ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA 2 application - need passports back

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

orionite
Newly Registered

EEA 2 application - need passports back

Post by orionite » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:54 pm

Hi,

My wife is American, I am German. We have entered the country in March with my wife having been issued a 6 month visa. (This took less than a week in the USA!). Now we have applied for an EEA2 for her on July 2nd.
I have not received a comfirmation of acceptance or any other communication from the UKBA since then.
I had included a letter stating that my wife and I will be travelling to the US at the end of August and will need our passports back. I also sent an email earlier this week as per the direction on the UKBA website. Again: No meaningful reply.
Having scoured the internet, I am becoming extremely concerned that not only might we not be able to fly home (to the US, and miss my wife's mum's 60th and a couple of family weddings) but that I might be stuck in England for the foreseeable future.
Is there anything that can be done? I would even consider cancelling the EEA2 application and move to Germany, since my job would allow it, even though it would be much less convenient.

How do I get our passports back?
Thanks
Marc

Nz made
Newly Registered

Post by Nz made » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:07 pm

you will need to call them to action a return of passports, usually takes 5-10 days to return, but generally they will not return passports until after the COA is issued

The COA takes 4-6 weeks usually

So planning travel so soon after application is not advised, but if you are lucky you will have passports back in time

orionite
Newly Registered

Post by orionite » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:16 pm

Nz made wrote:you will need to call them to action a return of passports, usually takes 5-10 days to return, but generally they will not return passports until after the COA is issued

The COA takes 4-6 weeks usually

So planning travel so soon after application is not advised, but if you are lucky you will have passports back in time
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, the travel date and the earliest date we could apply for the visa were not entirely up to us, since I also have to travel for work.

I didn't think that 8 weeks between application and getting passports back would be considered "so soon". Especially since the passports aren't altered in any way. Surely, once the authenticity is established they are not needed anymore.

When we first applied for the visa in the US, we were told that we would need to "extend it" once in the UK and it was alleged that it would be a mere formality. So, after going into this with the expectation that all it would take is a trip to a London office and getting a stamp, I now find myself in visa hell. Really annoying, especially as our stay here is limited to only 2 years, which is documented in the application.

Sorry, I know this is part rant. But it is a frustrating time for my wife and me.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:21 pm

Follow your email by a phone call to make sure the request is actioned. The HO is not very good in confirming by email that the request has been received so it is best to check the status over the phone.

You can ask for the passports back any time you wish (even before receiving the CoA although in such case the HO might return the whole application not just the passports).

Remember - rights under EEA regulations are obtained automatically. Your wife doesn't need permission from the HO. She just applies for a confirmation of her status and this application is optional.

Even if the EEA Family Permit would expire before you return, there is no need to apply for a new one. See recent experience - I re-entered with expired Family Permit (non-VISA national).

tall_elegant
Newly Registered

Post by tall_elegant » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:25 am

orionite Did you receive your passport back in time? I am in a similar situation, but budgeted less time (4 weeks)... also have a family wedding to attend. Curious to know how long it finally took you?

orionite
Newly Registered

Nothing

Post by orionite » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:36 pm

tall_elegant wrote:orionite Did you receive your passport back in time? I am in a similar situation, but budgeted less time (4 weeks)... also have a family wedding to attend. Curious to know how long it finally took you?
I have not received our passports back, nor a reply to the email. We've tried calling the UKBA and got a message to call if it's 10 days before departure. Needless to say, I don't trust them to be responsive if we do in fact cut it so close, after having received not even a confirmation letter that the application was received. My wife is on hold as we speak... has been for a while.

She also contacted the US embassy and there is a whole lot of stuff you need to do to get a 2nd passport + $135 if you need to travel within 36 hours.

I haven't tried the German embassy here, yet, but I'd be surprised if it was any different.

orionite
Newly Registered

Re: Nothing

Post by orionite » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:01 pm

My wife got through and they will send her passport within 5 days. Unfortunately, even though I had sent the application including a document with my personal request to send the passports back and I had sent an email a week ago asking for the same, she could not get my passport back.

So, I had to get on the phone (I'm travelling) and be on hold for another 20 minutes. It worked, but how incredibly frustrating and inefficient.

So bottom line: Call them! No other form of communication seems to have any impact...[/b]

orionite
Newly Registered

Nothing.

Post by orionite » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:47 am

As per the advice here, we had called on Aug 3rd and were told it would take 5 days.

We called again yesterday (10days later). The agent, Ms Meyers, told us, it looked like they hadn't been sent, and we could put in another request, which again would take 5 days.

My wife called again this morning and was told, my wife can file a complaint if she wants and that she (the agent) had said all she can and hung up. That's not just incompetent, but rude. I am letting my wife talk to them as I wouldn't be able to keep my temper in check. She is much calmer.

So far we have submitted 6 requests:
- in writing with the application (included stamped return envelope)
- by email, twice (2 weeks ago and yesterday)
- by phone, 3 times
- by fax, including proof of travel

I am at the end of my tether and outraged by the inefficiency. How hard can it f#$@&ing be to make a copy of the passports, put them in the envelope provided and stick in the outgoing mailbox?!

