ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Experience clarification

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

BennyG
Newly Registered

UK Experience clarification

Post by BennyG » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:43 pm

I am a bit confused by the UK Experience points. The Guidance for Applicants states:
Introduction and Points Available
You can claim five points if you have previous experience of living in the UK if either:

- You have successfully scored points under the previous earnings category and your earnings were in the UK; or

- You have studied and graduated at Bachelors degree level or higher in full-time higher education in the UK, or at a UK-based overseas educational institution, for at least one full academic year.

In my case, I graduated from a university in the US, but I studied for 1 year (3 terms) at University College London. My US university awarded me credit for these courses, but it technically maintains no facilities in the UK and so may not be considered a UK-based overseas educational institution.

Can anyone offer insight? Am I being paranoid about the language?

webhunter
Member of Standing

Post by webhunter » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:50 pm

I am afraid, on this occassion I am inclined to agree with you.
If possible, I would be tempted not to depend on points from this area. However, if only getting these 5 points qualifies you to be eligible, then you may want to do additional research. Best bet would be to write to the Work-permits team and get first hand information on this.

Marvel
Newly Registered

Post by Marvel » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:51 pm

I think you will not get points for the same.. as the guidance says

Either you have earned during ur stay and are claiming points for it.. which u have not

or
You have studied and graduated at Bachelors degree level or higher in full-time higher education in the UK, - u have not

or

at a UK-based overseas educational institution, for at least one full academic year... was ur US university... UK based?..if yes... then u can claim else no

BennyG
Newly Registered

Post by BennyG » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:54 pm

Marvel wrote: at a UK-based overseas educational institution, for at least one full academic year... was ur US university... UK based?..if yes... then u can claim else no
That's the catch. It was a study-abroad programme at my US-based university which has a partnership with the UK-based university. Whether this partnership constitutes a programme based in the UK seems to be the question.

Marvel
Newly Registered

Post by Marvel » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:07 pm

Then I will advise same as webhunter.

BennyG
Newly Registered

Post by BennyG » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:17 pm

Sorry if I am asking an obvious question, but how does one contact the Work-permits team? And can I do this just for a question, without having submitted any paperwork?

Marvel
Newly Registered

Post by Marvel » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:25 pm

you can call their customer service number 0114 207 4074

Marvel

BennyG
Newly Registered

Post by BennyG » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:11 pm

Thank you very much for your advice. :)