ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MOVEMENT RIGHTS OF FAMILY MEMBERS OF EU NATIONALS

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

spidexx
Newly Registered

MOVEMENT RIGHTS OF FAMILY MEMBERS OF EU NATIONALS

Post by spidexx » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:02 pm

Hello House, I salute you all.

I was just reading about the movement rights of EU nationals and their Non-EU family mmebers, and i came accross this - "In order to benefit from the Regulations it was a requirement that the family member must be arriving from another EU state where he or she was legally resident. In 2008 following a decision by the European Court of Justice this requirement was removed by the European Communities (Free Movement of Persons) (Amendment) Regulations 2008 (pdf) ".

Does this mean that say for example: A British national who was married to an illegal immigrant in the UK moved to Ireland to exercise treaty rights , his/her illegally UK resident spouse can apply to the Irish embassy in UK to join the UK National in Ireland ? Or does the spouse have to travel to their home country to apply to the Irish Embassy .
Will the application to the Irish Embassy in UK be counted as valid , even though the Non-EU family member who is making the application is illegally resident in the UK ?

I do hope someone will be kind enough to clarify this for me .

Jersey

Post by Jersey » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:08 pm

Does this mean that say for example: A British national who was married to an illegal immigrant in the UK moved to Ireland to exercise treaty rights , his/her illegally UK resident spouse can apply to the Irish embassy in UK to join the UK National in Ireland ? Or does the spouse have to travel to their home country to apply to the Irish Embassy .
Will the application to the Irish Embassy in UK be counted as valid , even though the Non-EU family member who is making the application is illegally resident in the UK ?
British national do not fall under EEA regulations but under immigration law.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:44 pm

Jersey wrote:
British national do not fall under EEA regulations but under immigration law.
While your sentence is generally correct, I don't think it answers the OPs question.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:45 pm

A British national can move to Ireland with their non-EU spouse.

spidexx
Newly Registered

Post by spidexx » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:40 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:A British national can move to Ireland with their non-EU spouse.
Thank you EUsmileWEallsmile.

But can the non-EU husband apply to Irish embassy in UK to travel to join his british spouse in Ireland despite his lack of extant leave? Or does he have to travel home first ?
Your help is much appreciated.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:57 pm

The non-EU family member does not have to have prior legal residence in a European member state.

So they should be able to apply from their home country.

I am not sure if there is any explicit statement in the ruling that they can apply from anywhere, e.g. somewhere they are presently illegally resident. Anyone have any case law in this area?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:21 am

spidexx wrote:
EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:A British national can move to Ireland with their non-EU spouse.
Thank you EUsmileWEallsmile.

But can the non-EU husband apply to Irish embassy in UK to travel to join his british spouse in Ireland despite his lack of extant leave? Or does he have to travel home first ?
Your help is much appreciated.
He should be able to apply at the Irish embassy. He should ask the embassy to deal with his application.