ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

URGENT help, application refusal! Language requirement

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

uniprinciple

URGENT help, application refusal! Language requirement

Post by uniprinciple » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:13 pm

Can anyone help??
I got the returned application today, it has been refused because of no evidence showing my degree was taught in English. Which disappoint me but I am not going to give up!!

The application was received on 5 Dec 2006 under the new rule and the decision was made on 11 Dec 2006. Awarded points 95. It's an out of the country application from New Zealand.

They claimed that I had not provided required evidence to demonstrate appropriate English language ability. I provided the degree certificates and official letter from the university BUT either one of them stated that the degree was taught in English. I didn't notice that until now, because New Zealand is an English-speaking country and given the fact that the only official language is English.

The degree certificate was given in Ceremony and the official letter is in its standard format, I have no way to specify the "Taught in English" clause be included in these two documents!!

In this case, can I actually request a review of my application? or what should I do to get the required evidence?

For those of you whose degree were taught in English, what evidences do you provide?

Thanks for the help.

shockboy2000
Member of Standing

Post by shockboy2000 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:33 pm

u cant submit new evidence for review

you must do brand new application

Guidance notes clearly state your letter must say its taught in english, even if your countries main language is english.

My aussie uni was only too happy to write me the letter and mail it to me in the UK for my HSMP renewal. Got it in less than a week.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Re: URGENT help, application refusal! Language requirement

Post by pantaiema » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:42 pm

I believe you grew up in New Zealand
If you can not speak engliesh who else foreigner could speak english ?.

How irrational it is ?

Pantaiema

uniprinciple wrote:Can anyone help??
I got the returned application today, it has been refused because of no evidence showing my degree was taught in English. Which disappoint me but I am not going to give up!!

The application was received on 5 Dec 2006 under the new rule and the decision was made on 11 Dec 2006. Awarded points 95. It's an out of the country application from New Zealand.

They claimed that I had not provided required evidence to demonstrate appropriate English language ability. I provided the degree certificates and official letter from the university BUT either one of them stated that the degree was taught in English. I didn't notice that until now, because New Zealand is an English-speaking country and given the fact that the only official language is English.

The degree certificate was given in Ceremony and the official letter is in its standard format, I have no way to specify the "Taught in English" clause be included in these two documents!!

In this case, can I actually request a review of my application? or what should I do to get the required evidence?

For those of you whose degree were taught in English, what evidences do you provide?

Thanks for the help.

uniprinciple

Post by uniprinciple » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:47 pm

Thanks shockboy...

Just called the university, they will be happy to provide that evidence for me. Stupid mistake cost me a lot...

They will include the "Taught in English" in the official letter but could not do that in the degree certificate. Do you think that will be enough?

Thanks.
shockboy2000 wrote:u cant submit new evidence for review

you must do brand new application

Guidance notes clearly state your letter must say its taught in english, even if your countries main language is english.

My aussie uni was only too happy to write me the letter and mail it to me in the UK for my HSMP renewal. Got it in less than a week.

webhunter
Member of Standing

Post by webhunter » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:50 pm

Agree with shockboy. I would suggest that dont waste any more time in appeals/reviews etc.,, Just go for a new application. If your University cant provide the letter , the best option is to sit for IELTS , The general exam is dead easy and might take a day or two of preperation.

Good luck to you and well done on the 95 points.

shockboy2000
Member of Standing

Post by shockboy2000 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:01 pm

letter is all that is required, its rarely going to be on a certificate.

ask them if they can do it on coloured paper/letterhead too.

mine came on offical letterhead but was black and white paper. The signature was in blue. Slightly worried Home Office will not like it on black n white paper...but we will see.

The whole point of getting this letter, even if u are from USA/NZ/Oz etc is that there MIGHT be universities in those countries with courses in languages other than english.
Maybe courses in aboriginal dialect in oz, maori in Nz, spanish in USA.

Its one rule for all now which is good in my opinion. Just a slight pain in the bum if you arent aware of it early enough.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:14 pm

FYI,
If your mother tongue is english you are not allowed to sit for IELTS.

This is the condition from IELTS test administrator (not HSMP). You could check it with IELTS test centre.

Pantaiema

webhunter wrote:Agree with shockboy. I would suggest that dont waste any more time in appeals/reviews etc.,, Just go for a new application. If your University cant provide the letter , the best option is to sit for IELTS , The general exam is dead easy and might take a day or two of preperation.

Good luck to you and well done on the 95 points.
Last edited by pantaiema on Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

shockboy2000
Member of Standing

Post by shockboy2000 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:34 pm

are you serious??? wow, you learn something new everyday

Is there a website with examples of what IELTS level 6 is ? i'm curious to what standard the Home Office requires our highly skilled people to be able to speak english.

uniprinciple

Post by uniprinciple » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:41 pm

I will go for a fresh application, hopefully things will be fine this time.

One lesson for it is not to take things for granted. provide what they are asking for, double check before submitting the application.

