ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship loop-hole after new ILR regulations

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Citizenship loop-hole after new ILR regulations

Post by RobinLondon » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:28 pm

Just as a curiosity, it used to be that a person married to a UK citizen could apply for citizenship overseas provided that s/he met the residence requirement of three years without significant absences, passed the Life in the UK test and had only recently left the UK. The citizenship applicant did not technically have to possess ILR at the time.

With the changes to ILR being implemented in April, particularly noting that ILE is no longer going to be issued to long-married spouses of UK citizens moving the UK, is this naturalisation loop-hole likewise going to be closed? Or perhaps it already has been...

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:57 pm

I don't think so, Rob - it seems to me that it would take a change in primary legislation to achieve it.

The new requirements for ILR are explicitly for ILR and, as you know, ILR is only one of the ways in which IND consider that a person can meet the requirement "that on the date of the application he was not subject under the immigration laws to any restriction on the period for which he might remain in the United Kingdom..." as the 1981 Act requires.
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

tvt

Post by tvt » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:09 pm

I don't understand the operation of the loophole - how can anyone naturalise overseas without being resident in the UK for at least three years (for a UK citizen spouse)?
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:22 pm

tvt wrote:I don't understand the operation of the loophole - how can anyone naturalise overseas without being resident in the UK for at least three years (for a UK citizen spouse)?
You still have to be resident for 3 years but the "loophole" allows someone to avoid the need to have ILR on the date of application.

It suits people who have come to the UK in another capacity and then married a British citizen (or spouse has become a British citizen meanwhile).

tvt

Post by tvt » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:25 pm

This is not a loophole it is an established and legitimate way to naturalise.
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:30 pm

tvt wrote:This is not a loophole it is an established and legitimate way to naturalise.
I didn't suggest anything otherwise. Perhaps your definition of "loophole" is different to mine.

tvt

Post by tvt » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:07 pm

In my view "loophole" means illegitimately (though not illegally) exploiting a fault in the law to achieve a favourable legal treatment in a manner not intended by the legislator.
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:12 pm

tvt wrote:In my view "loophole" means illegitimately (though not illegally) exploiting a fault in the law to achieve a favourable legal treatment in a manner not intended by the legislator.
Well I don't see how something like this could originally have been intended by the legislators, other than for those in Crown Service (or their spouses).

At the time it was enacted, spouses of British citizens obtained immediate ILR so the question was much less likely to arise.

However I don't see anything "illegitimate" in taking advantage of it. It's the law of the land until Parliament decides otherwise.

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:28 pm

Ah, the joy of semantics!

What I meant by "loophole" is the fact that one of the normal requirements of naturalisation is that the applicant be free of immigration control either on the day of application (if married to a UK citizen) or otherwise for a year. With what I've been describing, the applicant can skirt around the "free from immigration control" requirement simply by lodging the application overseas. Given, of course, that s/he is married to a Brit. And passed the other residency/exam/affable chap requirements as well!

Perhaps this is more of a "skirting" than a "looping". In any case, I do appreciate your replies. Thanks.

gamma911

Post by gamma911 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:19 am

Can someone explain to me how this would work?

Currently I am on a Workpermit of 3yrs and will be moving to a CP visa as soon as possible.

Would I be able to utilise this loophole and not have to be on the CP visa for a full 2 years before I can apply for ILR