ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ilr - new letter format?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mailquery
Newly Registered

ilr - new letter format?

Post by mailquery » Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:38 am

got my ilr last week, along with the new shiny seal with photo :) looks nice.

on the letter that comes along with it - some of my friends who got their ilrs a few years back had a lenghty letter which stated that they could now access public funds and such.

no such mention on my letters..

after ilr are we eligible to access public funds - if we want to?

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:59 pm

IF YOU HAVE NO Access a NO RECOURSE to public funds will be clearly stated in the visa stamp and in the letter detailing your residency status from the home office.

The fact the benefit system is running short of money, the govt no more wants to advertise the benefits that are available to its people. This will only lead to the misuse of the benefit system ( especially it is a proven fact that immigrants make more misuse of the benefit system than anyone else ).
This has lead to more money spent on targetting benefit frauds than payments with some benefit agencies in the country !

So if you think you are entitled to claim benefit, it is your resposibilty to show proof and claim it. Govt won't advertise it.
Its like - only crying baby gets milk !
Last edited by vin123 on Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Epiphany
Newly Registered

Post by Epiphany » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:49 am

Vin123,
You're speaking NONSENSE. An ILR Holder is eligible to claim ALL benefits that apply to his/her individual circumstances, unlike an HSMP/WP/Student or any other 'Non-Settled' category (except for Asylum), who have no recourse to Public funds. So nowhere in any letter that you receive from the HO regarding your ILR (Settled) status, would there be any mention of 'NO ACCESS TO PUBLIC FUNDS'. Wake up. :P

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:15 am

Mate Epiphany !

Do you require a magnifying glass to read my post :lol:

Where have I said an ILR holder is not eligible to public funds in my previous post ?. Read once more (in good faith) please

Epiphany
Newly Registered

Post by Epiphany » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:33 am

Vinny Boy,
I just failed to understand the language and relevance of your post. It looked like you've missed the simple question put forward by 'mailquery' and instead chose to run around expressing your opinions on the benefit system. What you say probably makes sense, but it too much room for misinterpretation in the context of a straight-up question. No offence intended. :wink:

vin123
Member of Standing

Re: ilr - new letter format?

Post by vin123 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:24 pm

mailquery wrote: some of my friends who got their ilrs a few years back had a lenghty letter which stated that they could now access public funds and such.
no such mention on my letters..
after ilr are we eligible to access public funds - if we want to?
Yes !!! .
I think I missed to add the following 3 words in beginning of my post, and thats what caused the whole confusion
It was meant to be read :

"IF YOU HAVE" No Access

( I have corrected it so we both chill ;-) )

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:23 am

vin123

You definitely have a point. As an ILR holder you are now intitled to public funds, but it is clear that the government is not advertising it anymore.

Indeed, the ILR application is specifically designed to ensure (as much as possible) that you won't be using public funds. If you don't have employment or sufficient funds, they will deem you high risk for taking public funds and they will not give you ILR. So I agree they are really trying to discourage people from taking it.

mailquery,

It would be great and very helpful for the Forum if you could share with us the complete text (personal details excluded) of the ILR letter. For example, did it include a Home Office Reference Number? Thanks!

Joseph