ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Parents - Settlement Visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

UKRanger
Newly Registered

Parents - Settlement Visa

Post by UKRanger » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:00 pm

My Father is over 65 and my mother is 59. They are in India and lonely and have no one to be with them. I want to take care of them by bringing them to the UK where I can take care of them well. After checking through the UKVisa website, I thought we have acquired the eligibility for a settlement visa, as it says if the father is over 65 and the mother is travelling together then both of them can apply together. My parents have also been financially dependent on me from the past 8-10 years. However this Monday when my dad visited the visa office for the interview, his application was rejected. The visa officer has been very rude to my dad accusing him of lying and fraud. My father is in almost a state of shock because of this and is hurt and upset that someone could treat him like this and not believe his situation.
One of the several reasons the officer has mentioned was that we had mentioned in the application that I have an elder brother. However because of an unfortunate state of personal events, my elder brother has completely cut any contact, support or care of my parents. We dont even know where he lives, and we are trying to find this out. The last I had heard from one of his friend was that he is in the US. We clearly had mentioned in the application form that my parents have two sons. But the office does not believe that we do not have any contact with my elder brother and is of the opinion that my parents are lying about the loss of contact, just to get across to the UK.
I have just become a citizen of UK in the beginning of this year, and my father turned 65 this year as well. We recently had a baby and the officer has mentioned in the refusal notice that me and my parents have been "motivated by childcare". This cannot be further from the truth. I have wanted to get my parents here from a long time, because they are lonely and depressed in India. I could not bring them earlier because they were simply not eligible till I became a British citizen and my dad turned 65 this year.
It has been an extremely upsetting few days, and all of us are extremely upset and disappointed over the assumptions the officer has made. We had decided to be totally honest and that is why we did mention about my elder brother. We could have probably not mentioned anything about him and said that I was the only son. But we did not want to hide anything about my brother and be totally truthful. However the fact that we have been honest about this has been turned into a case where the office now believes we are dishonest!
The officer also asked my dad about the exact date of the last financial transaction. when my dad opened the bank passbook to show him the date, he was shouted at and told to close the book immediately and only mention it from memory! I dont think it is relevant to mention the date from memory, as long as their is evidence of the transaction in the bank documents. When my father mentioned the month and year, he was again asked for the exact day. My father could not remember this day. And for this the officer has mentioned that my father hesitated and the evidence is not credible! I cannot believe a more rude, unjust and unfair method. Is this an exam? Why should a visa applicant be expected to memorise the dates?
I guess the only way forward is to apply for an appeal? I have already sent a complaint mentioning the above experience of my dad with the office. Does anyone have any idea of how the appeal system works? Is it easy? It is probably very stressful. Whom should I approach? I really have absolutely no idea. Any feedback and guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

captain74

Post by captain74 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:34 pm

Out of curiosity - was the visa offer named Monisha Kotecha?

She tried to be funny with me as well a couple of years back when I went to get my visa from Delhi. In fact she was rude to just about everybody who went in before me for the interview.

As it happened I was a serving army officer (Indian Army) at that time and as such not tuned to tolerating nonsense. I gave it back to her nice and proper and the matter was escalated to her superiors on my insistance and finally settled with an apology from her for being rude and the grant of the visa.

In my view you have nothing to lose and you must complain and follow it up till action is taken. In fact take it up in as many ways as possible starting from the routine appeal to the High Commission in India right through to a person letter to your MP here in the UK now that you are a citizen.

You are merely asking for consideration of an application on an unbiased basis - for which you are paying hard earned money - and respect - which everybody deserves without exception.

Golauk

Post by Golauk » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:07 pm

Captain74

Kotecha is a rudest of EC officer. I encounter her 2 years back when I go with my wife for her interview.

Regards

GolaUk
God is Great!

UKRanger
Newly Registered

Post by UKRanger » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:25 pm

Captain74, thanks for your comments and reply. I have approached a lawyer and he has submitted a request for review of the interview. We have been told to wait for 20 days.

It was not Kotecha. It was someone called Mr Robson in Chennai. Although now I have a feeling, most of these officers must be really rude, arrogant, snobbish people who enjoy sadistic pleasure from the authority they have been given, and view most applicants with disapproval and almost judge them with an impression of “guilty until proven innocent”!

The UK home office has become a useless and inefficient authority. It is a laughing and most shameful matter that a modern developed country like UK allows terrorists, thieves, criminal gangs and imposters to freely move in and out of their country to carry out all the crimes they commit, and also claim benefits!!! But it does not allow a middle aged lonely depressed couple to be taken care of by their son. It is a matter of great shame to the home office that BBC’s panorama programme by Shahida Tulaganova, a few days ago, exposed that she could easily get fake UK passports and enter the country through immigration control without any problem! Absolutely disgusting, and an insult to people like my dad who have been refused justice.

I am now beginning to rethink my entire decision of having to settle in this damn country. All these 7 years, me and my wife have been contributing well to the society, been high rate tax payers through out been decent citizens obeying the law. Even most of the local British people I meet are fed up with the state of affairs here and are two of them are moving to Canada and one of them is moving to France.

man1976

Post by man1976 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:31 am

Hi UKRanger,
Sad to hear this happened to your family. I was planning to apply for my parents and this has made me some what worried. Is it possible for you to share your lawyers details. I mean do they really know in and outs. Also if you can share contact details

Regards
Man1976

VikramB
Newly Registered

Post by VikramB » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:19 pm

Hi UKranger,

Any luck with your appeal?

Thanks
Vik

man1976

Post by man1976 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:23 pm

Hi UK Ranger
Any luck with the appeal??

jbb

Any news?

Post by jbb » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:08 pm

My father is living alone since last 3 years in India.

I want to bring him with me in UK.

Is there any hope that I can get my father in UK on my dependent.

Thanks.
Last edited by jbb on Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jbb

Can anyone please provide guidance

Post by jbb » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:59 pm

Hi,

Can someone please provide guidance on bringing my father to UK on dependent visa as per my previous update.

olisun
Diamond Member

Re: Can anyone please provide guidance

Post by olisun » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:47 pm

jbb wrote:Hi,

Can someone please provide guidance on bringing my father to UK on dependent visa as per my previous update.
Almost next to impossible as you have "close" relatives back in India

Ayse Kara
Newly Registered

Post by Ayse Kara » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:50 am

hi pls view all my post. I had similar problem. I won my appeal last week but my mum can only come to UK as visitor other than that not possible.

Ayse Kara
Newly Registered

Post by Ayse Kara » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:52 am

They will always find excuse not to let our family come tu Uk to live with us.

Ayse Kara
Newly Registered

buying property in UK

Post by Ayse Kara » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:56 am

:) if someone from abroad (not EU member) buys property in UK can the person be able to apply for resident visa? and how often need to renew it?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: buying property in UK

Post by Wanderer » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:10 pm

Ayse Kara wrote::) if someone from abroad (not EU member) buys property in UK can the person be able to apply for resident visa? and how often need to renew it?
No. Just not possible I'm afraid and quite frankly very necessary - imagine the scramble for every crappy shithole property if it was possible.....

hmm

Post by hmm » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:10 pm

It is to everybody who applied for dependent visa for you parents...
What happen in the end?
please update

tote
BANNED

Post by tote » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:25 pm

What dop you mean they are lonely and depressed. They have each other, I think they will become morte lonely coming to a completely foreign country not knowing anyone at all.