ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

A Surrinder Singh case seeking to apply for student finance

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Jamaican1
Newly Registered

A Surrinder Singh case seeking to apply for student finance

Post by Jamaican1 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:53 am

I applied to SFE for student finance last year as I was about to commence a degree programme and my application was declined.

I was told that, as I was a Jamaican holding an EEA Family Permit obtained through marriage to a British National who lived in Switzerland before we both moved here to England; they were not sure where I fit in.
They then sent my application to the Migrant Workers Team who promptly deleted my application. I was then told to make a new application to the EU Team and my application was successful.

As an EU student I only receive help with the fees for my course. I am in desperate need of help with childcare while I am in university. As such, I rang the UE team yesterday to find out if there was any extra help available and was told by an advisor that in his opinion I should be receiving student finance via SFE and not as an EU student. In such a case I would be entitled to the full funding (ie help with childcare costs etc.), rather than just fees.

I then called SFE and after almost an hour on the phone, I was told yes I was entitled but I had to cancel my current application with the EU team. I told them I was reluctant to do so unless it was for certain that I could receive student finance via SFE. The advisor spoke to her team leader who contacted the EU team and she then came back to me and said yes it is certain that you will qualify for help from SFE, so ring the EU team and cancel your application with them and make a new one to us (SFE).

I rang the EU team and asked them to check for me firstly to ensure that I did in fact qualify before cancelling the application and was told after a long wait that they are not sure as one team leader thinks yes and another thinks no.

Can anyone advise me what to do please?

keloid

Re: A Surrinder Singh case seeking to apply for student fina

Post by keloid » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:35 pm

Jamaican1 wrote:I applied to SFE for student finance last year as I was about to commence a degree programme and my application was declined.

I was told that, as I was a Jamaican holding an EEA Family Permit obtained through marriage to a British National who lived in Switzerland before we both moved here to England; they were not sure where I fit in.
They then sent my application to the Migrant Workers Team who promptly deleted my application. I was then told to make a new application to the EU Team and my application was successful.

As an EU student I only receive help with the fees for my course. I am in desperate need of help with childcare while I am in university. As such, I rang the UE team yesterday to find out if there was any extra help available and was told by an advisor that in his opinion I should be receiving student finance via SFE and not as an EU student. In such a case I would be entitled to the full funding (ie help with childcare costs etc.), rather than just fees.

I then called SFE and after almost an hour on the phone, I was told yes I was entitled but I had to cancel my current application with the EU team. I told them I was reluctant to do so unless it was for certain that I could receive student finance via SFE. The advisor spoke to her team leader who contacted the EU team and she then came back to me and said yes it is certain that you will qualify for help from SFE, so ring the EU team and cancel your application with them and make a new one to us (SFE).

I rang the EU team and asked them to check for me firstly to ensure that I did in fact qualify before cancelling the application and was told after a long wait that they are not sure as one team leader thinks yes and another thinks no.

Can anyone advise me what to do please?
you mentioned that you were able to get some sort of student support?

had you been resident in the UK/EEA for more than 3 years prior to applying? our student loan application seems to be failing because we dont meet that criteria

zheni

Post by zheni » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:42 pm

Ask them to send it in writing so you even if later they say you are not entitled to it you will have it in black and white.
I think generally unis offer financial support for students. I think there is hardship grants or bursaries, speak to your uni as well you may be able to get something from them as well.