ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Form EU1 or EU3?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Erik84

Form EU1 or EU3?

Post by Erik84 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:02 pm

Hi,

I'm an EU citizen (Sweden) and my wife is non EU. We've been living in Ireland since 2006, and my wife holds an EU FAM Stamp 4 GNIB Card which expires in the beginning August. My wife applied for Irish citizenship based on 5 years residency in June.

I thought the renewal of my wife's EU FAM Stamp 4 would be easy, but I just discovered that it's just as tricky as getting the EU FAM Stamp 4 in the first place.

Im wondering, should my wife use form EU1 or EU3 to renew? If I have understood things correctly EU3 is for permanent residency whereas EU1 would give another 5 years. Since my wife is likely to get Irish citizenship within 5 years (hopefully much less) I guess the length of the residency card doesn't matter. Since the paperwork for EU1 is less onerous maybe we should use this route, but we're not sure.

Also Im a bit worried that we are applying late for the renewal, and that my wife's EU FAM GNIB card will expire before she gets a new one. I have understood that she can get a (EU FAM?) stamp 4 while the renewal application is processed, but is this hassle free and can we be sure that it will be granted?

Any help is much appreciated!

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:40 am

Hi Erik,

So long as you have been residing in Ireland while exercising a treaty right for at least five years, and your wife has been residing with you for this time, then you both have acquired the right of permanent residence in Ireland. Congratulations.

While not mandatory for either of you, you make make an application for a certificate of permanent residence and your wife for a permanent residence card, to receive confirmation of your acquired rights.

Your wife needs to use form EU3.

Personally, I'd recommend that your wife does exercise her right to receive a permanent residence card. It shouldn't, but probably would affect her application for naturalisation if the folks in Tipperary spot any period of, in their opinion, residence without permission.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

Erik84

Post by Erik84 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:09 pm

Ok, thanks Ben. On the 31st of July we should have all* papers ready (EU3 supporting docs for 5 years is a nightmare - the citizenship application felt easier) , and my wife will file the EU3 application. Then on the 8th August her EUFAM Stamp 4 expires, and she'll go to INIS at Burgh Quay to try and get a temporary stamp while her application is processed. Do you think she'll get it?

*Where we are staying currently we have tons of bills in both our names, and a Letter of Registration of Tenancy from the Private Residential Tenancies Board , but actually no rental contract or rent book or letter from the landlord. The landlord is an old couple, and I think they forgot about drawing up a contract. I have asked them for a letter just confirming that my wife and I are renting their apartment, but Im not sure I'll get one. Hope the INIS are not too nitpicky.

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:51 pm

as soon as your application is checked, your original documents will be returned with a letter informing you to go to GNIB for the stamp 4 for 6 months. Chances are that without this letter GNIB won't give you an extention.