ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Father: ILR, Mother: ILR Waiting, Child: Status? Help Please

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

zagoo2000

Father: ILR, Mother: ILR Waiting, Child: Status? Help Please

Post by zagoo2000 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:33 pm

Dear All, Please advise, here is the scenario:

Mother status is currently pending ILR (previously asylum refused) the letter has been received that security check has been cleared and pictures have been requested. Father has an ILR for many years but never applied for passport. She has child a month ago (approx.) as well.

Mother inquiry is:
1. What are the chances of her getting ILR as she has been waiting for almost 10 years?
2. On birth certificate will her child get a passport straightaway or ILR (depending upon the fathers status)?
3. Will her current illegal status create any problem for the child?

Many thanks.

ouflak1

Re: Father: ILR, Mother: ILR Waiting, Child: Status? Help Pl

Post by ouflak1 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:53 am

zagoo2000 wrote:Dear All, Please advise, here is the scenario:

Mother status is currently pending ILR (previously asylum refused) the letter has been received that security check has been cleared and pictures have been requested. Father has an ILR for many years but never applied for passport. She has child a month ago (approx.) as well.

Mother inquiry is:
1. What are the chances of her getting ILR as she has been waiting for almost 10 years?
2. On birth certificate will her child get a passport straightaway or ILR (depending upon the fathers status)?
3. Will her current illegal status create any problem for the child?

Many thanks.
1. Unknown/Home Office discretion.
2. A Birth Certificate has nothing directly to do immigration. It is merely certification/documentation that the event of birth has occurred in the UK. If they are married, the child automatically has UK citizenship because of the father's status (currently ILR). If not, the same is true, but there may be a few hoops to jump through to establish paternity.
3. The child immigration status is the child's alone. And technically, the mother's status my not be 'illegal' if she has a pending application made within the allowed time limits.

Also, though this may be a bit nitpicky, and most people on this forum will understand what you mean, there is a difference between having citizenship and having a passport. Citizenship is the relationship one has with a country granting specific rights and responsibilities. A passport is merely an identification document that usually (depending on the issuing country) also identifies the person as a citizen of that country. It is possible to get citizenship and never have a passport.

zagoo2000

Post by zagoo2000 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:25 pm

ouflak1 wrote:
2. A Birth Certificate has nothing directly to do immigration. It is merely certification/documentation that the event of birth has occurred in the UK. If they are married, the child automatically has UK citizenship because of the father's status (currently ILR). If not, the same is true, but there may be a few hoops to jump through to establish paternity.
3. The child immigration status is the child's alone. And technically, the mother's status my not be 'illegal' if she has a pending application made within the allowed time limits.

Also, though this may be a bit nitpicky, and most people on this forum will understand what you mean, there is a difference between having citizenship and having a passport. Citizenship is the relationship one has with a country granting specific rights and responsibilities. A passport is merely an identification document that usually (depending on the issuing country) also identifies the person as a citizen of that country. It is possible to get citizenship and never have a passport.
Thanks ouflak1 for replying.

for 1. She arrived in UK back in Oct 2001. Applied asylum, refused in 2003. Her lawyer appealed and then re-appealed, approached MP, nothing happened. In 2009/10 (i think) applied for legacy no reply. About 6 months ago asked MP to push the case then finally the letter was received from the Home Office stating, something like this ....'that we have decided to grant you the leave once the security checks are cleared etc... (not exact but similar line)' yesterday the letter was received that the security checks are cleared send 4 passport pictures.

for 2. It does make sense what you have mentioned about Birth Certificate registration as i have looked at the requirements and the form or certificate does not say fathers or mothers legal status etc. However, I came to know that the fathers details can be added later, so her question is:

2a. in case if she does not mention fathers detail on the birth certificate and waits for her status to be cleared. will the child status be illegal (because of mothers)?
2b. once she gets her status resolved, will she be able change the child status too because of hers? and how long would it take?
2c. you stated ....If not, the same is true, but there may be a few hoops to jump through to establish paternity.... does it mean (assuming mother is illegal), apparently her solicitor suggested that, the child will get the passport (not just ILR visa) straightaway then she will be able to apply as a mother of the child and get passport too straight away?

