ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship for children

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bluemadimor
Newly Registered

British Citizenship for children

Post by bluemadimor » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:12 pm

hello everyone,

my child is born in uk before i got the ILR. are their any chances for her to become a british citizen.

or do i need to apply for her citizenship after i get my citizenship.

thank you.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:23 pm

do i need to apply for her citizenship after i get my citizenship
If the child is still under 18 when you apply for your Naturalisation, include the child on the form AN(NEW) and then when you are granted Naturalisation, your child will be granted Registration as British.

In other words, you apply for their citizenship at the same time as you apply for yours.

If the child is over 18 then they will need to make their own Naturalisation application, after they too have passed the Citizenship Test.

Alternatively, given that the child was born in the UK, after you have your ILR you can apply to register your child as British, using form MN1. That is, it could be the case that your child might be British before you.
John

JAJ
Australia

Re: British Citizenship for children

Post by JAJ » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:09 am

bluemadimor wrote:hello everyone,

my child is born in uk before i got the ILR. are their any chances for her to become a british citizen.

or do i need to apply for her citizenship after i get my citizenship.
If your child is born in the UK, then he or she can be registered as a British citizen immediately once you get ILR (provided child is still under 18 ).

You can wait until you naturalise yourself and then include the child but it's not compulsory where child is UK-born.

bluemadimor
Newly Registered

Post by bluemadimor » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:28 am

Thank u John and Jaj for the comments. but as Jaj has quoted,

"If your child is born in the UK, then he or she can be registered as a British citizen immediately once you get ILR (provided child is still under 18 )".

my child is now 5yrs old. and she was born in uk before we got ILR so, do u mean that she may be eligible for the citizenship? actually her indian passport is getting expired next month. so, if i have an option of directly getting her citizenship i can avoid the renewal of the passport.

cheers.

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:56 am

Yes - see "Section A" of Guide and Form MN1 which you can access from this page of the IND website.
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

bluemadimor
Newly Registered

Post by bluemadimor » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:12 pm

thank u ppron747,

ur suggestion really helped. i looked into section A and i gave a call to Home Office Nationality Group. they said my child is eligible to apply for the citizenship.

thanks once again for all the replies.

hypegal3

Post by hypegal3 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:36 pm

what if a child is born in uk and parent are on student visa
there 4 u

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:53 pm

If and when one of the parents does get ILR, he/she will be entitled to regsitration as described above. Otherwise, if he/she lives in the UK for the first ten years of his/her life - without leaving for more than 90 days per year - then he/she will finally be eligibla to be registered.

hypegal3

Post by hypegal3 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:58 pm

thanks paul but how long will it take. the babys dad in here now for 8yrs and mother 7, can i still get it or do i have to wait another 2-3years.
there 4 u

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:04 pm

If neither of the parents gets ILR, it will take ten years for the child to become entitled to registration as a British citizen.

However, if one of the parents does get ILR, the child becomes immediately entitled to registration as a British citizen.

hypegal3

Post by hypegal3 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:14 pm

thanks once again, we are planning on going on hols and wanting to take baby with us, but i read somewhere that he can leave the country but cant return, even though he was born here, this is beacuse we renewd our visa already in october and is gonna finish in oct 07, how can i get him on my visa, if its already been issued
there 4 u

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:30 pm

I think you'll need either to apply in UK before you go, on Form FLR(O) here, or apply for a visa for him in whichever country you're planning on travelling to...

I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong...
Last edited by ppron747 on Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arm
Member of Standing

Post by arm » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:49 am

Hi all,

I also have some questions about this topic.

If I'm in the UK under HSMP a couple of months and my baby will born. What happens? Can he/she take UK passport? and how long will valid this passport.

Do I need to return my home country to take passport for my child?

Thank you very much.

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:22 am

Since 1983, children born in UK are not British citizens unless they have a British citizen parent, or a parent "settled" in UK (eg with indefinite leave to remain). So it is to be hoped that your child will have the citizenship of your home country....

arm
Member of Standing

Post by arm » Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:01 am

Thanks ppron747,

But if my child borns in the UK will they give him some temporary passport or some documents for traveling outside?

And also if we go outside will my child need visa for entering to the UK again?

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:54 am

You'll need to approach the Embassy of your home country for a passport, I think. Then, as I said above, "I think you'll need either to apply in UK before you go, on Form FLR(O) here, or apply for a visa for him in whichever country you're planning on travelling to... "

mielay2004
Newly Registered

applying British Citizenship for Baby

Post by mielay2004 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:32 pm

Dear Sir/Madam

I have a visa which is leave to remain for 5 years. My baby was born in UK and she is 8 months old. My wife was student and stayed with student visa before I married her. Now, she got a visa which is the same like me after I married her. When I enquiry to Home Office about British Citizenship for my baby, she said that both parents must have Indefinite Leave to Remain. When I looked at you website forum, you mentioned only one parent has Indefinite Leave to Remain. I am confuse about that. To apply a British Citizenship for my baby, both parents must have ILR or only one parent must have ILR? Is there any time limited my baby has to stay in UK to apply a British Citizenship?
If my wife and baby stay in abroad for long period does it affect to my wife when she applies Indefinte Leave to Remain and my baby when she apply a British Citizenship?

Thank You

Mielay

JAJ
Australia

Re: applying British Citizenship for Baby

Post by JAJ » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:59 am

mielay2004 wrote:Dear Sir/Madam

I have a visa which is leave to remain for 5 years. My baby was born in UK and she is 8 months old. My wife was student and stayed with student visa before I married her. Now, she got a visa which is the same like me after I married her. When I enquiry to Home Office about British Citizenship for my baby, she said that both parents must have Indefinite Leave to Remain. When I looked at you website forum, you mentioned only one parent has Indefinite Leave to Remain. I am confuse about that. To apply a British Citizenship for my baby, both parents must have ILR or only one parent must have ILR?
Only one parent needs to have ILR. This is very clear in section 1 of the British Nationality Act 1981.

If someone at the Home Office said both parents must have ILR, then he or she is wrong. Simple as that.

Regarding your other questions, you should ask on a separate thread.

mielay2004
Newly Registered

Thank you all

Post by mielay2004 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:37 pm

You made it clear to me.

Thanks
mL