One thing that annoys me is that it took more than 20 days for the application to reach HSMP, and 25 days for me to receive the returned application with only 6 days for the decision to be made.

shockboy2000
Member of Standing

Post by shockboy2000 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:47 pm

20days ? did u attach it to a sheep who was swimming to UK ? ;)

pravtech

Post by pravtech » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:47 am

hi guys,

In the university letter and the institute letter itz given
" degree was taught in english through out the course " and the course duration mentioned 2002-2005.Is this enough ,or we need to mention the month and the year?????

thanks..

praveen

pravtech

Post by pravtech » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:57 am

itz urgent kindly reply plz...

Ang
Newly Registered

English

Post by Ang » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:38 am

Hi Pravtech,

This is what is req. and I quote

" An original letter from the awarding body on the official letter headed paper. The letter should confirm your name, the qualification obtained, the date of the award and whether the course was taught in English"

This is what is required as stated in the guidance notes. However, you can add other things such as the duration of the course as well. Extra information on a letter wont cause any harm.

All the best

pravtech

Post by pravtech » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:24 pm

Hi Ang,

this is regarding letter from Institute for english requirement.

I got the letter from the institute were itz written .

This is to certify that Mr.XXX was a student of this college during the years 2002 to 2005 with university seat number XXXX .
"The medium of instruction through out his engineering degree was in ENGLISH".
but it doesnt show the date and the month in the letter,only duration will work out ???

This may look a silly question but this silly thgs makes big diffrence to refusal,dont wanna take chance so, should i mention even the date and month in the letter ???

thanks for your reply..

praveen

shockboy2000
Member of Standing

Post by shockboy2000 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:38 pm

you said it yourself - the smallest thing could lead to refusal.

the format of the English letter is one of the few things that the Guidance Notes explain perfectly - so if you dont want to follow it - you are taking a risk.

I guess they want to match the Award certificate (which will have exact date) to the Letter

pravtech

Post by pravtech » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:43 pm

I dint get you shock,so shd i get the same letter from the university which awarded my degree???

thanks..

praveen

pravtech

Post by pravtech » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:44 pm

so you mean to say i shd give the date of award right...

shockboy2000
Member of Standing

Post by shockboy2000 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:47 pm

you need 1 letter, from the university stating all study was taught in English

it needs to say the DATE of the award. i.e. the day of the ceremony when they gave you the award. The same date that is on the certificate.

does your certificate say:
"Mr/Mrs.xxxxxxx was awarded the zzzzzzzz on dd/mm/yyyy" ?

shockboy2000
Member of Standing

Post by shockboy2000 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:48 pm

pravtech wrote:so you mean to say i shd give the date of award right...
yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss :)

pravtech

Post by pravtech » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:01 pm

ohh no shock,it doesnt have dd/mm ,i went to institute they told ,more than this they cant give the dd/mm of completion,they said u can send the degree certificate for further clarifications.donno wat to do .. :cry:

have any other option other than IELTS.can i ask them to add a note at the bottom of the letter saying the date and month of the award?? :roll:

praveen

webhunter
Member of Standing

Post by webhunter » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:05 pm

even if there is 0.0001 % of doubt with your letter, I would'nt waste my time asking the same question here again and again, Instead save that time and prepare for IELTS and then apply with 100% confidence

Hope that helps.

shockboy2000
Member of Standing

Post by shockboy2000 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:08 pm

ok, now i see why we were confused.

I think this *MAY* be a problem not just for your English requirement, but also to prove your qualifications (required for HSMP extension, not sure about initial HSMP).

To get points for the qualifications, the certificate must show:
- date of award
- title of award
- name of awarding insitution
- your name

So if they've given you a certificate with no date...i think you should ring up someone at HomeOffice/Work Permits and ask them in person before you apply.

webhunter
Member of Standing

Post by webhunter » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:13 pm

I would resist from blindly following what they say over phone. In fact, to me, the home office mentioned (over phone) that I dont need a letter from my university as some where on the back of my transcript (out of 100 lines of printed material) it mentions that the medium of instruction is english.

If I went by the above statement from home office, I would have been rejected instantly :-)

shockboy2000
Member of Standing

Post by shockboy2000 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:18 pm

i agree advice over phone isnt the highest quality service - but in this case where he/she has no date on certificate - and it may be needed for qualifications points too...its either talk on phone, send it in and pray, or make the university issue another certificate with a date.

My agency say they use this phone number: 9870 606 7766 when talking to home office and not 0114 207 4074.
I have been using the latter number, which is useless.

Anyone know if the 1st phone number gives better information ?

WoodieG
BANNED

Post by WoodieG » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:32 pm

"My agency say they use this phone number: 9870 606 7766 when talking to home office and not 0114 207 4074.
I have been using the latter number, which is useless.

Anyone know if the 1st phone number gives better information ?"

They mean 0870 606 7766, that's the number for the Immigration Inquiry Bureau in Croydon - they can't answer questions on HSMP.

You're stuck with 0114 207 4074, they're not the best but that's partly due to lack of information / guidance. They can ring caseworkers for more info if necessary, so it might help if you ask them to do that for you.
________
Uggs
Last edited by WoodieG on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.