I think, the confusion is getting British Citizenship, having ILR or having British Passport.

Any advise will be highly appreciated.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:10 pm

zagoo2000 wrote:
ouflak1 wrote:

Also, though this may be a bit nit picky, and most people on this forum will understand what you mean, there is a difference between having citizenship and having a passport. Citizenship is the relationship one has with a country granting specific rights and responsibilities. A passport is merely an identification document that usually (depending on the issuing country) also identifies the person as a citizen of that country. It is possible to get citizenship and never have a passport.
Thanks ouflak1 for replying.

for 1. She arrived in UK back in Oct 2001. Applied asylum, refused in 2003. Her lawyer appealed and then re-appealed, approached MP, nothing happened. In 2009/10 (i think) applied for legacy no reply. About 6 months ago asked MP to push the case then finally the letter was received from the Home Office stating, something like this ....'that we have decided to grant you the leave once the security checks are cleared etc... (not exact but similar line)' yesterday the letter was received that the security checks are cleared send 4 passport pictures.

for 2. It does make sense what you have mentioned about Birth Certificate registration as i have looked at the requirements and the form or certificate does not say fathers or mothers legal status etc. However, I came to know that the fathers details can be added later, so her question is:

2a. in case if she does not mention fathers detail on the birth certificate and waits for her status to be cleared. will the child status be illegal (because of mothers)?
2b. once she gets her status resolved, will she be able change the child status too because of hers? and how long would it take?
2c. you stated ....If not, the same is true, but there may be a few hoops to jump through to establish paternity.... does it mean (assuming mother is illegal), apparently her solicitor suggested that, the child will get the passport (not just ILR visa) straightaway then she will be able to apply as a mother of the child and get passport too straight away?
1. From the sounds of it, it seems like she will be granted some kind of leave, either Discretionary Leave or Asylum. From your description, I do believe that her status while her application is pending an appeal is not strictly 'illegal'.

2. A child born in the UK is not required to have any visa or leave to remain. Their immigration status is their own, irrespective of the immigration status of the parents, except with regards to citizenship. Just to be clear, the child's mother status could only affect citizenship (and even that can be trumped by the father's status), NOT Immigration status.

2. a) I'm still not convinced that the mother's status is 'illegal'. The United Kingdom reserves the right to decide whether or not to grant remain to leave. If she had a valid application in process, I believe the UK's own rules state that she may remain while that application is pending a decision. Nevertheless, and to repeat, a child born in the UK has their *own* immigration status, irrespective of the parents, except with regards to citizenship.

2. b & c) First, any child born in the UK to a citizen or a person with ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain/ permanent residence) automatically is a citizen of the United Kingdom by birth. It doesn't matter if one of the parents is 'illegal' or has some other type of immigration status, or is even a non-citizen outside of the country. If that basic condition is met by either parent, the child is a UK citizen. I hope that's clear.

If they are not married, then the parents will have to establish the father's paternity in order to: 1) have the father put on the birth certificate if it has already been issued without his name on it and, 2) establish that the child does automatically acquire citizenship at birth.

If for some reason they are not able to establish that the father with ILR is indeed the biological father, then the potential visa status of the child will be sort of murky (as in I don't know the exact possibilities), though to repeat, the child is not required to have a visa as long as they never physically leave the country. I honestly don't know if someone with Discretionary Leave can sponsor a dependent visa, but I suspect not. A senior member here will have to chime in about the Asylum as I'm not familiar with those rules and I couldn't find anything on the UKBA Asylum page that talked about dependents. Since the child did not enter the country illegally, the child's status WILL NEVER BE ILLEGAL, unless the child physically leaves the country and returns illegally or returns with a limited visa and subsequently overstays or violates the conditions of that visa.
zagoo2000 wrote:I think, the confusion is getting British Citizenship, having ILR or having British Passport.
British Citizenship - Means that you have the right to live, work and study in the United Kingdom without restriction. You also have the right to participate politically at all levels i.e. voting and standing for any eligible office. A citizen also qualifies for any arrangements made on their behalf with other nations regarding visa free travel, abode, work and study, such as is the case with the EU, visa-free visits to the United States, Commonwealth perks, etc, etc.... If in a foreign country, you have the right to all counselor services from a British Embassy.

