasharma81 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:04 pm

Hi my name is pooja sharma same happend to me we went for our biomatric at luton post offin on 6/12/2014 I hv done mine and my husband's as well bt my doughter's letter's barcod is was not correct and that lady told me that contact to the ukba and confirm. Plz send my doughter's correct barcode letter again so I can complete my visa application process thanks and regards pooja sharma contact num 07403423673

Poojasharma81
Newly Registered

Post by Poojasharma81 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:08 pm

Poojasharma81 wrote:Hi my name is pooja sharma same happend to me we went for our biomatric at luton post office on 6/12/2014 I hv done mine and my husband's as well bt my doughter's letter's barcod was not correct and that lady told me that contact to the ukba and confirm. Plz send my doughter's correct barcode letter again so I can complete my visa application process thanks and regards pooja sharma contact num 07403423673