ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Once my non EU wife arrives in Ireland, what do we do ?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bazzare
Newly Registered

Once my non EU wife arrives in Ireland, what do we do ?

Post by bazzare » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:32 am

Firstly sorry for all the questions below but I am finding this whole process very stressful and just feel confused and just want to know exactly where we stand.

To explain my circumstances,I am an Irish man, who has just got married in Thailand, and currently living in Bangkok with my Thai wife.

We have applied to the Irish Embassy in Kuala Lumpur for a permanent, visa so my wife can return to Ireland with me, and that will enable her to live and work in Ireland long term.

We expect a decision on her visa in the next few weeks.

Im quite confused by all these rules and regulations and have been trying to make sense of what exactly the steps are.

Am I correct in thinking that hopefully once we are granted by the embassy the visa, that this is just the first step in allowing her to live in Ireland ?

When we arrive in Ireland, how many days will immigration stamp her passport for, is it indefinite ? can my wife work straight way, or must she wait ?? How long can we expect this to take ?

Then the next step is dealing with the GNIB ? and we have to get her a residence permit ?

But am i correct in thinking that even as the wife or an Irish citizen that getting thisthis is not a simple process and not guaranteed.

Surely does getting the visa from the embassy not entitle her to stay and live and work in Ireland... why the need for further red tape ? It just doesn't make sense ?

Once we arrive in Ireland can somebody please explain to me what else we need to do, where must we go, what stamp /permit should we apply for and what documents we are required to have ?

What exactly do I need to apply for in order for my wife to live and work in Ireland legally and to be able to travel to other EU countries without getting a visa ?

Also does anybody know the answer to this ,once her visa is approved by the embassy in KL, approximately how much time are we given before we have to leave for Ireland.

all answers greatly appreciated, and good lucky to you all

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:39 pm

Once your wife receives her visa to enter ireland, she will be given a a few months to ENTER the state. The visa is only for entering Ireland.
At the airport her passport will be stamped for 3 months as a visitor (stamp 3).
Once in ireland, you both have to go to GNIB (if you wish even the next day). Take both your passports, marriage certificate (I hope you have the translation and the apostille), proof of joined address.
The list of the required documents is here:
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000024
The immigration officer will issue your wife a GNIB card with stamp 4 most probably for a year, and place a stamp in her passport. From that moment she will be allowed to stay in Ireland for the duration of the permission given and would be allowed to work.
The permission given to her may be between 1 to 5 years. But from the experience i would say that the first permission most likely will be for 1 year initially, but when you both return to renew it, it may be longer then.
It's at the discretion of the immigration officer.
Your wife will need a re-entry visa to Ireland, free of charge.
As your wife will be issued with Stamp 4, and not stamp 4EUFAM, she will require visa while travelling in Europe. But the schengen visa should be issued to her for free and in a speedy manner.

courny

Post by courny » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:47 pm

agniukas wrote:Once your wife receives her visa to enter ireland, she will be given a a few months to ENTER the state. The visa is only for entering Ireland.
At the airport her passport will be stamped for 3 months as a visitor (stamp 3).
Once in ireland, you both have to go to GNIB (if you wish even the next day). Take both your passports, marriage certificate (I hope you have the translation and the apostille), proof of joined address.
The list of the required documents is here:
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000024
The immigration officer will issue your wife a GNIB card with stamp 4 most probably for a year, and place a stamp in her passport. From that moment she will be allowed to stay in Ireland for the duration of the permission given and would be allowed to work.
The permission given to her may be between 1 to 5 years. But from the experience i would say that the first permission most likely will be for 1 year initially, but when you both return to renew it, it may be longer then.
It's at the discretion of the immigration officer.
Your wife will need a re-entry visa to Ireland, free of charge.
As your wife will be issued with Stamp 4, and not stamp 4EUFAM, she will require visa while travelling in Europe. But the schengen visa should be issued to her for free and in a speedy manner.

Who won't she be given a stamp4EUfam? why only stamp 4?
as the wife of an irish citizen does she not ahem right to travel within europe visa free?

courny

Post by courny » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:48 pm

i mean.... would she be given visas at the airport when they arrive at a particular destination or while the husband have to apply for visa's before traveling?

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:04 pm

spouses of irish nationals in ireland are not entitled to stamp 4EUFAM. it's only for the spouses of other EU nationals, coming to work in ireland.
i would advise to apply for a schengen visa for a multiple entry for at least 1 year and then travel with ease within europe.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Re: Once my non EU wife arrives in Ireland, what do we do ?

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:44 pm

bazzare wrote:Firstly sorry for all the questions below but I am finding this whole process very stressful and just feel confused and just want to know exactly where we stand.

To explain my circumstances,I am an Irish man, who has just got married in Thailand, and currently living in Bangkok with my Thai wife.

We have applied to the Irish Embassy in Kuala Lumpur for a permanent, visa so my wife can return to Ireland with me, and that will enable her to live and work in Ireland long term.

We expect a decision on her visa in the next few weeks.

Im quite confused by all these rules and regulations and have been trying to make sense of what exactly the steps are.

Am I correct in thinking that hopefully once we are granted by the embassy the visa, that this is just the first step in allowing her to live in Ireland ?

When we arrive in Ireland, how many days will immigration stamp her passport for, is it indefinite ? can my wife work straight way, or must she wait ?? How long can we expect this to take ?

Then the next step is dealing with the GNIB ? and we have to get her a residence permit ?

But am i correct in thinking that even as the wife or an Irish citizen that getting thisthis is not a simple process and not guaranteed.

Surely does getting the visa from the embassy not entitle her to stay and live and work in Ireland... why the need for further red tape ? It just doesn't make sense ?

Once we arrive in Ireland can somebody please explain to me what else we need to do, where must we go, what stamp /permit should we apply for and what documents we are required to have ?

What exactly do I need to apply for in order for my wife to live and work in Ireland legally and to be able to travel to other EU countries without getting a visa ?

Also does anybody know the answer to this ,once her visa is approved by the embassy in KL, approximately how much time are we given before we have to leave for Ireland.

all answers greatly appreciated, and good lucky to you all
If you are not in a rush to return to Ireland, you could consider exercising treaty rights in another EU country first and later moving back to Ireland. You could for example, apply for a family permit from the UK authorities in Bangkok, perhaps work in the UK for a period and return to Ireland together at leisure. Your wife could obtain EU documentation (article 10 residence card) from the Irish authorities at that point. Both the UK and Irish residence cards would allow visa-free travel in the EU.

This is just something you might want to consider.

There is a very helpful blog about this subject here.
http://eumovement.wordpress.com/2007/04 ... ional-law/

Irisheddy

Post by Irisheddy » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:07 pm

agniukas wrote:spouses of irish nationals in ireland are not entitled to stamp 4EUFAM. it's only for the spouses of other EU nationals, coming to work in ireland.
i would advise to apply for a schengen visa for a multiple entry for at least 1 year and then travel with ease within europe.
How does one apply for a schengen visa?

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:14 pm

You have to apply at one of the EU countries, belonging to schengen, embassies. It has to be the country which you, as a holder of a schengen visa, will visit first.
Lets say you are planning to go to France, then you apply for a schenden visa from a french embassy in Dublin, if residing in ireland.