ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Housing Benefit Question

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

viking12
Newly Registered

Housing Benefit Question

Post by viking12 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:29 am

Hi,

My wife is a British National and I'm currently on Spouse visa. I've been in the country for about 9 years and hope to apply for my indefinite stay and British citizenship in the next few years. We currently rent a flat and thinking of applying for a council house.

I work 40 hours a week full time and my wife works 10 hours a week. Currently we don't claim any sort of benefit.

Are we eligible to obtain a council house and other benefits?
Also, I have heard from other sources that if I were to make any claims i might have problems when I apply for my British Citizenship. Is this true?

Please advise as we are really confused and any help in this matter would be really appreciated.

Thanks again

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:12 pm

On your current spouse visa you aren't entitled to claim any Public Funds under your name as you will be under immigration control until you've been granted ILR. You can however apply for tax credits in joint names, but you should make clear in the application your immigration status. As Council housing is considered a Public Fund, you can only be allocated accommodation if your wife qualifies in her own right. i.e the points awarded will be for your wife as a single person and the accommodation provided will be on this basis....unless you have children.
Regarding your question as to whether claiming public funds in your name would affect your ILR application, yes it would.

viking12
Newly Registered

Post by viking12 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:15 am

Casa wrote:On your current spouse visa you aren't entitled to claim any Public Funds under your name as you will be under immigration control until you've been granted ILR. You can however apply for tax credits in joint names, but you should make clear in the application your immigration status. As Council housing is considered a Public Fund, you can only be allocated accommodation if your wife qualifies in her own right. i.e the points awarded will be for your wife as a single person and the accommodation provided will be on this basis....unless you have children.
Regarding your question as to whether claiming public funds in your name would affect your ILR application, yes it would.
Thank you Casa.

So, if my wife applies for council housing (and we also let them know that I will be living there as well) and we get one. We then lived there together. Will I have problems come the time of my ILR application?

My wife is also a few months pregnant, not sure if this changes any eligibility.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:03 pm

You won't have a problem with council housing as long as it's been provided for a single person. i.e If your wife would have been given the housing in her own right. It will then depend on whether the accommodation that's allocated is considered adequate for the two of you. Your wife's pregnancy may give her more points. Congratulations by the way.
Housing association properties as opposed to Council housing don't come under Public Funds.

viking12
Newly Registered

Post by viking12 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:22 pm

Casa wrote:You won't have a problem with council housing as long as it's been provided for a single person. i.e If your wife would have been given the housing in her own right. It will then depend on whether the accommodation that's allocated is considered adequate for the two of you. Your wife's pregnancy may give her more points. Congratulations by the way.
Housing association properties as opposed to Council housing don't come under Public Funds.
Thanks again for your help.

I'm kind of confused about the different housing possibilities. If possible could you please elaborate on the type of housing schemes (including council renting) that is available to my wife?