ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

marrying in uk with Canadian Citizen

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tanveer malik
Newly Registered

marrying in uk with Canadian Citizen

Post by tanveer malik » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:32 pm

Hi, I was bit confused due to lack of knowledge. i need know that i m pakistani passport holder and i m student i uk at study VISA.
My Girlfriend is Canadian Citizen Pakistani, last week she arrived to uk, and she is with me and we decided to live together in uk. as a register partners(Marriage). And can we get uk residence?
And what we have to do to live, and work in uk? She is 22 Year old and i m 23.
Last edited by tanveer malik on Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:42 pm

There is nothing to stop you getting married in the UK. She can't reside with you in the UK unless you are studying a course at Level 7 with a HEI. If you are indeed studying on this basis, she would need to return to Canada (or Pakistan) and apply for PBS dependant visa.

chunkybeefsoup

Post by chunkybeefsoup » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:30 pm

I suggest you seek professional advice as it is not that simple.

Normally you have to have a visa to come over and marry in the UK

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:20 pm

Well it is that simple! A person who is inside the UK can marry irrespective of their immigration status. However, and this the difference, a person who is outside the UK wishing to enter the UK to get married needs a visa for that purpose. The former situation applies to the person who has asked the question in this thread.

asim72
BANNED

Post by asim72 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:32 am

If I am understood OP's query correctly, he is saying that he is a Pakistani citizen, and now wants to marry Canadian citizen.

Then he asks " And can we get UK residence?"

He is probably (wishfully) thinking that by marrying a Canadian citizen he will be able to obtain residency in UK.

tanveer malik
Newly Registered

Post by tanveer malik » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:53 am

asim yes you right
so now plz can you tell me about something

tanveer malik
Newly Registered

Post by tanveer malik » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:09 am

she in uk now

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:08 am

Lucapooka wrote:There is nothing to stop you getting married in the UK. She can't reside with you in the UK unless you are studying a course at Level 7 with a HEI. If you are indeed studying on this basis, she would need to return to Canada (or Pakistan) and apply for PBS dependant visa.
Lucapooka has already given you the advice you need in the post above.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Re: marrying in uk with Canadian Citizen

Post by ALKB » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:53 pm

tanveer malik wrote:Hi, I was bit confused due to lack of knowledge. i need know that i m pakistani passport holder and i m student i uk at study VISA.
My Girlfriend is Canadian Citizen Pakistani, last week she arrived to uk, and she is with me and we decided to live together in uk. as a register partners(Marriage). And can we get uk residence?
And what we have to do to live, and work in uk? She is 22 Year old and i m 23.
Marrying a Canadian citizen will not automatically change your immigration status in the UK; Canadians are also subject to immigration control.

If you want to live in the UK with your Canadian wife, she would have to apply for a Tier 4 dependant visa as Lucapooka mentioned above, or qualify otherwise in her own right.

If you meet the Canadian requirements, she could sponsor you for a Canadian spouse visa.

By the way, what happened to your EU-national wife of three years from Amsterdam? You will have to divorce her first before you can marry your girlfriend.

tanveer malik
Newly Registered

Post by tanveer malik » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:11 pm

canadian case for my couzan.
ALKB not for me

asim72
BANNED

Post by asim72 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:49 pm

Now may I put this straight to tanveer malik. Marrying a Canadian itself gives you no right to live in United Kingdom. Marrying a Canadian in UK is just like marrying a Pakistani or Indian or Nigerian. So like marrying an Indian or Pakistani or Nigerian does not give you any right to live in UK, in the same way marrying a Canadian does not give you any right to live in UK on the basis of your marriage.