ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dependent family members of Non-EU National

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

thsths
United Kingdom

Post by thsths » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:41 pm

Premo wrote:I send around £300 per month, somtimes more. That converts to $1200 ECD. They are living in a remote rural village were there's no employment. $1200 is a lot of money over there and can definitely provide in the basics for more then 1 person. (in this case mom and daughter)

The daughter is 16 now and is not going school anymore as they can't afford.
I think the real question is how you want things to play out once they are in the UK. Why can you not continue the current arrangement? Do you have enough funds to support them here? Do you need them to live close to provide care and personal support? School is a factor, too, but it could go both ways.

keffers
BANNED

Post by keffers » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:33 am

Why can you not continue the current arrangement?
Irrelevant for family permit.
Do you have enough funds to support them here?
Irrelevant for family permit.

What is the cost of food, accomodation, water etc per month? Is there sucha thing as minimum wage or published average income?

Premo

Post by Premo » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:00 am

Hi there,

Just to clear things up - Me and my wife are only trying to get my wife's sister to the UK. Not the mother.

There is no employment in her village and surroundings. The only thing going was a big banana plantation but it has now been privatized and they dropped quite a few workers.

The minimum wage for workers on the plantation was around $200 ECD.

With no income at all, they can manage and eat off what the land has to offer. They have public toilets/shower rooms build by the government with water running a few times a day.

The main reason for us to bring the sister here is because she is now still under age and we want to give her a better life and school oppertunities.

Premo

Post by Premo » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:03 am

The money we are sending comes to a lot. It's used to buy food in the capital. Pay electric. Buy clothes. Food prices and clothes are now taxed and they're to high for locals..

keffers
BANNED

Post by keffers » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:31 am

The main reason for us to bring the sister here is because she is now still under age and we want to give her a better life and school oppertunities.
The purpose of her joining you must be because she is an extended family member due to being dependant upon you. I would keep the above to yourself, as I have seen written in guidelines somewhere that joining family for a better life is not the purpose of a family permit (in reality why would anyone move half way across the word for a worse life?).

Simarlarly, the money sent must be enough for the basics and not to achieve a certain standard of living. But if yours is the only money it would be first and foremost for the essentials and not in addition to any other money going into the household.

thsths
United Kingdom

Post by thsths » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:46 am

keffers wrote:The purpose of her joining you must be because she is an extended family member due to being dependant upon you. I would keep the above to yourself, as I have seen written in guidelines somewhere that joining family for a better life is not the purpose of a family permit (in reality why would anyone move half way across the word for a worse life?).

Simarlarly, the money sent must be enough for the basics and not to achieve a certain standard of living. But if yours is the only money it would be first and foremost for the essentials and not in addition to any other money going into the household.
I agree. You have to show financial dependence (she cannot cope without your support, and possibly that you feel it is your duty to support her). I still think that a reason for her to move here would strengthen the application - for example you want to help her personally and not just financially. You could also say that looking after her is cheaper here because of rising costs in her home country, and because you can share accommodation.

Premo

Post by Premo » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:51 pm

Hi,

Thanks a lot for you help on this matter. Some good advice from you both. I think it would be a good thing as well to name a reason for her move to strenghten the application.

I have to be carefull with this though and formulate it right. You know instead of going through a sollicitor I will try to do this on my own and keep you guys updated.

One last thing. When she's here on a standard 6 months visa and in the meantime (as she's under age) we want to put her in college or give her a course, would she be accepted easily? If so, would this help in the application?

keffers
BANNED

Post by keffers » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:35 pm

If she came on a visitor visa, the issue would be one of intent ie why did she not apply for a family permit before travelling, which would have enabled thorough in country checks to be undertaken prior to her arrival.

Once here she would not be able to apply for a famly permit but would have to apply for an EEA2 RC - which would basically raise the issue of proving what would have to be proven when applying for a family permit in the first place.

dungeonlord
Newly Registered

Re: Dependent family members of Non-EU National

Post by dungeonlord » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:36 am

Hi Premo
I know this is an old post but i am in a similar situation and i was wondering how did it go?
did you manage to bring your wife's sister in the UK
any advice would be highly appreciated.
You can contact me at gabriele.biotek@gmail.com

el patron
Member of Standing

Re: Dependent family members of Non-EU National

Post by el patron » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:27 pm

dungeonlord wrote:Hi Premo
I know this is an old post but i am in a similar situation and i was wondering how did it go?
did you manage to bring your wife's sister in the UK
any advice would be highly appreciated.
You can contact me at gabriele.biotek@gmail.com
Had a look at this old post too. The other option would have been bypassing the family permit process completely and applying when in the UK directly for the residence card, supplying proof at that point of dependency in country of origin and current dependency/membership of household in UK.