ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working Tax Credits

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jem12
Newly Registered

Working Tax Credits

Post by jem12 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:16 pm

Hi All

I have just read the following from UKBA

Child and working tax credits are claimed jointly by couples. If only one member of a couple
is subject to immigration control, then for tax credits purposes, neither are treated as being
subject to immigration control.

Background: I am a British citizen born and bread who's wife has just arrived with her son, she on a spouse visa that has to be extended in November as she has been in and out of the country due to looking after her son(out of the country for more than 3 months in the 24 month period) while we waited for his visa to accepted. We will also have to extend his visa at the same time as they gave his visa in line with when my wife's runs out.

So my question is - 1)Can I still apply for working tax credits even though it will be a joint application and my wife has no work here yet?

2) Can I apply for child tax credits as i am the sponser for my stepson although it will be a joint application with me and my wife?

Where would i stand when extending the visa's, can i claim the above or not?

Thanks

Jem12

heydo101
Newly Registered

Post by heydo101 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:45 pm

I spoke to a benefits advisor the other day and I *think* you can apply for working tax credits since you're British and work here. It looks like, from what you posted, that she can apply too, but UKBA is so vague on these things. I was told my partner wouldn't be entitled to any benefits if he worked here, but this is saying maybe he can apply?
I'm not so sure about the child tax credits either, BUT it's worth a shot, isn't it? Just apply, and if you don't get it, so be it.

jem12
Newly Registered

Post by jem12 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:30 pm

Hi Heydo 101

Thanks for the reply. I also have spoken to inland rev and the guy said i should also be able to claim for child tax credits even though it states on my wife and step son's visa 'no recourse to public funds'.

It is all very confusing, I don't want to jeopordise the extending of their visas in September. Thats to say that if i do get one or both that the gov will see and they could cancel their visa's

Anyone know more?