ILR - Indefinite Leave to Remain is a status given to non-citizens meaning they have established their primary residence and life in the United Kingdom. This means you have the right to live, work, and study in the United Kingdom. This DOES NOT grant any special rights to political participation. And any agreements regarding permanent residents are separate from those of citizens (so a permanent resident of the UK for example, is NOT a permanent resident of the EU, but may, because of special agreement, visit Switzerland without a visa no matter their base nationality). You only have the right to counselor services from an embassy of your own country of nationality.

Passport - A passport is a document for identity. It usually identifies an individual as being a citizen or national of a particular country. It does not confer any special rights of any kind. It is merely a document for identification purposes. It is entirely possible that a person may be a citizen of a country and never have a passport of that country. Normally people apply for a passport if they are going to travel outside of their country, otherwise there is no real need for this document that I can think of.
Last edited by ouflak1 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zagoo2000

Post by zagoo2000 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:44 pm

I have to say, ouflak1 Thank you so much for taking your precious time out and clearing out all of my points in easily understandable yet professional manner. I have got no words to express my gratitude.

To clear my point '1' i have managed to get hold of the exact letters which were sent out to her. I will write outlines for your consideration:
-May 2008, Legacy application made

-Apr 2011, UKBA decision
'...The CRD was established to deal with older unresolved asylum applications, such as yours, with the aim to resolving cases by either removing individuals from the UK or granting them leave to remain in accordance with the existing law and policy. I'm writing to inform you that your case has now been fully reviewed by CRD and the outcome is that you have no basis to stay in the UK. You should make arangements to leave the UK without delay...etc...'

-Apr 2011, Solicitor replied to reconsider
'...We feel it prudent to add an explanatory note to assist the secretary of state when considering this request for reconsideration of the decision to refuse our client's application for indefinite leave to remain under the legacy scheme... etc...'

-Jan 2012, UKBA
'...I'm writing to provide an update on your case, which is being dealt with by the case assurance and audit unit. We have now reviewed your case and subject to final security checks our decision is to grant you leave in line with current immigration rules...etc...'

-July 2012, UKBA
'...Please be advised that your client's security checks were indeed concluded. However, no further progress can be made on her case as we are lacking photographs....etc..'

-July 2012, she sent her pictures...

as you said... 'she will be granted some kind of leave, either Discretionary Leave or Asylum. ' .. What to you think after looking at the above statements. Do you think they will grant discretionary (i.e. outside immigration rules)? or Asylum which was long refused? or Is it definite indefinite leave to remain under the legacy scheme?

Many thanks.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:25 pm

zagoo2000 wrote:Thanks!
:) My pleasure.
zagoo2000 wrote: as you said... 'she will be granted some kind of leave, either Discretionary Leave or Asylum. ' .. What to you think after looking at the above statements. Do you think they will grant discretionary (i.e. outside immigration rules)? or Asylum which was long refused? or Is it definite indefinite leave to remain under the legacy scheme?

Many thanks.
A member here with more familiarity with the Legacy cases will have to answer that. From what I've read, a grant of Indefinite Leave to Remain exceptionally 'outside the Immigration Rules' does seem to be the most likely outcome, although I don't actually know how that has worked out in reality.

zagoo2000

Post by zagoo2000 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:54 am

ouflak1 wrote: :) My pleasure.

Thanks ouflak1 for showing your sincere interest, kind support and valuable time. I believe she is 50/50 at the moment. She is willing to take the risk not to put husbands name on the birth certificate (i guess that can be added on later stages) and then wait for her leave (not sure ILR, DLR or HP) to be granted.

Or, she will add his details on the birth certificate to secure at least the child nationality/citizenship. Then it will be her choice whether to wait for her visa to be granted or seek herself support on the basis of child's status.

I am not sure but I hope this is going to be the right move for her continuous legal residence.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:07 pm

For what reason is she reluctant to put the fathers name on the birth certificate? Are they legally married?