ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

need help, i am very confused not much time

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

shayh0404
Newly Registered

need help, i am very confused not much time

Post by shayh0404 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:29 am

hello all im am not sure if this is posted in the right place

my husband is born jamaican i am born irish
we live in london with our children my husband has a 5 year eea rc which was issued this year.

sadly we have to travel to ireland for a funeral on suday 19th tickets have been booked, i phoned the irish embassy to find out if its okay for my husband to travel to ireland with his RC and they told me its not enought he needs a visa as well.

i though that if he had a rc he did not need one i am confused, are they right?
if you need any more information to help me let me know

were very stressed at such a difficult time!!!!

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:27 am

Under Irish law he is fine to enter with the UK issued Residence Card
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

shayh0404
Newly Registered

Post by shayh0404 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:07 pm

Thank you for your reply that is what I have always believed as well.
When I phoned the Embassy today they claimed that the residence card is just documentation giving my husband the right to live in England not to travel to other EU countries.
However I'm really unsure, confused and worried that something could go wrong or he will be turned away and cannot travel with the family. Do you know who of a website's that I will be able to print off that law from just to take with us.

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:57 pm

The European Directive can be found on http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 038:en:NOT
Article 5 (Right of entry) is the most important in your case.
Family members who are not nationals of a Member State shall only be required to have an entry visa in accordance with Regulation (EC) No 539/2001 or, where appropriate, with national law. For the purposes of this Directive, possession of the valid residence card referred to in Article 10 shall exempt such family members from the visa requirement.
Also very useful reading is found at http://ec.europa.eu/justice/citizen/fil ... _ec_en.pdf
Last edited by fysicus on Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:01 pm

See similar thread - UK RC and want to visit Ireland.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:58 pm

shayh0404 wrote:Thank you for your reply that is what I have always believed as well.
When I phoned the Embassy today they claimed that the residence card is just documentation giving my husband the right to live in England not to travel to other EU countries.
However I'm really unsure, confused and worried that something could go wrong or he will be turned away and cannot travel with the family. Do you know who of a website's that I will be able to print off that law from just to take with us.
You can print this.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2011/en/si/0146.html