I have filed a formal complaint, not expecting to hear anything back from them, either.

My advice for anyone in a similar situation: DO NOT APPLY FOR AN EEA2 RESIDENCY CARD, if you are or are married to a non-UK, EU national. Go to your respective EU home country and sort it out there. The UKBA is not your friend.

Oh, and by the way: We have not received a certificate of application.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Nothing.

Post by Jambo » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:45 pm

orionite wrote:My advice for anyone in a similar situation: DO NOT APPLY FOR AN EEA2 RESIDENCY CARD, if you are or are married to a non-UK, EU national. Go to your respective EU home country and sort it out there. The UKBA is not your friend.
Not sure I follow. A UK 5 years Residence Card can only be applied from within the UK. How would going to your EU home country help?

Nimitta
Member of Standing

Post by Nimitta » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:37 pm

We had to wait 5 weeks to get my husband's passport back (we had to call the HO and complain).

Although I understand how irritating it could be, I do think that a worker who answers the phone deserves to be treated in a polite and respectful manner. The main reason is that a worker who is on the phone listening to your complaints is NOT the same one who messed up by not sending your (or mine) passport back on time. Most probably all he or she is doing at the office is cleaning the mess after someone else. Treating him or her with anything other than respect would be at the very least unfair.

orionite
Newly Registered

Post by orionite » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:13 pm

Jambo, you're probably right. The notion of getting a residency permit in Germany which has any validity in the UK, is most likely silly of me.

Nimitta, to be clear, if my rant suggested that either myself or my wife had ever raised our voice, insulted or treated the agents with anything but politeness, then this is incorrect.

However, I have shouted obscenities offline up, because telling my wife to "file a complaint" and hang up on her, is not the way I want her (or anyone) to be treated. So, I would deflect your comment to the agent herself, who clearly doesn't care that we are about to miss important family events, will have to pay quite a bit of money to change or re-purchase our plane tickets and are generally distraught about not being able to visit either of our families.

If the agent is the only person I have any degree of access to, then I'm sorry, it is her job to listen to my issue and get it sorted out. Why else would you have a call center? If you merely want to tell people to sod off, then that can be handled by a pre-recorded message. I still don't get what the problem is in opening my application, verifying that the passports are genuine, making a copy and sending them back. This should be standard procedure for EVERY application that doesn't involve physically altering the passport in question, e.g. by stamping a visa. I can't believe it is even legal to withhold a person's passport for this amount of time.

What number did you call to get in touch with the home office? I have filed a complaint with them, but the automated response says, they'll get back within 20 days, which is of no use to me.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:27 pm

orionite wrote:Jambo, you're probably right. The notion of getting a residency permit in Germany which has any validity in the UK, is most likely silly of me.

Nimitta, to be clear, if my rant suggested that either myself or my wife had ever raised our voice, insulted or treated the agents with anything but politeness, then this is incorrect.

However, I have shouted obscenities offline up, because telling my wife to "file a complaint" and hang up on her, is not the way I want her (or anyone) to be treated. So, I would deflect your comment to the agent herself, who clearly doesn't care that we are about to miss important family events, will have to pay quite a bit of money to change or re-purchase our plane tickets and are generally distraught about not being able to visit either of our families.

If the agent is the only person I have any degree of access to, then I'm sorry, it is her job to listen to my issue and get it sorted out. Why else would you have a call center? If you merely want to tell people to sod off, then that can be handled by a pre-recorded message. I still don't get what the problem is in opening my application, verifying that the passports are genuine, making a copy and sending them back. This should be standard procedure for EVERY application that doesn't involve physically altering the passport in question, e.g. by stamping a visa. I can't believe it is even legal to withhold a person's passport for this amount of time.

What number did you call to get in touch with the home office? I have filed a complaint with them, but the automated response says, they'll get back within 20 days, which is of no use to me.
You are entitled to feel aggrieved. Hope you get your passports back soon and your COA.

Nimitta
Member of Standing

Post by Nimitta » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:47 am

I do not understand why it takes so long either.
orionite wrote:What number did you call to get in touch with the home office? I have filed a complaint with them, but the automated response says, they'll get back within 20 days, which is of no use to me.
The number was +44 8450 105 200 but it might take a while to get to the operator. I spent about 20 minutes holding on the phone.

orionite
Newly Registered

Kafka-esque

Post by orionite » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:35 pm

Nimitta wrote:The number was +44 8450 105 200 but it might take a while to get to the operator. I spent about 20 minutes holding on the phone.
Thanks, maybe I'll try that! My wife and I have been contacting our respective embassies and they have offered to provide us with temporary passports. However, they need a letter from the UKBA, stating that they are in fact holding our passports.

Thus, my wife called the UKBA once again. Agent: "I have no way of knowing if a letter (presumably the COA) has been sent nor do I have the ability to request such a letter."

