ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Document not sent within 7 calendar days - is this ok???

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

zeberga
Newly Registered

Document not sent within 7 calendar days - is this ok???

Post by zeberga » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:12 am

Hi everyone,

I have sent a document too late than what UKBA required. Here is the problem,

Early May - Applied for General Tier 1 extension
Mid May - Changed address
Mid May - Notified UKBA of change of address
Early June - General Tier 1 visa expired (while documents are in the hands of UKBA)
13 June - UKBA sent my passport asking me to place my signature on it. The letter said I must return it within 7 calendar days or else my application will be rejected and documents returned to me. The letter and my passport were sent to my old address.
27 June (evening) - I got the mail from tenants in my previous address.
28 June - I sent my signed passport together with supporting documents as to why the passport was late.
29 June - UKBA received my passport.

As you can see, they received my document in 17 working days, not 7 as they requested in their letter. Their letter goes on to say,

"No further extension will be given. If the signed passport has not been received by our offices within seven calendar days from the date of this letter, the application will be rejected as invalid and arrangements will be made to refund any fee which you have included with the invalid application."

Also, I found out for General Tier 1 I should have used the change of circumstances paper form and not the online form to update my contact details. So this is all my mistake now.

I can't sleep. Will they reject my application? Should I prepare for an appeal? On what grounds?

I appreciate your help!!!
Last edited by zeberga on Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mantasingh

Post by mantasingh » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:54 am

Just sit back and pray for the best.
If it comes out to be negative, only then think of alternate options.

Right now you can do nothing about it.

zeberga
Newly Registered

Post by zeberga » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:04 pm

Thank you for the kind words mantasingh. They have written two paragraphs about the 7 calendar days and making it clear they will refuse the application if my passport arrives late. I'm looking for immigration lawyers now. I hope I am over-reacting.

zeberga
Newly Registered

Post by zeberga » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:39 pm

I will keep updating this page in case it helps anyone.

I haven't heard from UKBA yet. However I found a set of staff guidance documents here,

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... rguidance/

One of the documents explains what case workers should do when further information from the applicant is required. I encourage anyone with a similar problem to read it,

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

The document says for a UK applicant a maximum of four weeks deadline should be given. Caseworkers are allowed to give a shorter deadline if they think the applicant can provide the required document within that period. It also talks about deadline extensions. Mind you, this document is for HSMP and I couldn't find the policy for General Tier 1. I am hoping it is similar.

zeberga
Newly Registered

Post by zeberga » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:50 pm

Another update.

Good news. I received the biometric invitation letter. The letter was sent to my previous address (as expected). Letter is dated 02 July. I got it on 06 July.

My advice to others:
- Check your mail every day. Don't risk going away for a while.
- If you change address, fill the right "change of address" form. The online form is not for everyone.
- Don't rely on mail forwarding. Some of your mails may still get delivered to your old address.
- If you were not able to provide a document within the deadline you were given, send them the document anyway, with proof of why it was late.
- It's hard to get a premium appointment but give that a try before you apply by post. Much less hassle that way.

nks

Post by nks » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:53 pm

I can't understand what it means to place signature on passport. Passport inherently carry holder's signature then why this additional requirement. And is it ok for holder to put signature on such request?

confused,
nks

zeberga
Newly Registered

Post by zeberga » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:18 pm

I don't think they expect signature on a passport that doesn't have a field for it. They asked me to sign it because the first page of my passport has a signature field. Also, my current passport is not digital (long story) so my signature is not stored on it digitally.

I know another friend who forgot to sign the application form itself. This is inexcusable of course, and weeks later he got his form back. I was at the post office to get my biometrics done and at least 10 tries later the software was still complaining the picture was not acceptable. The lady told me she can submit the photo at my own risk so I've decided to try another post office instead. I can't emphasise enough how the premium service is more effective.

sherjan

Post by sherjan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:17 am

zeberga wrote:I don't think they expect signature on a passport that doesn't have a field for it. They asked me to sign it because the first page of my passport has a signature field. Also, my current passport is not digital (long story) so my signature is not stored on it digitally.

I know another friend who forgot to sign the application form itself. This is inexcusable of course, and weeks later he got his form back. I was at the post office to get my biometrics done and at least 10 tries later the software was still complaining the picture was not acceptable. The lady told me she can submit the photo at my own risk so I've decided to try another post office instead. I can't emphasise enough how the premium service is more effective.
Some time paying little extra gives you peace of mind service. I believe that in such cases person should attend personally at Home Office for extension or ILR 'cause if some thing goes wrong as it happend to you then it could Jeopardise all your effor, years, time, money and on top of that you will be underpressure for number of days...if by attending HOme office personally could save you a lot of things then its worth to pay £400-500 extra...'cause these £500 you can earn in one month...that's my theory :-)