ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 and travel

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

aprilclub

MN1 and travel

Post by aprilclub » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:10 pm

It suddenly occured to me that (possibly) I am in a slightly unusual situation

Me and my daughter have applied for BC in April ( my daughter is 12 and applied as MN1) and now we are in India for our holidays. We are getting back on 7th Sep.

We hope to get the approval while we are away. Its not a problem for me, I will do the ceremony once I am back; and till then I am Indian citizen with valid ILR.

But when the registration certificate arrives for my daughter, she becomes UK citizen. If this happens when we are in India; will it cause a problem for her to enter UK ( I am not worried about the Indian end - if they charge a penalty; so be it). But will the UKBA be aware that she has become a UK citizen (even though she has not applied for a passport); and will that be a problem to enter back into UK?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:37 pm

Assuming she has the correct visa/ILR, this is not an issue. There is no requirement for British citizens to enter using British passport.

aprilclub

Post by aprilclub » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:07 pm

Thanks Jambo. She does have her ILR, as do I.

(As an aside, and simply to satisfy my idle curiosity here is another question. So, when she gets her UK citizenship, her Indian passport technically lapses immediately. So technically she is travelling on invalid passport. Now while UK govt will not be bothered by this, they surely will be aware that the passport is invalid. Do they not care about that. Or do they simply overlook it)

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:38 am

aprilclub wrote:Now while UK govt will not be bothered by this, they surely will be aware that the passport is invalid. Do they not care about that. Or do they simply overlook it)
I would not say they are surely aware that the Indian passport is invalid. They might not be familiar with all the rules of other governments. For them, you travel on a genuine passport. They don't know if you stopped being a citizen of that country or not.

aprilclub

Post by aprilclub » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:26 am

Jambo wrote:
aprilclub wrote:Now while UK govt will not be bothered by this, they surely will be aware that the passport is invalid. Do they not care about that. Or do they simply overlook it)
I would not say they are surely aware that the Indian passport is invalid. They might not be familiar with all the rules of other governments. For them, you travel on a genuine passport. They don't know if you stopped being a citizen of that country or not.
Thanks Jambo. I can see you line of reasoning.

Another point : does her ILR remain valid even after my daughter has become a UK citizen? If so, when does the ILR actually expire? Is it when she gets the UK passport?
I would have thought that the ILR would expire as soon as she becomes a citizen. But I could be wrong.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:04 pm

A passport is just a travel document. It should not affect any immigration status.

I don't see any reason the ILR will become invalid although it becomes irrelevant once you are BC. It's like having a Toyota and then buying a Ferrari. I don't see a reason to drive the Toyota again.

aprilclub

Post by aprilclub » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:40 pm

Thanks Jambo.