ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

have to travel after applying for british Nationality

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

man1976

have to travel after applying for british Nationality

Post by man1976 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:05 pm

I got my 4 year work permit + 1 year ILR. I intend to apply for british nationality soon. i need to travel to another country 1 month after submitting the application. I believe home office keeps your passport till your application is processed

My question is can we ask them to return the passport after 3 weeks...

Also can someone point me to the topic which talks about what documents one need to submit with the applicaton. My status is 4 year Work Permit +1 year of ILR.

Thank you

sheetaxml
Newly Registered

no need of passport

Post by sheetaxml » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:52 pm

There is no need to send your original passport while applying british citizen ship. You need to send photocopy only.

Thanks

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:23 pm

Man1976, it is highly recommended that you submit your naturalisation application using NCS. Not only does this tend to speed up the process, in some cases quite considerably, but it also means that you are never not in possession of your passport ..... except for the couple of minutes at the NCS office while they take a photocopy.

NCS? More detail .... click here. Are you reasonably near to a NCS office?
John

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:23 pm

As a selling point for NCS, today in this topic a member has posted this timeline :-
NCS or Postal : NCS Bracknell
Date of submission : May 26, 2006
CRITERIA - 4 yrs WP + 1 yr
Date of receipt of approval: 6 Jun 2006
Date of Ceremony: 15 Jun 2006
Date of appln. for passport: 16 Jun 2006
Method used: Fast track
Date of Receipt: 20 Jun 2006
So less than a month from submission of the naturalisation application to receipt of their British Passport! Amazing!
John

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:30 pm

It might also be worth adding, for the record, that sheetaxml's assertion that you can just send a photocopy yourself is untrue....
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

sheetaxml
Newly Registered

Post by sheetaxml » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:41 am

I have applied to citizenship by post. I did not send my original passport and been approved without any issues.

Thanks

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:56 am

sheetaxml wrote:I have applied to citizenship by post. I did not send my original passport and been approved without any issues.

Thanks
Was the copy of your passport certified?

sheetaxml
Newly Registered

Post by sheetaxml » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:58 am

yes, it was certified by solicitor

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:01 pm

So you didn't just send a photocopy, then. You sent a certified copy, which is different. Try and keep up.
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

man1976

Any ideas what document i need

Post by man1976 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:58 pm

Hi can someone point me to the right direction. I am sure this question must have been asked 100 times. What documents do i need to submit
thank you
regards
Man1976

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:17 pm

Man1976, have you downloaded the AN(NEW) application form and guide? If not you clearly need to do that ..... click here and also click here.

If you have already downloaded those documents then the answer to your question should be clear. You will probably be surprised how little supporting documentation is needed, but then some entries you make on the form will enable relevant computer searches to be made, for example, of your tax records.
John

kairos

Notarized Photocopy

Post by kairos » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:11 am

I submitted my application for naturalisation five weeks ago, as the spouse of a British citizen, and was told by the HO last week that my application is still in the que.

I sent in notorized photocopies of our passports instead of originals but only submitted copies of the photograph-page of both passports (as well as a copy of my ILR visa). Should I have sent in a copy of every page of both passports? If yes, do you think this mistake will significantly slow down the progress of my application?

Should I wait to be contacted by them or phone in again and offer to send the original passports in right away?

Thanks very much for your help and advice!

Dawie
Diamond Member

Re: Notarized Photocopy

Post by Dawie » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:38 am

kairos wrote:I submitted my application for naturalisation five weeks ago, as the spouse of a British citizen, and was told by the HO last week that my application is still in the que.

I sent in notorized photocopies of our passports instead of originals but only submitted copies of the photograph-page of both passports (as well as a copy of my ILR visa). Should I have sent in a copy of every page of both passports? If yes, do you think this mistake will significantly slow down the progress of my application?

Should I wait to be contacted by them or phone in again and offer to send the original passports in right away?

Thanks very much for your help and advice!
Yes, I'm afraid you should have made a photocopy of EVERY page of EVERY passport you have had since living in the UK. If you read the guidance notes (which I don't think you have) you would realise that they use the stamps from your passport to determine whether or not you meet the residence requirement.

Obviously if you only supply a photocopy of your bio-details page they cannot determine if you meet the residence requirement. They will usually send you a letter requesting you to send more information if they require it.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

kairos

Notarized Photocopy

Post by kairos » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:53 pm

Thanks Dawie.

Like everyone else here, I want to get this all over and done with as soon as possible. Do you think I should pre-empt their inevitable request and simply phone them myself, or wait to be contacted?

I wish I'd found this site before applying- I would have used a checking centre!