ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Graduate developer (Tier 2)

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

fembiz
BANNED

Graduate developer (Tier 2)

Post by fembiz » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:34 am

Hi guys

I graduated in December 2010 with a degree in computing and got a job working as an SEO executive which is a marketing role. While I was in this job, I was looking for IT related jobs as my course in uni was computing. I finally got a job as a software developer in February 2012. I started work for my new company on February 20, 2012 as a developer. This is my first job as a software developer even though I graduated in 2010. My salary is 24,000 and I am planning on making my Tier 2 application next week. Can I apply as a graduate developer? I have less than 6 months experience of commercial programming however, from what I've been reading, it seems to be considered a graduate developer, you must have graduated less than 6 months ago. I'm confused by all this. I am worried that the UKBA will not consider me to be a graduate developer because I graduated in 2010. But the fact is this is my first developer job and I have been working in it for less than 6 months. Could someone please give me some advice? I would greatly appreciate any advice you could give me.

Thanks

fembiz
BANNED

Graduete developer (Tier 2)

Post by fembiz » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:08 pm

So there's really no one that has any information on this?

manci
Respected Guru

Re: Graduate developer (Tier 2)

Post by manci » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:07 am

fembiz wrote:. Can I apply as a graduate developer? I have less than 6 months experience of commercial programming however, from what I've been reading, it seems to be considered a graduate developer, you must have graduated less than 6 months ago. I'm confused by all this. I am worried that the UKBA will not consider me to be a graduate developer because I graduated in 2010. But the fact is this is my first developer job and I have been working in it for less than 6 months.
This is what is in the codes of practice:
Graduate developer
This job function is used to classify all programmers and
developers who essentially have less than six months
commercial experience of programming. This includes new
graduates in IT or related technology degrees.
£22,300

What is the basis for you saying that somebody in this category must have graduated less than 6 months ago? It doesn't say so in the quote above.

fembiz
BANNED

Post by fembiz » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:12 am

Thanks a lot for your reply. Well I was reading some previous threads on this site and that's what some people were saying so it had me confused that's why I wanted some clarification. So since I have only been working as a developer for 5 months, I can apply as a graduate developer am I correct? I was just worried that since I graduated in 2010 the case worker could incorrectly assume that I've been working as a developer since I graduated, i.e. 2 years.

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:20 am

It was your employer's responsibility (not yours) to determine the SOC code when they assigned the CoS to you. If they put SOC code 2132 Graduate Developer in the CoS they must have known what that means as per the quote above.

fembiz
BANNED

Post by fembiz » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:30 am

Yes, my employer knows that. And that's why they chose to assign that SOC code to me. They even increased my salary because when I was offered the job, my salary was 22,500 but as that was lower than the amount stated in the codes of practice, they increased it to 24,000. Like I said, I was just weary that the case worker could incorrectly make an assumption based on when I graduated.