ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English test for Spouse Visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nionlight
Member of Standing

English test for Spouse Visa

Post by nionlight » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:22 pm

Hello friends,

My wife is currently under Tier-1 general visa. I am planning to apply for ILR soon. So her visa needs to be changed to spouse visa afterwards.

I know that there is an English test requirement. So far I found that trinity college's Graded Examinations in Spoken English (GESE) Grade 2 is the easiest. Can you please confirm if it should be OK for the spouse visa to take this exam. Here is their site. http://englishexamcentres.co.uk/trinity ... s-1-3.html

Many thanks.

rubina20102010
Member of Standing

Re: English test for Spouse Visa

Post by rubina20102010 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:54 pm

nionlight wrote:Hello friends,

My wife is currently under Tier-1 general visa. I am planning to apply for ILR soon. So her visa needs to be changed to spouse visa afterwards.

I know that there is an English test requirement. So far I found that trinity college's Graded Examinations in Spoken English (GESE) Grade 2 is the easiest. Can you please confirm if it should be OK for the spouse visa to take this exam. Here is their site. http://englishexamcentres.co.uk/trinity ... s-1-3.html

Many thanks.
YES - It is very simple to pass . Last week my husband has passed this in 4 minutes.

nionlight
Member of Standing

Re: English test for Spouse Visa

Post by nionlight » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:14 pm

rubina20102010 wrote:
nionlight wrote:Hello friends,

Many thanks.
YES - It is very simple to pass . Last week my husband has passed this in 4 minutes.
Thank you Rubina.

Is there any practice questions or website etc? My wife just got here from back home. so she may not be as fluent as your hubby. But please let me know your hubby did any practise or if there is any site that can be helpful etc. many thanks for help.

angelloveguy

Post by angelloveguy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:31 pm

very cheap only £80 fees. very very easy questions. no need to worry.

questions like what is your name and where u live etc etc.

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:29 pm

is there any centre near sheffield?

angelloveguy

Post by angelloveguy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:34 pm

they have three centres. Manchaster, London and Birmingham

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:30 am

angelloveguy wrote:they have three centres. Manchaster, London and Birmingham
thanks, I am booking my wife to take test in Manchester. its 80 pounds. i have seen sample on their website and it is fairly simple.

how quickly do they give you pass certificate?

Rajuk09
Member of Standing

Post by Rajuk09 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:05 am

innocentdevil wrote:
thanks, I am booking my wife to take test in Manchester. its 80 pounds. i have seen sample on their website and it is fairly simple.

Sorry may be a dumb question, I am on a T1 G and my wife T1 G dependant visa, Planning to apply using Set(O) form , Do any of us need to take English language test ? for ILR application ?

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:06 am

Both of you.

Rajuk09
Member of Standing

Post by Rajuk09 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:22 am

Lucapooka wrote:Both of you.
Are you sure mate ? , Because I could not see in any check list of the people who applied From Teir 1 General + Tier 1 General Dependant(wife living more than 2 years in UK) who is going for ILR doing English test ? Please confirm ..

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:21 pm

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas- ... ettlement/

Most applicants for settlement must show that they have a knowledge of language and life in the UK.

tier1Reading

Post by tier1Reading » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:30 pm

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... uage-life/

How do I demonstrate my knowledge of language and life in the UK?

If you are not exempt from the KOL requirement, you must demonstrate a good knowledge of language and life in the UK before you apply for settlement. Most applicants will need to do this by:

passing the 'Life in the UK' test, if they speak English to a reasonable standard, or if they are currently in the UK as skilled or highly skilled migrants; or
taking and passing a course in English and citizenship, if they do not speak English.
LIUK is enough for Skilled migrants currently in UK.
For others, English and citizenship course passing is necessary.

tier1Reading

Post by tier1Reading » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:38 pm

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... nstrating/

There are 2 ways to demonstrate your knowledge of language and life (KOL) in the UK.

If you are an English speaker (see below) and/or you are currently in the UK as a skilled or highly skilled migrant, you must pass the 'Life in the UK test'.
If you are not an English speaker and you are not a skilled or highly skilled migrant, you must pass a course in English for speakers of other languages (ESOL) which contains citizenship materials.

rubina20102010
Member of Standing

Post by rubina20102010 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:50 pm

innocentdevil wrote:

After 5 mins (Same day) .Certificate will post to your address in 5 working days.....

rubina20102010
Member of Standing

Post by rubina20102010 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:51 pm

innocentdevil wrote:

After 5 mins (Same day) .Certificate will post to your address in 5 working days.....

Rajuk09
Member of Standing

Post by Rajuk09 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:07 pm

Lucapooka wrote:http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas- ... ettlement/

Most applicants for settlement must show that they have a knowledge of language and life in the UK.
I hope you mean to say 'Life in the UK' test only AND NOT ENGLISH Language test seperately ?

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:13 pm

I mean to say exactly what I have said. The KOL test is a combination of English language and knowledge about life in the UK.

There are 2 ways to demonstrate your knowledge of language and life (KOL) in the UK.

If you are an English speaker (see below) and/or you are currently in the UK as a skilled or highly skilled migrant, you must pass the 'Life in the UK test'.
If you are not an English speaker and you are not a skilled or highly skilled migrant, you must pass a course in English for speakers of other languages (ESOL) which contains citizenship materials.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... nstrating/

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:50 pm

Rajuk09 wrote:Sorry may be a dumb question, I am on a T1 G and my wife T1 G dependant visa, Planning to apply using Set(O) form , Do any of us need to take English language test ? for ILR application ?
As a Tier 1 General Migrant the way to demonstrate your knowledge of language and life (KOL) in the UK would be the first option from the two provided. I.e.

Note that I'm not personally aware of the requirements for dependents, so you may want to verify this seperately.

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:07 pm

rubina20102010 wrote:
innocentdevil wrote:

thanks

Rajuk09
Member of Standing

Post by Rajuk09 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:13 pm

cs95tdg wrote:
Rajuk09 wrote:Sorry may be a dumb question, I am on a T1 G and my wife T1 G dependant visa, Planning to apply using Set(O) form , Do any of us need to take English language test ? for ILR application ?
As a Tier 1 General Migrant the way to demonstrate your knowledge of language and life (KOL) in the UK would be the first option from the two provided. I.e.

Note that I'm not personally aware of the requirements for dependents, so you may want to verify this seperately.
Thank you , So a question still remains , Do my Wife needs to take ESOL ? She is dependant to me and we both are going to take Life in UK test.Question asked is because although she is a English speaker, she is a dependant to highly skilled migrant, hope LIUK test is sufficient for her ?

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:02 pm

Rajuk09 wrote:Thank you , So a question still remains , Do my Wife needs to take ESOL ? She is dependant to me and we both are going to take Life in UK test.Question asked is because although she is a English speaker, she is a dependant to highly skilled migrant, hope LIUK test is sufficient for her ?
What does the guidance state? The information I provided was straight off the ukba website, so the same should be available there for dependents.

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:31 pm

Rajuk09 wrote:
Thank you , So a question still remains , Do my Wife needs to take ESOL ?
No, because
Rajuk09 wrote:...we both are going to take Life in UK test.
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

nionlight
Member of Standing

Post by nionlight » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:34 pm

rubina20102010 wrote:
innocentdevil wrote:

Hi Rubina,

Can you please advise what information is shown in the certificate. I am wondering if the address is shown or not. Can I use a different address for certificate delivery? Thanks