So, we are back to square one.

Nimitta
Member of Standing

Re: Kafka-esque

Post by Nimitta » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:39 pm

orionite wrote:So, we are back to square one.
We called on 3 August and received the passport on 9 August, 6 days later. If it won't be too late, I would certainly suggest calling.

orionite
Newly Registered

Post by orionite » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:54 pm

Thanks Nimitta, but I just realized your number is the same we've been calling (on August 3rd, as well, ironically) without any positive response. It is the general enquiry number of the UKBA.

Nimitta
Member of Standing

Post by Nimitta » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:08 pm

orionite wrote:Thanks Nimitta, but I just realized your number is the same we've been calling (on August 3rd, as well, ironically) without any positive response. It is the general enquiry number of the UKBA.
How strange. I told the operator that we had requested my husband's passport back, and it had been one month since that time. She said that she did not know where the passport was since she did not work with our case but she would file the request on our behalf.

You did talk to an operator, right? Maybe you should try it again. If you have time, you could contact your MP. We did.

orionite
Newly Registered

Post by orionite » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:17 pm

Nimitta wrote:You did talk to an operator, right? Maybe you should try it again. If you have time, you could contact your MP. We did.
Yes, we did and they told us that a request had been put in to return our passports within 5 working days. That was on August 3rd. On August 13th we called again, not having received anything. The statement was that while the agent could see that 2 (!) requests had already been made, it did not seem like the passports had been mailed. She could put in another (No. 3) request, but of course, that would again take up to 5 business days... Not sure why I would take reassurance from that, seeing how the first 5 days have passed without so much as a peep from them.

So far we have spoken to them 4 times and each time, we were given the same answer: The requests are in, but we may or may not send your passports back.

sc2012uk

Post by sc2012uk » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:30 pm

is there a posibility to pick the passports up in person at Liverpool?

orionite
Newly Registered

Post by orionite » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:21 am

sc2012uk wrote:is there a posibility to pick the passports up in person at Liverpool?
I thought about that too. However, if it's like any other government agency, you don't get through the front door without an appointment. We only have 7 days until my wife is due to fly.
At this point, I think out best bet is to convince the US embassy to give her a temp passport, despite not having a letter from the UKBA, regarding the withholding of our travel documents

sc2012uk

Post by sc2012uk » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:46 pm

ok that makes sense

haha i'm worried now...they told us to wait 5 working days to get my wife's passport back as well.

(they "made the request" when we called too......we also sent a special delivery letter asking her passport back, but they said it may take weeks before caseworkers read that letter.
so according to the officer, asking documents back by phone was the best way for "urgent" cases)

Nimitta
Member of Standing

Post by Nimitta » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:22 pm

How did it go? Are you still waiting for the passport?

sc2012uk

Post by sc2012uk » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:05 am

ukba sent us a letter yesterday but we were not home....tried to pick it up today at delivery office but royalmail guy said it wasnt there (though it should be: 24 hours after offer at our house... we tried after 28 hours)

royalmail delivery office then told us to try again tomorrow...weird....hope it's not "missing" :(

update: we have our passport now....delivery was just slow
Last edited by sc2012uk on Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GMB
United States of America

Post by GMB » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:31 pm

I have no explanation for my apparent luck on this, but I sent my EEA2 application on 11 June, which UKBA signed for on 12 June, sent an email to the European Division passport return request email address on 13 June, and had both our passports and COA in-hand by 19 June.

My one email was followed in a few hours by a response saying "please provide us the Royal Mail tracking number," then an email 5 minutes later saying "oops, we see you already did." Nothing further till the passports arrived.

I'm never this lucky, so I expect somehow I'll manage to be deported soon.

orionite
Newly Registered

No joy

Post by orionite » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:52 am

So, we did get our passports back a day after my last post, which was just under a week before my wife was due to fly home. We did not get a COA.

Today I received all our documents back stating that they "will not be giving any further consideration to your case". This was the first communication we ever received.

It seems I neglected to include necessary documentation:
- Valid passport for myself and my wife (... err, yeah, because the whole ordeal you put me through to get them back was just a figment of my imagination)
- Proof of my employment (I had included a signed contract). They want an original letter plus payslips. Would be helpful if that was clearly specified. In the form it says, contract/letter of employment/payslips.
- Proof of residency (I failed on that part, but had given a UK return address)

Needless to say, I am NOT doing this again. I have spoken to my employer and we may relocate back home, as there are all sorts of other issues in dealing with the good people here in the UK. There is for example my landlord, who is refusing to fix my flat for 8 months now, even though the issues existed before our relocation and I was promised they would be repaired before the move in date. And it's not small stuff!.

I've had it. The discourteous and outright dishonest way people are conducting themselves towards my wife and myself may not be representative of the general populace, but frankly, if it's all you get, then who cares that there are nice and helpful people elsewhere in the country?

Good luck to all of you trying the get anywhere with the UKB(S)A.